Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #1
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
2007 Toyota Yaris HB Handbrake

The handbrake on these cars are self adjusting aren't they? We shouldn't have to ever adjust them correct?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD424 View Post
The handbrake on these cars are self adjusting aren't they? We shouldn't have to ever adjust them correct?
Wrong

My dealer adjusts it every service. I can tell when it needs an adjustment and just after one has been done.

Just so you know the tires are not self inflating and the wiper fluid won't replace itself either.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Wrong

My dealer adjusts it every service. I can tell when it needs an adjustment and just after one has been done.

Just so you know the tires are not self inflating and the wiper fluid won't replace itself either.

mine does , or so the wife thinks
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Wrong

Eh are you sure about that? When you back up and use the brakes on almost every car it self adjusts the handbrake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_brake
Old 07-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
^
Yes i'm sure. When I take it in for a service I need to lift the hand brake quite high. After they adjust the hand brake I don't need to lift it as high to get the same pressure.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Phil,

You are correct many are designed this way but in "real world" use seldem work effectively. Better to check them and adjust manually if necessary.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The rear drum brake will self adjust as stated.

However ocassionally the hand brake may (or may not) need adjustment to compensate for cable stretch etc.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
2 10mm open wrenches does the trick. just lift the center console up in the back. i always tighten mine up some so i dont have to pull 3 miles to get the brake to engage. not to mention it makes the random sliding a easier. :)
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
The "problem" with the self adjusting rear drum brake is they only work when you back up and it takes some force to make the adjusters work. If you really think about it, how much do you back up? If you just back up 3 feet and gently touch the brakes it's just not going to work. When my rear drums start making a little squeaking I just make sure that I roll back a little further out of my parking spot and hit the brake sharply a couple of days and it goes away for a while. If that doesn't do it, then I start taking things apart.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
The "problem" with the self adjusting rear drum brake is they only work when you back up and it takes some force to make the adjusters work. If you really think about it, how much do you back up? If you just back up 3 feet and gently touch the brakes it's just not going to work. When my rear drums start making a little squeaking I just make sure that I roll back a little further out of my parking spot and hit the brake sharply a couple of days and it goes away for a while. If that doesn't do it, then I start taking things apart.
This is true that you need to "hit the barake sharply" for the self adjusters to work properly.

I also develped the same habit years ago (with the cars that had rear drums) to ocasionally hit the brake a bit harder when backing up.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote