Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
Maritime

Drives: 2008 yaris 5dr hatch
Baja Yaris

Hello folks, Been lurking for a bit, this is a great Yaris resource. I decided that I want to do something funky with my 2008 5 door hatch M/T. I've always wanted a Baja VW but will never have the $$ for one so I decided I want to make my Yaris a Baja offroader. I see others have done it before me but not a lot. I know our little beaters are popular in the EU and UK and have found a lift kit out of Russia for 172 USD. I plan to use that and put a set of 27x8.5R14 general grabber ATX tires on her. A roof rack and basket with a hitch and I should be able to take the little car fishing and to some out of the way mountain bike trail heads. If I can scrap together the $$ the next phase will be the 2ZR swap with an LSD. I live in Eastern Canada, Woodstock NB and the added clearance and AT tires will also mean easier time getting to and from work in the snow. 12" coming this weekend to add to the 2' we have already. The project will be mid summer when the current set of tires get low enough I need to change them, although the lift may happen sooner for winter clearance, I have winter tires on steel 14". Car has 358K KM's on it, just got a new set of KYB struts and shocks front and back, should have got the lift when I did those in hind site.

Summer Wheels I'll use with the Grabbers:

tires:

Lift Kit which will give me 1" front and 1.5" back:

I know 2-3 other members have made their own lifts but I think that will be a breeze to install and looks like it will fit and work well.

Cheers for now.

Maritime
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Any year of scion xd springs/struts will bolt right in. I don't know the exact height increase but its enough to 'almost' 205/65/15 tires with slight inner fender liner rubbing. I fixed that by installing the xd fender liners with the springs as they are slightly larger and kinda fit. Some trimming will be required. To get those 27's to fit, I imagine you'll need much more clearance. Ready your cut off wheel and bfh. Good thing is your car is Hugh mileage and you shouldn't feel too bad about making room lol

Also account for fuel economy. My car is a bit of a pig now with these big winters fitted. About 6.5l/100 average on stock size tires. Closer to 8 now with the bigger shoes.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Not even easy to find a scrapped xd here in toronto. Theyre just not that popular. I got lucky with the high mileage donor I found. I do suggest to keep an eye open for one if you're thinking of the 2zr swap. You'll get everything you need for your swap ( less the '08 ecu) right down to the hoses and harness brackets. Plus bigger brakes and all suspension components (which is really only useful if you plan to raise the car slightly)

Old 01-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
Maritime

oh, also if I hadn't just put a full set of KYB struts&shocks plus links etc I would just buy the XD. I didn't think of the Baja thing until a week or so after I did that LOL.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
Maritime

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Not even easy to find a scrapped xd here in toronto. Theyre just not that popular. I got lucky with the high mileage donor I found. I do suggest to keep an eye open for one if you're thinking of the 2zr swap. You'll get everything you need for your swap ( less the '08 ecu) right down to the hoses and harness brackets. Plus bigger brakes and all suspension components (which is really only useful if you plan to raise the car slightly)

Yeah, that would be great but I've never seen an XD on the road around here let alone in the yards. My plan would be a low miles corolla then Ebay for the rest. The swap threads here a really good. I've done a civic back in the day but haven't even thought about the yaris until recently it is starting to grind in 2&4 and so may need transmission work. If I got to pull the engine for that, might as well swap it cause 358K is getting up there even for a Toyota. It's still original clutch too.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Can you share the link for the lift kit? I'm pretty curious.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
Maritime

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-li...~vgz:rk:3:pf:0

Looks simple enough, strut top bolt extender and spacer for strut, rear spring seat extender like for jeeps.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
Maritime

also looking at this. its modular so I can swap it between the yaris and the CRV depending on needs:
Old 01-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
Leegamer

Cool, looking forward to seeing this project come together.

If you want to make it really exciting you could try to rig up some AWD.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
Maritime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Cool, looking forward to seeing this project come together.

If you want to make it really exciting you could try to rig up some AWD.
Ha, that would be rad but way out of budget. I'll be lucky of I can manage a 2ZR swap and afford an LSD when the original motor finally bites the bullet. the lift, tires and rack are all budget friendly.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Yea an LSD is about $1600 cad for a quaife. Plus install. Its not a budget friendly mod... But sometime you gotta say f-the budget lol

Old 01-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #12
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
Ha, that would be rad but way out of budget. I'll be lucky of I can manage a 2ZR swap and afford an LSD when the original motor finally bites the bullet. the lift, tires and rack are all budget friendly.
Fair enough! Still going to be awesome and probably quite capable
Old 01-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
Maritime

Quote:
Yea an LSD is about $1600 cad for a quaife. Plus install. Its not a budget friendly mod... But sometime you gotta say f-the budget lol

Ha yep. If it comes to swap time, 1600 + an engine will be cheaper than a new car and I can do the install. I play with cars and bikes all the time so labor is non-issue.

On the clearance front. I currently run 185/65 14 general altimax on the summer wheels. Got them at Tirerack and specs are 23.5" diameter, 7.4" at the widest with a 5.4" tread width. Weigh 16 lbs. the Grabbers are 26.9" Diam, 8.6" W and 29lbs. that 13 lbs of rotational mass will suck the MPG and the acceleration, as well as braking I bet. It's not a hot rod now but it will take some adjustments to driving style I think. I'll need to get 1.7" of clearance to fit those tires so that lift kit may not work. I was looking at a few different tire options and may have messed up sizes in my head. Need to think a bit more on the lifting.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #14
Maritime

I'm not looking to rock crawl and go mudding. logging roads and fields etc will be doable, especially because the Yaris is so light. I think when looking for tires I was considering DOT legal side by side tires in a 14" that were 25-26" but decided against those.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #15
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Ha yep. If it comes to swap time, 1600 + an engine will be cheaper than a new car and I can do the install. I play with cars and bikes all the time so labor is non-issue.

On the clearance front. I currently run 185/65 14 general altimax on the summer wheels. Got them at Tirerack and specs are 23.5" diameter, 7.4" at the widest with a 5.4" tread width. Weigh 16 lbs. the Grabbers are 26.9" Diam, 8.6" W and 29lbs. that 13 lbs of rotational mass will suck the MPG and the acceleration, as well as braking I bet. It's not a hot rod now but it will take some adjustments to driving style I think. I'll need to get 1.7" of clearance to fit those tires so that lift kit may not work. I was looking at a few different tire options and may have messed up sizes in my head. Need to think a bit more on the lifting.
You'd be surprised on the braking front. I honestly didnt notice much difference on my 205/65/15. The Yaris brakes are pretty good right from factory. Nothing like the many domestic vehicles I've had. I swear they built those brakes just to pass a dot standards.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
I'm not looking to rock crawl and go mudding. logging roads and fields etc will be doable, especially because the Yaris is so light. I think when looking for tires I was considering DOT legal side by side tires in a 14" that were 25-26" but decided against those.
Serious offroading is better left to anything but a Yaris. But like most of us wanting to lift our cars, I'm sure your just looking for more ground cleaance. Personally the reason I want to lift my car is so I don't have to shovel he snow berm left by the plow at 4am to go to work and not having to worry about destroying the front number on said berm.

Also I'd imagine side by side tires would pretty loud rollin down those nifty 110km/h hiways got down home.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #17
Maritime

Quote:
You'd be surprised on the braking front. I honestly didnt notice much difference on my 205/65/15. The Yaris brakes are pretty good right from factory. Nothing like the many domestic vehicles I've had. I swear they built those brakes just to pass a dot standards.
good to know. I never have had an issue either. The only thing I find is going back and forth between Honda and Toyota which I have done for 20+ years having one of each in the stable. Honda brakes start immediately, Toyota start half way through the travel and that catches me sometimes. I either hit them too hard and stop short or realize I'm not pushing enough and have to hit em harder LOL. and it's the same on the Yaris, Rav4, T100, Tundra pedal moves half way before brakes start working. CRV Civic, accord, pilot brakes start with just a slight pressure. Not sure if that can be changed but it's something i've noticed. Both brands brake very well. GMC/Ford/Crysler you push and hope to hell the car stops eventually LOL.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
Maritime

Quote:
Serious offroading is better left to anything but a Yaris. But like most of us wanting to lift our cars, I'm sure your just looking for more ground cleaance. Personally the reason I want to lift my car is so I don't have to shovel he snow berm left by the plow at 4am to go to work and not having to worry about destroying the front number on said berm.

Also I'd imagine side by side tires would pretty loud rollin down those nifty 110km/h hiways got down home.
Yep, exactly the reason, my drive is a hill and getting the car up to the house so I can then blow out the drive is not easy or impossible if there is more than 2-3" of snow, front plows in and lifts the tires and then you spin away. even an inch more would help. I have a fused ankle and can't walk well on hills when dry, add snow and ice and it's dangerous. I want it to still drive ok on the Highways but be better on the crap secondary roads I commute on and also get me to some good fishing and riding spots. I can get there now, but I drag the bumper and possibly the exhaust and don't want that.