Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2019, 04:40 AM   #1
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
End of the road for Yaris Liftback Sales Reporting

I was looking over Toyota’s US Monthly Sales reports and thought you would like a final summary for our beloved Yaris Liftback:

For calendar year 2018, Toyota sold 1,940 Yaris liftbacks (out of 2,426,672 in total sales)
From Jan-April 2019, Toyota sold 68 Yaris liftbacks.

Starting in the May 2019 report, Toyota no longer separates the liftback sales, and now has a combined Yaris number. This is probably due to the upcoming Fall release of the new “Yaris” hatchback.

Your homework (I'm a teacher, how could you tell?) is to go hunt down this rare gem of a car and get it in your garage. Just don't let them talk you into a Corolla, they've sold 124,000 of them this year. ;)
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
I was looking over Toyota’s US Monthly Sales reports and thought you would like a final summary for our beloved Yaris Liftback:

For calendar year 2018, Toyota sold 1,940 Yaris liftbacks (out of 2,426,672 in total sales)
From Jan-April 2019, Toyota sold 68 Yaris liftbacks.

Starting in the May 2019 report, Toyota no longer separates the liftback sales, and now has a combined Yaris number. This is probably due to the upcoming Fall release of the new “Yaris” hatchback.

Your homework (I'm a teacher, how could you tell?) is to go hunt down this rare gem of a car and get it in your garage. Just don't let them talk you into a Corolla, they've sold 124,000 of them this year. ;)
Thanks for sharing. I don't know much about the auto industry, but it blows me away that the Yaris Liftback lasted as long as it did, considering how shitty sales have been for years.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:45 AM   #3
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Thanks for sharing. I don't know much about the auto industry, but it blows me away that the Yaris Liftback lasted as long as it did, considering how shitty sales have been for years.
Yeah, for every 1 Yaris, they sold 100 Corolla's. I almost think they kept it around as a bait and switch by advertising a cheap price and then upselling folks to the Corolla.

Seeing the 2018 redesign Yaris around town is going to be very rare indeed.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
I almost think they kept it (Yaris) around as a bait and switch by advertising a cheap price and then upselling folks to the Corolla.
With huge factory incentives and dealer discounts, the Corolla wasn't much of an "upsell" since it often sells for less than a Yaris.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Larger cars getting better gas mileage, not really surprised that sales are declining.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
With huge factory incentives and dealer discounts, the Corolla wasn't much of an "upsell" since it often sells for less than a Yaris.
Very true for the base model Corollas especially. The XSE trims of the Corolla are pricier but then again, I’ve never tried to see how much the dealership would come down. It will be interesting to see how the new Yaris hatch does.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Larger cars getting better gas mileage, not really surprised that sales are declining.
Pretty much the same story for the Prius C, the regular Prius is larger, more modern, and gets better mileage. Now the Prius C is dead.