Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
DaveG

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Boring Tires Recommendation

Hi,
I'm looking into replacing the tires on my '10 liftback. I really like the stock tires, but they're expensive according to tirerack.com, and their warranty is only to 40,000mi, which suggests that they don't last as long as other tires. Now, I'm not against spending money for tires, but if I'm going to buy expensive tires, I want them to last a long while.
So, I was wondering what your recommendations would be. My priorities are winter traction (live in PA), without giving up ride quality and fuel economy. Something like an all-season tire. I'm looking to replace with the stock 185/60-15 size.
I've noticed Yokohama TRZ and Pirelli P4 are rated highly on tirerack, and a local garage will give me a real good deal on either of the General altimax tires. What else is out there that I should be considering?
Thanks in advance for the help.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Look at the UTQG wear ratings. The stock Goodyears are rated at 360. (That's a percentage of the wear life of some crummy reference tire set at 100.) There are quite a few inexpensive all-season tires rated in the 700 range now. Check the user reports on http://tirerack.com/ for a much broader cross section of experience than you'll find on this board. But I sure wouldn't replace the original tires before they wear out!!!!
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
DaveG

OEM's are certainly not going to come off the car until they're dead, but I'm trying to prepare for that day, as they are showing some wear.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
Michelin Harmony.

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

You're hard on tires. I've got 12000 miles on my original Eagle LS and can't see any wear at all. (Haven't been measuring groove depth.)
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
So, I was wondering what your recommendations would be. My priorities are winter traction (live in PA), without giving up ride quality and fuel economy. Something like an all-season tire. I'm looking to replace with the stock 185/60-15 size. Thanks in advance for the help.
Hey, I live in PA. What are your OEM tires? Bridgestone or Goodyear?

Mine are Bridgestone Potenza's. I'm looking at replacing my tires at around 36,000 - 45,000. The Kumho Solus KR21 or the Yokohama AVID TRZ are what I will replace them with. Both have excellent tread wear... 680 and 700 respectively!

Good traction for PA weather, but I hear you will have slightly more rolling resistance with these tires than your OEM's. Not much more! What do you want to sacrifice? MPG or traction? Too bad we live in PA...

In the Winter season you could run a good 'Winter tire' and in the Summer the Kumho eco Solus HM KR22 Low Rolling Resistant (LRR) tires? Just a thought...

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
try craiglist some people have tires stock tires that never been used

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
custodian

Drives: Chevrolet Colorado
I will assume PA winters are snowy? Check out Tirerack for a summer tire with good treadwear ratings & then an inexpensive winter tire to grab the snow.

On one of our 2wd vehicles we went with Kuhmos in the summer & Firestone Winterforce in the snow. Both sets went for just over $200 each from Tirerack.

How does this combo look... the Kuhmos are rated at 800 treadwear & the Winterforce are great in the snow...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModel=Yaris Liftback&autoModClar=3-Door

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModel=Yaris Liftback&autoModClar=3-Door
custodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
DaveG

could somebody explain the UTQG system to me a little better than they do on tirerack? at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48 they make it sound like the treadwear number is something you can't really go by.

p.s. Stock tires are Bridgestone Potenza's.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
there's way more involved than a number. camber, caster, toe adjustments, driving habits, type of vehicle tires are on, how car's driven and all has to do with the number. alignment is key to getting most mileage out of tires, that and rotating.

a few hints and i'm sure you've heard it before and just ignored...rotate, balance, alignment. they're offered as extras with every oil change you've had you just ignored them cuz you want the oil changed and only expected to pay 20 bux.

take care of them, drive on them easy (no donuts or spinning wheels...that heats up tires and changes the tread composition making them harder, making them spin more making them harder....bla bla bla...) and rotate your tires every oil change. you'll get 50k plus on the stockers...

usually the higher the number the longer it lasts...but also the less performance you get out of it (generally...)
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
a few hints and i'm sure you've heard it before and just ignored...rotate, balance, alignment. they're offered as extras with every oil change you've had you just ignored them cuz you want the oil changed and only expected to pay 20 bux.
I really have no clue why you feel the need to assume a bunch and make yourself look like an ass. The OP is just asking for tire advice.

Quote:
take care of them, drive on them easy (no donuts or spinning wheels...that heats up tires and changes the tread composition making them harder, making them spin more making them harder....bla bla bla...) and rotate your tires every oil change. you'll get 50k plus on the stockers...
tires get soft when they get hot.

I wouldn't trust craigslist tires. They could have been sitting in the sun for a year without showing much wear.

Buy from discount/america's tire. Free rotation, balancing, road hazard, and prorating on treadlife warranty. I burned through 60k tires in 27k, and got something like 250 bucks off my next set of tires, which happened to be pirelli p5's - I really like the tires. I'm about 15k in to them and they look brand new. My stock tires looked like crap after 10k.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I have the "Yokamama Avid TRZ" on my '09 HB and so far, I really like them.
I originally had the "Goodyear Eagel LS" which were garbage IMO so, most tires would be an improvement more or less.

Having said that, the TRZ does offer very good dry traction and cornering stability.
It also has good wet traction with resistance to hydroplaning.
I haven't driven them in snow yet but, suspect they will be very good.
I have absolutly no regrets so far.
Coupled with my rear sway bar, the TRZs make traveling on twisty mountain roads much more enjoyable.

Keep in mind that the TRZ does have to be broken in (like most tires) and unltil you do they tend to ride rather harsh
However, after a couple hundred miles or so, they are very smooth riding.
In any event, Yokahama gives you a thirty days trial to return them in case you don't like them.

BTW, I think the 80,000 mile warenty for the TRZ is really unrealistic and don't expect that kind of wear but, I always replace a tire after 3-4 years anyway.
I will be happy if I get 40-50k miles considering the relatively low price of the TRZ.

Last edited by RedRide; 07-10-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i have the trz's also and am very happy with them! consumer reports recently did a test on all the popular all-season tires out there and they were one of the best in wet traction, but not that high in snow. i've heard from other sources that yokohama's aren't known for their snow traction, but that's a pretty vague statement and i had them on last winter and they did fine for me(they were practically brand-new, however). they also make an touring-s model that is similar, but if i remember correctly it didn't do as well in the wet tests, but better in other areas.

Last edited by toad; 07-10-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
DaveG

Quote:
there's way more involved than a number. camber, caster, toe adjustments, driving habits, type of vehicle tires are on, how car's driven and all has to do with the number. alignment is key to getting most mileage out of tires, that and rotating.

usually the higher the number the longer it lasts...but also the less performance you get out of it (generally...)
You know, I really take offense at this. I am a very careful, gentle, gas-mileage conscious driver, and I am not hard on my car. I would never spin my tires or do donuts, and I take meticulous care of my car. My tires are balanced, and the car is aligned (only 7k miles, too). I change my own oil, and spare no expense, or time. The tires have been rotated 100% as they should have been, and to be honest they probably don't need to be replaced for a while. I'm just being prepared and doing my research early. Honestly, come on. Where did you get the idea that I was a hot-rodder?

Anyway, one other thing I've been thinking is the separate winter(snow) and summer tires thing. It just seems like maybe I'm trying to make too many compromises here trying to find a do-all tire. Plus, with two sets, I would think they'd last forever. What would I be looking at price-wise for that? I have steel rims...maybe I could get a set of aluminums for the summer tires, and use the steels for snow tires? @custodian, you recommended this. What sort of price would I be looking at? Are those summer tires that you linked me to more like what I'm looking for, minus the snow traction? Seems like a nice solution, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad
consumer reports recently did a test on all the popular all-season tires out there and they were one of the best in wet traction, but not that high in snow.
Do you have a link to this? I'd love to read it. The TRZ's were one of the tires that I noticed, and I'm definitely considering them, so thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr
I wouldn't trust craigslist tires. They could have been sitting in the sun for a year without showing much wear.

Buy from discount/america's tire. Free rotation, balancing, road hazard, and prorating on treadlife warranty. I burned through 60k tires in 27k, and got something like 250 bucks off my next set of tires, which happened to be pirelli p5's - I really like the tires. I'm about 15k in to them and they look brand new. My stock tires looked like crap after 10k.
I was thinking the same thing about craigslist tires. I'm going to do this right, and that means brand new tires. Is America's tire a website, or a place? I don't think I've seen any near where I live.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 02:30 AM   #15
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
For a year-round tire where you'll have to deal with snow and ice, Goodyear TripleTreds fit on non-lowered Yarii without rubbing in 195/60-15 if you don't mind paying a bit for the tires.

Otherwise, I've switched from that to dedicated three-season and seperate winter tires. My winters are the V-tread-pattern Blizzak's, 175/65-15's, and I'm for the other three seasons I'm running Michelin Primacy MXV4's in the same size as my TripleTreds have been, 195/60-15; bit spendy, but the ride is a dream and super quiet.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #16
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I found that buying tires from Jack Williams Tire in PA was cheaper than buying tires from tirerack and pay someone to install it.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
i just got my falken 912's for a non winter tire and they are doing wonderful. wet traction is amazing.
06 Vette, 08 Cobalt SS, ?? Civic Del Sol, 10 Audi TT
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
DaveG

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
I found that buying tires from Jack Williams Tire in PA was cheaper than buying tires from tirerack and pay someone to install it.
You're right. My dad gets tires from Jack Williams, and got a real sweet deal. I think I'll check that out, no matter what I do.

Tags
tires