Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
christolphe

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB- Sexy Blue!
Send a message via Yahoo to christolphe
Question Customizing Questions...

Hey! New Yaris owner here! I bought a 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback. Blue (check out my pics). I am in the process of updating it...chroming it out. Not Over doing it. I am doing it all myself. 4 Questions though:

*Does anyone know a company that makes the Halo Chrome Headlights for the 2009 Yaris Hatchback...every seller I find only carries up to 2008 models and they say they wont work on 2009 models? So I don't know what to do.

*Does anyone know where to find Pennsylvania law for tinted windows and under-car lights?

*Has anyone ever installed under car lights?

*Also, can anyone recommend any good rims?

THANKS GUYS/GIRLS!

Any additional advice on updating my car please feel free to post!

PEACE!

-Chris

www.myspace.com/ctbus
www.csretrochicboutique.etsy.com
christolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Looks like you can't really do much with dark tint. Only legal tint is 70%, which is pretty much nothing other than a UV filter layer.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/PA/

Welcome to the forums, btw.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
No clue about the underglow (which I personally don't like). You might be able to get away with using a color that's not red or blue, and if you only use them on the sides and not the front/rear.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Welcome to the forums!
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
christolphe

Thanks Kaotic! I wasn't for sure about the underglow...I'm still on the fence about them... thanks for the tint info! That sucks though! 70%! Blah! Not even worth it. Thanks again!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
christolphe

echo hrs.....Do you know when they do make the replacements? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
techincally the same holds true for tinting the windows on a car in NY but the cops don't bother you unless you're acting like an idiot. i've had 2 cars without minimal hassle about the window tint. as far as rims, i'm a big fan of the konig heliums. i'm waiting to get a little more $$$ in the bank before i invest in some myself. i've never done under car lights but i've done quite a few neons inside which i would think is pretty similar. the wiring itself should be pretty straight forward, just make sure it's fused so if you get a surge it doesn't burn out anything electrical it'll just blow a fuse. i usually got a fuse tap and found a spare fuse opening to get the power from (make sure the fuse is hot all the time if you're going to have the lights on with the car off), ran that to a switch, ground goes to metal, and power runs to your lights. and things with lights (like switches and stuff) still need to be grounded. as far as placement or securing them, i would be no help to you
Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
christolphe

Ryota...the konig heliums rims are sweet! Thanks for the other info! I don't think I would get away with the tints where I live, our cops are complete dicks!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
Blue_dragon_192

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4dr Sedan
As far as under car lighting, go here: http://www.ledunderbody.com

They have a lot of options, plus they are LED's instead of the old Neon....should hold up a lot longer. I have two sets of interior, one in my Yaris Sedan and one in my wife's Scion xB.

Two things.
1) stay away from red or blue, unless you do not turn them on except when you are parked. (emergency vehicles uses these colors).
2) Get any color and wire them in so that they can only be turned on when you are in park or have the e-brake pulled....someone in this forum can give you more info on that.
3) do the interior instead.......

Good luck, and welcome.

Blue
Blue_dragon_192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
#2 is a pretty cool idea blue dragon. and #1 is a pretty smart idea. i've heard of people getting pretty screwed having the red or blue lights on while driving.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Blue_dragon_192

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4dr Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post
#2 is a pretty cool idea blue dragon. and #1 is a pretty smart idea. i've heard of people getting pretty screwed having the red or blue lights on while driving.
You are welcome.
Since I have a few friends that are in the local police dept (their kids are in scouts with my sons), so I ask them what is legal and not.......

Good luck with the mods and keep us posted.
Blue_dragon_192 is offline   Reply With Quote