Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Another ABS Thread...Help Diagnose Please.

I have read most of the threads here as my '08 is now suffering from ABS malfunction. I did the jumper from pin 4 to 13 and am getting this pattern of ABS blinking: 3 - 4, then 3 - 9. Then, the pattern appears to repeat in a loop. I could not find anything that alluded to this particular blinking pattern. I did removed both rear speed sensor connectors, cleaned them thoroughly and reconnected. Back when I installed the 10 mm hub spacers, I had to beat the old studs out, so hoping I didn't damage the sensor. The issue started not long after the spacer install, but went away for a while, then returned. Also, when it's wet out, the issue seems to sometimes go away, which would suggest to me a possible connection that's restored intermittently with moisture present.

Here is a link to a youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1tNLzKA9ks

Thanks very much in advance.

Finally, I have never particularly liked ABS, so I would remove the fuse if there are no harmful side effects to the car and the ABS light stays off. Of course I'd rather fix the issue but if I can't right away, I'd temporarily disable the system if it's okay to do so.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-29-2018 at 10:28 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:01 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
You can simply pull the fuse but obviously the lights will stay on. Pull the connector, clean the contacts and then throw in some dielectric grease. If the problem come back than you'll need a new hub for the sensor and/or wire
Old 07-29-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
You can simply pull the fuse but obviously the lights will stay on. Pull the connector, clean the contacts and then throw in some dielectric grease. If the problem come back than you'll need a new hub for the sensor and/or wire
Thanks! I tried resetting the DTC with the jumper in, turning the ignition on and pressing the brake pedal 8 times within 5 seconds as per service manual directions. Didn't work. I'll remove the connectors again and add some dielectric grease. I'd still like to know what the blinking sequence means though.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 07-29-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
06YarisRS

I found some additional info that might help. I'll be digging my multimeter out tomorrow. I may be wrong but I will assume that the 3-4 and 3-9 blinking sequence refers to DTC C0215/34 and C1239/39 (left rear speed sensor). Anyone please correct me if my logic is flawed. Either way, I'll check the resistance and the two plug ends as well as a continuity test on the wire.

http://www.testroete.com/car/Toyota/...Inspection.pdf

and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDdC7uN0EA4

Old 07-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Temporary Fix..

One of the pins on the wheel bearing speed sensor was corroded and broken off. So, I will order one and replace that soon. We have a press in the school shop and I'm sure the bearing is still good so no need to replace the whole thing. I inserted a pin into the connector that corresponded to the broken pin on the speed sensor and snipped it off. I plugged the connector back in, went for a drive and no longer have the MILs.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
zrwon

Drives: 07 5 door hatchback
I had the same problem with my right rear sensor where the pin was broken inside the connector and the connector was broken on the side that the pin is in.

After replacing the sensor and wire, I cleared the code and I now have 34, so I removed the connector and it looks fine, I reconnected it to test the sensor from inside the car and nothing, I pushed the wire out and went under the car to test the wiring and the brown wire is okay but the white one has no continuity no matter how much I try.
I put a pin in the wire where it enters the connector and it is fine but inside the connector I got nothing, same procedure for the brown wire and it is fine, something is definitely not making contact inside the connector but I don’t know what or why because the wire is fine where it goes in but not in the connector.
At this point I removed the wiring harness and ordered a new one but I’m still puzzled as to what could be wrong.
I’m going to take a very good look at the pin in the sensor to make sure the connector inner part is not seized on the pin because I don’t want to replace the sensor if I don’t have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zrwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
zrwon

Drives: 07 5 door hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrwon View Post
I had the same problem with my right rear sensor where the pin was broken inside the connector and the connector was broken on the side that the pin is in.

After replacing the sensor and wire, I cleared the code and I now have 34, so I removed the connector and it looks fine, I reconnected it to test the sensor from inside the car and nothing, I pushed the wire out and went under the car to test the wiring and the brown wire is okay but the white one has no continuity no matter how much I try.
I put a pin in the wire where it enters the connector and it is fine but inside the connector I got nothing, same procedure for the brown wire and it is fine, something is definitely not making contact inside the connector but I don’t know what or why because the wire is fine where it goes in but not in the connector.
At this point I removed the wiring harness and ordered a new one but I’m still puzzled as to what could be wrong.
I’m going to take a very good look at the pin in the sensor to make sure the connector inner part is not seized on the pin because I don’t want to replace the sensor if I don’t have to.

zrwon is offline   Reply With Quote