Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Which hand tools needed to replace shocks/struts?

It's been a long time since I've changed these things out and a while back I picked up a set of TRD suspension from a fantastic member here on this forum, it's finally thawed out in Michigan that it's time for it to be swapped in. At the current time, I only have hand tools available to work with and I can't recall all what I need to do the job of taking out the old suspension and putting the new ones in. The good news is that the springs are already on the TRD struts going in, so I don't need to mess with that stuff.

Another question is I do remember ages ago when I put in the rear suspension, when trying to tighten down the nuts with a wrench...the rod from the shock would just keep spinning, I had to have a friend help me out with an air gun to tighten it down. I'd imagine it's doable with hand tools though, any advice?

Last question is, was there ever a definitive conclusion to the difference in the rear control arms about the upper and lower holes for the bolt to go into?

Thanks in advance!
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Tools:
  • 8mm allen wrench
  • 19mm socket
  • second 19mm socket for breaker bar or a 19mm wrench with a long handle
  • 14mm socket
  • second 14mm socket or wrench
  • 17mm socket
  • 17mm offset closed wrench or through-hole socket wrench

I would recommend going to microimageonline and registering for an account so that you can access the repair manuals.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Don't forget beer!

sent from my m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Thanks for the tips everyone....do you have any extra advice on how to keep those rear shocks rod from spinning when you're trying to tighten down the nuts?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
This is the reason "17mm offset closed wrench " why i havent gone to tein stech...lol

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Why would u need an offset 17 just remove the wiper cowl and wiper motor 10 mm bolts takes five min then u can get at the strut nuts ....as for rear shocks with the old once just use vise grip's that is if ur replacing them but if not just take out lower bolt and spring comes right out .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone....do you have any extra advice on how to keep those rear shocks rod from spinning when you're trying to tighten down the nuts?
If you're using the OEM nuts, there should be two on each side. You can hold the shock rod with a small adjustable wrench on the flats while you tighten the first nut. The second nut is a "jam" nut, so you just hold the first one with one wrench and tighten the second nut against the first. Make sure you get the nuts tightened down to the right distance from the end of the rod. If you don't, the rod will have extra play and will blow out the valves inside in no time flat. Don't ask me how I know that.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
GrayYaris

Drives: Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post

I would recommend going to microimageonline and registering for an account so that you can access the repair manuals.
I don't believe you need an account. I was just looking at them last night without one. Great recommendation.
GrayYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayYaris View Post
I don't believe you need an account. I was just looking at them last night without one. Great recommendation.
Interesting. I thought it was a members-only area. Could be that has changed recently.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
http://www.microimageonline.com/down...Suspension.pdf
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote