Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
tadakun

Drives: 09 Yaris
need car seat info please!

Hey guys I'm new to the forums and I joined mainly because I figured this may be a great resource.

My wife and I are expecting and we only have our '09 3door Yaris. We need to find a car seat obviously. Well I checked out the carseat.org place and saw that they say only 2 car seats fit our car. However I know that the 3d has the anchor straps and anchor on the back of the seat for the top anchor points.

will any car seat fit then? or is there another reason why they say only the britax and 1st years carseat fits?

obviously I'm clueless cause this is our first. Oh and its a little girl

anyways I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

p.s. we have the 3 door and bench seat.

We were looking at the infant carrier that locks into the stroller, but unsure if the stroller would even fit in the trunk. thanks again!

Last edited by tadakun; 07-23-2010 at 03:38 AM. Reason: add info
tadakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Any car seat will work fine with the Yaris. In the time that I've had mine we have transitioned from the forward facing <32 lb car seat to the booster seat. The flat bottom of the rear Yaris seat makes any fit well. My Xterra was a hassle with the car seats, as the bottom of the rear seat has a significant slope to the rear.
CTScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Ayaz

Drives: 09 4 door sedan
Yeah I agree. Any car seat will fit. I had the baby car seat, now I have a booster and they both have fit in the car.

As for the Car seat that can transfer to the stroller, I don't have a hb, but that is actually what swayed me from buying the hatch. I looked at the space int he back, and I truley don't think the stoller would fit int here.

Alot of baby stores, like babies r us would let you take teh floor modle out witht ehir associate to see if the strolelr would fit. You just have to ask. I have seen it being done here in Canada.
Ayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
i have a 3dr hatch and a 4month old and most travel systems will not work out, mainly because the stroller will not fit. but the car seat with base works just fine in my car.

just get a graco car seat and a graco infant car seat frame style stroller that will fit easily. when your child gets older many of the non travel system strollers fold up pretty small fitting much easier in the yaris. you can find them both at babies r us of course but the frame style stroller try to find one on craigslist first

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
tadakun

thanks guy! we went to Babiesrus today after our appointment ( we got to see her again!). I measure the trunk space and it looks to be about 39w x 24d and i folded up the strollers and measured some of the travel systems strollers measured around 27 x 19 so I may have found a few that will work.

we found a graco stroller that will fit a matching infant seat but is not sold as a pair (travel system) that measures far below the trunk space. It may be our best bet.

we have the bench seat so our anchors are tucked over the back of the seat and at the bottom. Just have to find out if the strap will reach or if there is a add on strap to let it reach
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
most car seat tether straps are super LONG and should reach to the back - you will have 2 remove the headposts - and make sure 1 person sits with a knee HARD DOWN into the bracket - while the other person yanks the strap at the back (or 1 person who has long arms can do it) - just to get a tight fit - in a matter of car trips u will be experts in this - sadly those straps will eventually stretch your back seat padding - but you are protecting a newborn afterall (I should show you the damage that happened to our 09 Rav4 Ltd leather back seats)
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Certainly any car seat will fit. However, you need to remember that any rear-facing seat will consume lots of room and may require you to move the front seats up some. You just need to decide whether you want a dedicated RF seat or one that will convert to a FF seat when your child is old enough and heavy enough to do so.

Also, with the 3 door, there may be a temptation to place the seat on one side or the other. I strongly recommend, as would any expert, to place the seat in the middle for the safety of the little one.

Congrats!! Once you get through that first 3-4 months, which can be exhausting, being a parent really gets fun!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
tadakun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Certainly any car seat will fit. However, you need to remember that any rear-facing seat will consume lots of room and may require you to move the front seats up some. You just need to decide whether you want a dedicated RF seat or one that will convert to a FF seat when your child is old enough and heavy enough to do so.

Also, with the 3 door, there may be a temptation to place the seat on one side or the other. I strongly recommend, as would any expert, to place the seat in the middle for the safety of the little one.

Congrats!! Once you get through that first 3-4 months, which can be exhausting, being a parent really gets fun!

thank you for that, I was considering behind the driver seat because i figure side impacts are more common on the passenger side (since turning left is often more....stressful than making a right hand turn i find) and my wife and I are no taller than 5'6" so i dont think us having room to push the seats forward is a ordeal. I'll definitely talk to my wife about this though (shes in charge lol)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
samuraivince

Drives: 08 Yaris hatchback
thanks for info, i was gonna put my rearfaceing seat on the rear passenger side for the sake of not having to push my seat forward, but will now put it in the middle. i have a Step 1 seat from babies-r-us and it seems to move from side to side like 2 inches, this is my first child (due in 4 weeks) is that normal? i am useing the supplied teathers, someone told me it wouldnt move as mush if i used the seatbelt. is it a good idea if i teathered it and used the seatbelt?
samuraivince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraivince View Post
thanks for info, i was gonna put my rearfaceing seat on the rear passenger side for the sake of not having to push my seat forward, but will now put it in the middle. i have a Step 1 seat from babies-r-us and it seems to move from side to side like 2 inches, this is my first child (due in 4 weeks) is that normal? i am useing the supplied teathers, someone told me it wouldnt move as mush if i used the seatbelt. is it a good idea if i teathered it and used the seatbelt?
A properly installed seat should be rock solid. When my kids were still in car seats, I used both the tether and the seat belt.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
samuraivince

Drives: 08 Yaris hatchback
thanks scott! i ended up decideing to just leave the car seat in my wife's somewhat larger pontiac g5 (chevy cobalt). it seemed like that seat just wasnt meant for my car lol
samuraivince is offline   Reply With Quote