Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
revnull
Where did my stars go?

Drives: 2008 Liftback S
Red face Remote Start Questions

I have a question about installation of remote start systems. I picked up a Python 1400XPL from eBay. I figured I'd save a few bucks by installing it myself. It turns out to be a bit more complicated than I expected. If anyone can give me a few answers, I can finish things up.

Were can I find the correct wire for the rear defogger?

Here is the description from the install guide:
This wire supplies a 200mA output as soon as the module begins the remote start process. The H3/1 BLUE wire can also be used to activate the defogger trigger (latched/pulsed) 10-seconds after the remote start engages.

Same question for the Dome Light? I've used the pink wire listed in other wiring guides, but it's VERY dim.

Thanks in advance for your help!

revnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I installed remote start in mine. Mine didn't have an output for the dome. Looking at the EWD, in order for you to use the pink, you need to ground the pink wire, not pull it high. You will need to add a relay to invert your dome output.

I would normally add the defroster output, but didn't on my Yaris because the switch latches. On my last two vehicles the defroster was a momentary switch, so I couldn't just leave it on when I exited the car.

On the Yaris, you need to pull the black wire to ground on the connector on the back of the defogger switch.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
revnull
Where did my stars go?

So, for the dome light...

12v+ to 86 (Relay +)
Alarm Wire to 85 (Relay Ground)
Chassis Ground to 87 (Normally Open Pole)
Pink Wire from Fuse Box to 30 (Relay Switch Pole)

Dose that sound right?

Couldn't the same be done for the defogger switch? I can't tell from the manual if the defogger wire is positive or ground.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Check the blue alarm wire with a volt meter - I believe that it is outputting +12VDC.

If so:

Alarm wire to 86
Chassis ground to 85

Chassis Ground to 87 (Normally Open Pole)
Pink Wire from Fuse Box to 30 (Relay Switch Pole)
Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

If the blue wire is actually a negative output (switches to ground, instead of +12V) then the issue is the 200mA switching capability. The courtesy light circuit draws over 1A with the stock incandescent bulbs. In that case, you would wire the relay as you listed it above to let the relay's contacts switch the load.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Desperauto
The Old Man

Drives: 2008 yaris HB black sand pearl
just remember that when they say 200ma., that means you have to use a relay, not enough power for direct feed of item. Be careful you could burnout the transistor inside the unit.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
revnull
Where did my stars go?

I think I got it. I'll need to go pickup a couple of relays in the morning.

One more question for the night. This package came with a relay satellite module that I have yet to install. It looks like the meat of the starter portion of the setup. I just want to verify where these wires go before I start cutting.

PURPLE (+) starter output: After cutting the starter wire connect the PURPLE wire to the end going to the starter motor.
This goes to the harness side of D8/Pin7 (Black)

GREEN starter kill: After cutting the starter wire connect the GREEN wire to the end going to the key side of the ignition.
This goes to the switch side of D8/Pin7 (Black)

RED (2) (+)12V input for relays: These wires are the source of current for all the circuits the relay satellite will energize. They must be connected to a high current source. Since the factory supplies (+) 12V to the key switch that is used to operate the motor, it is recommended that these wires be connected there. NOTE: If the factory supplies two separate (+) 12V feeds to the ignition switch, connect one RED wire of the satellite to each feed at the switch.
These 2 will go to D8/Pin5 (Grey) & D8/Pin4 (Yellow)

ORANGE (+) accessory output: Connect this wire to the accessory wire in the vehicle that powers the climate control system.
This will go to D8/Pin2 (white)

PINK (+) ignition output: Connect this wire to the ignition wire in the vehicle.
This will go to D8/Pin1 (Green)

PINK/WHITE (+) output to second ignition/accessory circuit: Connect this wire to the second ignition or accessory wire in the vehicle (selectable menu feature 2-9).
This will go to D8/Pin6 (Pink)

RED/WHITE 12 V input: If additional current capacity is needed cut this wire, add a fuse adequate for the circuit to be supplied, and connect to an additional 12V source.
Not to sure about this one. Is it even needed?

Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That looks correct for the satellite starter lockout/anti-grind.

The Red/white is not needed, as the Yaris's keyswitch doesn't directly switch the starter - It just switches the coil of a relay.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
revnull
Where did my stars go?

Excellent! Everything is all hooked up. With the relay in place, the dome light works at full power. I still need to hook up the relay for the defogger, but its a step in the right direction. The relay pack is wired as listed above, but the red/white needs to be attached for the starter to work. Thanks for all the help!