Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2016, 04:29 AM   #1
klemmaniac

Drives: none
Help with Budget and buying used Yaris

Hello everyone, I'm in the market for a hatchback and I think I've narrowed my choice of car to a Yaris. I've been budgeting (and saving) my butt off and know exactly what I can afford, so now that I have that number I'm hoping to find out, with this communities' help, what I can get with it and, if what I want is realistic and possible to begin with. Here are the details:

Budget: $11,000 for asking price, Final out the door price limit after fees and tax: $13,000
Time frame: no rush, looking to buy within 8 months.
State: Ohio (8% cap on sales tax, $250 cap on doc fee)

My aim is to get a vehicle that will last 20 years or longer with minimum and low cost maintenance. I need a hatchback for transportation of equipment. I'm not a car guy and not handy with them and would prefer not to have to do any work on it myself outside of the most basic upkeep. The "personality" or style of a car, or any bells and whistles or tech related accessories, color, 2 doors or 4 doors etc. is not important to me - I just want it to work, be reliable, be relatively safe and last a very long time without major issues. Use would be mostly city driving and rare long road trips of 3,000 miles or so. I imagine my mileage would wind up being avg in the long run at 12-15k/year.

I need help deciding on what models and mileage limit would be adequate and suitable given my needs above. Based on some research, I would ideally like to find an Automatic transmission '09, '10, '11, or '15 model with as low miles as possible (I'm thinking under 50,000). I would also be open to '02 through '05 models though I'm not sure if that is a good idea with my idea of longevity in mind (i.e. 20+ years of use). I've read about too many complaints with some of the other model years (I know they're still relatively reliable, but I've never bought used before, I can't afford to make a financial mistake and I need the peace of mind so I'm avoiding them).

Given this information, is it possible for me to find what I am looking for with my budget? It would be perfect if I could find a certified pre-owned Yaris, but I'm not sure if that's possible with my budget. I did find this listing and wanted to ask about it as it looks perfect for what I'm looking for even if it is outside of my budget. Just in case I wanted to post a link to it just as an example of my ideal listing and ask if it might be too good a deal to pass up given my goals or should I keep waiting and find something within my budget that would fulfill my requirements? Also, out of curiosity after, negotiating what do you all estimate an out the door price would look like for this if the price was negotiated down as much as possible?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7599/overview/

here is one closer to my budget with a good maintenance record but 78,000 miles - not sure if that's too high for my purposes.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...31539708&Log=0

The final question is, can I expect to find a used Yaris that will last 20 years with low maintenance costs with my budget and if so, which model year and mileage limit should I aim for assuming that the history reports and maintenance records are good?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Last edited by klemmaniac; 07-22-2016 at 05:54 AM.
klemmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:26 AM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
??
Old 07-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
The infamous disappearing first post bug-a-boo.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
klemmaniac

Is that what that is? well here it is again.

in an effort to simplify my question. If you had a out the door $13k budget for a used hatchback (preferably a Yaris), and were looking to use the car for as long as possible with low maintenance costs in mind, what kind of listing would you be looking for - what mileage limit, model year, trim etc.? I'm trying to focus my search and get an idea of what's realistic and attainable given my budget and get the most bang out of my buck.

Last edited by klemmaniac; 07-23-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
This is a bit of a dilemma...

Since you're considering a 3000+ mile ocasional trip, I stongly suggest avoiding the bare-basic CE trim Toyota models. No cruise control on a trip like that will not make your left foot happy...

However, a 3rd gen. Yaris with low milage in an LE trim, might be over your budget.

My advice, don't be afraid of higher milage on these 3rd gen. sub-compact cars from Honda or Toyota. They are built to last. Maintenance and upkeep, will not burn a hole in your pocket unless the vehicle wasn't properly maintained in the past. Just make sure you do a thorough inspection, and research about common problems, rust spots, maintenance history etc. to help you make an informed decision.

Be especially weary of previous accidents. With 2 accidents on file on my 2009 Yaris, before I bought it, let me tell you, i still can't het my front bumper to sit as it should...
Old 07-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
http://www.hertzcarsalescincinnati.c...rch=Hatchback&
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
klemmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
This is a bit of a dilemma...

Since you're considering a 3000+ mile ocasional trip, I stongly suggest avoiding the bare-basic CE trim Toyota models. No cruise control on a trip like that will not make your left foot happy...

However, a 3rd gen. Yaris with low milage in an LE trim, might be over your budget.

My advice, don't be afraid of higher milage on these 3rd gen. sub-compact cars from Honda or Toyota. They are built to last. Maintenance and upkeep, will not burn a hole in your pocket unless the vehicle wasn't properly maintained in the past. Just make sure you do a thorough inspection, and research about common problems, rust spots, maintenance history etc. to help you make an informed decision.

Be especially weary of previous accidents. With 2 accidents on file on my 2009 Yaris, before I bought it, let me tell you, i still can't het my front bumper to sit as it should...
Ok I'll definitely look for a model with cruise control - thank for the tip. I thought I might be being too conservative with my mileage limit of 30-40k. I've read other posts from owners who said that theirs was around 100k or more and didn't need anything but routine maintenance/oil. I'm think I should up my mileage limit to around 80k - does that sound reasonable for still having a good shot at minimal maintenance issues for a good while? At what mileage would you stop considering a listing if you were in my shoes?

Also I found a decent deal on a '15 model but it's made in France which worries me a bit. I'm reading about complaints on the interior materials - lack of durability, easily breaks, and also about parts being installed incorrectly at the factory. What was the last model made in Japan? 2013?

To the other poster thanks for the link but rentals are out of the question. I can't afford to take the risk.