Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Ever been frustrated by stupid replies to your ads?

I was today.

I posted a bike for sale and the first 3 responses were either stupid questions that were already in the ad or trade offers for things that nobody wants.

So I posted a spoof ad and have actually been offered an xbox, a compressor, pellet guns, and a boa constrictor.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1416265132

I think I committed every wrong in posting an ad. If I missed anything please let me know, I'll edit it in
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:17 AM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Still available?

(No. I like to advertise things I already sold.)
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:18 AM   #3
NYC-SE

I know you said no trades but how about --insert whatever nonsensical item you can imagine here--
Old 02-20-2019, 01:19 AM   #4
NYC-SE

I'll give you $100 cash (on a $1000 item)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 AM   #5
NYC-SE

I can get it for half your price.

(Really? Then why are you responding to my ad? Go get it!)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:23 AM   #6
NYC-SE

I sell on craigslist, or at least try to. So yes I get plenty of stupid responses.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:01 AM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
I was today.

I posted a bike for sale and the first 3 responses were either stupid questions that were already in the ad or trade offers for things that nobody wants.

So I posted a spoof ad and have actually been offered an xbox, a compressor, pellet guns, and a boa constrictor.

I think I committed every wrong in posting an ad. If I missed anything please let me know, I'll edit it in
How about you post it properly? Why you make a "wanted" ad for something you are selling?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #8
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
I was today.

So why frustrate others with your spoof ad?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I sell on e-bay and craigslist. I often get morons responding to my craigslist ads, and more than 50% of those who schedule to meet, never show up, never cancel... and then dodge all attempts to be contacted. I've never experienced a culture so intent on wasting their time and mine. Nevertheless, I just keep posting well written accurate ads with good photos. In the end, I sell everything I post for a fair price. Don't be a jerk. Be polite, persistent, and take care.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #10
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I sell on e-bay and craigslist. I often get morons responding to my craigslist ads, and more than 50% of those who schedule to meet, never show up, never cancel... and then dodge all attempts to be contacted. I've never experienced a culture so intent on wasting their time and mine. Nevertheless, I just keep posting well written accurate ads with good photos. In the end, I sell everything I post for a fair price. Don't be a jerk. Be polite, persistent, and take care.
Yes! Exactly! Amazingly I just (like an hour ago) sold a pair of speakers on craigslist. I had had them listed for about 6 months. Dozens of idiotic responses, some of which I even responded to because there were questions attached. Some multi day back and forth correspondence, etc. I actually set up meetings with 3 guys who claimed they wanted them and then ... no show, no call, no email. Ghosted. (I understand this is how the younger generations date now too so I guess this is "normal" behavior for them.) Forgetting about myself but why waste your own time like that?

Today guy #4 actually showed up after only 2 emails back and forth. It seems there are still a few sane people out there.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Ah. I actually don't meet people outside anymore. Unless it's very serious. I mostly do it only for buying stuffs.

When I'm selling, I get them to come to my work place during day time or at home after hours. It's part of the deal, I'm selling to the next person if you like it. That's it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2019, 11:29 PM   #12
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
I own a duplex, where I live in one side and rent out the other. I had to deal with an amazing number of stupid replies to my three bedroom/1 bath ad last year.

Such as:

-I do not allow pets and I say so in the ad. I go to the potential applicants' Facebook pages, and they clearly have pets.
-There was a single mom on welfare with six kids from six different fathers. No way she could afford the rent.
-People who want to move in with the promise of paying a security deposit later. What this means is that they have no intention of paying a security deposit.
-One guy didn't want me to run a credit check, and wanted me to hand him the keys so he could move in two days later.
-One person wanted to fill the apartment with five adults who spoke only Spanish and little English. I presume these would be illegal immigrants or possibly drug smugglers. No thanks. I don't need Homeland Security kicking down my doors.
-Another person wanted to move in right away and pay the first month's rent at some undefined time in the future.
-Many, many people who had evictions or were in the process of getting evicted.
-A ton of lookie-loos. Seriously, those were the worst, because they wasted my time for the purpose of their own personal entertainment.

And, of course, all these people knew they would be living next to me (well, apart from the lookie-loos). Seriously, some people have no shame.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:54 AM   #13
NYC-SE

Just had an 8 email back and forth for a $20 item I am selling on Craigslist. First email asked if I would accept PayPal and mail the item to him, even though ad clearly states "cash" and "pickup". I of course told him no, so he comes back and says ok he'll pay cash and could we meet in Long Island. Ad clearly states 3 locations where pickup would be possible and Long Island is nowhere on that list. OK he says we'll meet in NYC. Then several more back and forth to work out a time. Great everything set...oh one more thing..."Could you set up a PayPal account I don't like using cash." Then sends belligerent emails when I stopped responding.

Typical Craigslist time waster.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:49 AM   #14
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Just had an 8 email back and forth for a $20 item I am selling on Craigslist. First email asked if I would accept PayPal and mail the item to him, even though ad clearly states "cash" and "pickup". I of course told him no, so he comes back and says ok he'll pay cash and could we meet in Long Island. Ad clearly states 3 locations where pickup would be possible and Long Island is nowhere on that list. OK he says we'll meet in NYC. Then several more back and forth to work out a time. Great everything set...oh one more thing..."Could you set up a PayPal account I don't like using cash." Then sends belligerent emails when I stopped responding.

Typical Craigslist time waster.
Scammer. Don't waste your time. Pay-delete-what?

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #15
suprf1y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I own a duplex, where I live in one side and rent out the other. I had to deal with an amazing number of stupid replies to my three bedroom/1 bath ad last year.
I had rental properties for 10 years. I'll never do that again.

Fortunately the bike sold in 4 days
Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #16
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
suprf1y - I bought this property in 2014, thinking it would be the first of many rental properties I would eventually own. I will never, ever again buy another rental property. It's not profitable, and it's not worth the hassle for the little itty bitty profit that I'm able to eek out sometimes. As an owner-occupant, the tax deductions are nice, though, like depreciation and being able to deduct half of my home insurance. But even when you live on the property, tenants do stuff that will drive you nuts. Like, my current tenant was leaving the garage open when she left for work, leaving my expensive EGO electric lawn mower fully exposed all day for anyone to steal (I got lucky and nobody stole it). She told me that "she forgot," and said that I shouldn't be mad because she has a "chill personality." Huh? Somehow her memory improved when I said I would ban her from parking in the garage if she ever left the door open again. And the most recent thing is that she had been going over the side of the driveway, tearing up the grass with her Ford Edge. She clearly can't handle a large vehicle. I told her to stop it, and she said that she doesn't want to drive a small car like me, and that she has a chill personality. Again, huh? Yep, no more rental property for me!
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #17
suprf1y

I made really good money doing it but it was a constant battle.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #18
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I rent and I can't handle the other tenants. The garbage everywhere, the noise, laundry in the machines, the general disregard for the fact other people live in the house. The vast majority of tennants (that ive seen) are just shitty people.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote