Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2019, 04:45 AM   #1
rayfloyd170

Drives: Yaris 2016 1.3 Manual
Just a question with OBD2

i recently purchased this OBD2 code reader/scanner ELM327 bluetooth 4.0 - VGATE iCarPro from Ali Express

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vgat...3d964c4dm3Zb46

Since my Yaris is the base sedan model and lacks the engine temp gauges and fuel consumption/distance displays I want to know if it is safe to use this device while driving and plugged in all the time in the OBD port?

It says it has auto power off function and consume less than 3mA.
on top of that i also need to know the engine performance hence i need this plugged in while driving let say for a day or two..

I need your feedback please.. Thanks
rayfloyd170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
It won't hurt the Yaris use it while you are driving.

How safe it is depends on where you mount the display, and how distracting it is to look at all the information....
Old 04-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
rayfloyd170

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
It won't hurt the Yaris use it while you are driving.

How safe it is depends on where you mount the display, and how distracting it is to look at all the information....

Thanks man for the prompt reply, just as i was expecting there should be no problem at all...

However some people in AMazon commented that i should not plug this at all time, i dont know what are they afraid of?

That is the reason why i came to pop this question here for more clarity of the answer but glad you answered me immediately...
Old 04-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I use an ultra gauge that I leave plugged into the obd II port all the time. As long as it is functioning properly it won't pull any amps with the ignition off.

If something goes wrong with it there is potential for it to draw amperage and drain your battery when the car is off. This is not likely as I believe the obd II port has no power unless the ignition is on.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 AM   #5
kevinj93

The OBD2 port is continuously powered. It isn't ignition switched. Depending on the device's power drain, and how long you leave it plugged in, you could flatten the car battery.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:32 AM   #6
rayfloyd170

Quote:
The OBD2 port is continuously powered. It isn't ignition switched. Depending on the device's power drain, and how long you leave it plugged in, you could flatten the car battery.
thanks for your opinion...

it says <3mA when not in use... i guess this is very minimal but anyway
I am not concerned of the power drain.. the issue i am concerned about is Safety- to the point that it affects the whole car while i am driving at high speed...

some people say "it might" interfere with the ECU while i am driving or i dont know if thats possible??? scary things in my mind...

but if anybody can tell me that it wont affect whatsoever then i would put it plug all the time...
Old 04-10-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
kevinj93

The ELM can reset some ECM error codes to turn off the Check Engine Light. It can read many different values such as engine temperatures, RPM, speed, fuel/air ratio, timing advance and so on. It cannot override the factory programming of the ECM. You can see many parameters of what the engine is doing, but can't use the ELM327 to modify thse values. It will not affect the performance in any way. Software such a Torque will basically allow you to have extra virtual engine instruments, and read diagnostic codes if there is a problem.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #8
rayfloyd170

Quote:
The ELM can reset some ECM error codes to turn off the Check Engine Light. It can read many different values such as engine temperatures, RPM, speed, fuel/air ratio, timing advance and so on. It cannot override the factory programming of the ECM. You can see many parameters of what the engine is doing, but can't use the ELM327 to modify thse values. It will not affect the performance in any way. Software such a Torque will basically allow you to have extra virtual engine instruments, and read diagnostic codes if there is a problem.
Exactly what i was wanting to hear... Thank you for the clear and direct to the point answers. So i guess i'll have to leave it plug in. :)
Old 04-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Got any reference to your statement? Because it will not power ODB powered readers if ignition is not on.. thus, I'd say it isn't continuous.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I have one of these bluetooth readers in my car. I leave town for work 5 days at a time. My battery has never died. However the little red light on the reader will still blink if the car is off. Does it draw power with the car off? Well, the light blinks. Is the obd port powered when the car is off? Well, the light blinks.

I have never unplugged it. I have never experienced anything that would indicate it's messing with my ecu.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I have one of these bluetooth readers in my car. I leave town for work 5 days at a time. My battery has never died. However the little red light on the reader will still blink if the car is off. Does it draw power with the car off? Well, the light blinks. Is the obd port powered when the car is off? Well, the light blinks.

I have never unplugged it. I have never experienced anything that would indicate it's messing with my ecu.
That's interesting. Mine goes completely off.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
OBDII bluetooth display

w/ a Bluetooth OBDII reader, what is doing the display?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I haven't tested every pin of the obd plug but my gauge has no power with ignition off
Old 04-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
w/ a Bluetooth OBDII reader, what is doing the display?
Most people use their smartphone, but id imagine anything you can load an app on, that has a screen and Bluetooth

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #15
kevinj93

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Got any reference to your statement? Because it will not power ODB powered readers if ignition is not on.. thus, I'd say it isn't continuous.

Here is a picture of the OBD2 pinout. Note that +12 volts is "Always on".
Attached Images
File Type: png OBD2-Connector-Pinout.png (26.4 KB, 121 views)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:55 AM   #16
rayfloyd170

I successfully used my OBD2 and i just plug it up without removing it, doesnt drain my battery that much (<2.7mA) as per the manual. It totally shuts off (red LED off) about 30minutes when not in use...

I used Torque and sometimes Dash Drive Smart App... I find Torque very good since i can customize the display/ parameters that i need to monitor...Dash Drive Smart is also an excellent tool that gives you the driving score at the end of each trip..

However i find that my Yaris doesnt have the data for OIL Temp.. It only has the Coolant Temp? Am i missing something or this is just the case with our Yaris, maybe cost saving????

Thanks
Old 04-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #17
kevinj93

The manufacturers decide what sensors they want to fit to a vehicle. This would usually be a set that allows the ECU to function properly. AFAIK the Yaris only has a switch type oil pressure sensor to control the warning light on the dashboard.

I doubt there would be a vehicle available tbat has every possible sensor available. All you can do is chose from what is available to display.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #18
pribek

Drives: Yaris Hybrid 2016
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-V1-5...72.m2749.l2649

Manufacturer Specifications:
NX101 Pro OBD2 ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Car Adaptor Auto Diagnostic Scanner ELM327 is built with auto-sleep mode, after 30 min without communication, it will go in sleep mode. The sleep mode of our scanner is only 10mA, so there is no need to worry about leaving it in the car over night with plugging in.
pribek is offline   Reply With Quote