Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
"Drive By Wire"... ECM Program for better MPG?

Has anyone heard of or done any research on this.

I would love to see a dashboard switch for "ultimate economy mode or UEM", and "performance mode". How cool would that be?...

Since it is drive by wire the ECM could be programmed so that in UEM it would translate "mashing the pedal on takeoff" to a gentle pedal push for smooth efficient accelleration. Performance mode would be just that, a program for max performance...

Anyone else think this is an interesting thought??
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
dbaxter
Evil Kitty

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback A4 AB/Red
it would all depend on if the yaris pcm has this ability or not.

Sorry but i have to refere to GM models since i tune them and cars like the Z06 and CTS-V have this ability but like my SS and GTO which use the same PCM do not.
www.purplegto.com
01 Camaro SS Convertible SLP#1331
http://www.2001CamaroSS.com
dbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
I was thinking of something like this. You could run a push button switch to the wires leading to the pedal and w/ the right resistor you could have it say do only 20% throttle when you hit it.

I'm just scared somethings gonna fuck up and a wire will cross and i'll go wide open throttle into somebodys house, lol.
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
Exclamation HELP!

Yeah guys I REALLY need this b/c there is a 100mph limit on my ECM, and I need a way around it. I am about to put a turbo on it, and that will stop me.....anyone help plz... even if I can buy an ecm from another country w/o speed limit in it....just need some help.
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Lots of cars have had switches for "performance" or "economy." The 1995 Mercury Villager and Volvo 850 Turbo I owned both had that. Mostly they controlled the transmission shift programs.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongopants View Post
Yeah guys I REALLY need this b/c there is a 100mph limit on my ECM, and I need a way around it. I am about to put a turbo on it, and that will stop me.....anyone help plz... even if I can buy an ecm from another country w/o speed limit in it....just need some help.
Having driven a new stock Horizon at 80 mph on US highway roads in WV the tire grab on the road was very limited. US DOT testing has proven at 55 mph all four tires are off the road more often than all 4 tires are on the road. You must have a death wish to want to drive over a 100 mph on US public highways. The speed limiter and gearing on street legal US cars should slanted toward fuel economy with a max speed 80 mph.

I think that all states should have tough inspection standards that check for illegal unsafe mods. There should be random road checks for cars as well as for 18 wheelers.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
chongopants
Banned

Thumbs down 100 mph Limit

Well I respectfully disagree. I come from the old school ways of thinking. And if you are too stupid too hold the long rectangular pedal too long you get what comes out. Secondly, its not your or the governments right to tell me what I can do with MY property... and no I dont drive it over 100mph on the highways. I am going to enter in some road races with this vehicle eventually. After some major modification. Its light and nimble with suspension upgrades. So next time you lecture someone keep in mind your in America, and in I am in Texas which gives us even more rights than most states...

So when you are done hating america we can talk... But you ma'am are still welcome to come to my Yaris meetup...

Have a good one
Chongopants.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Has anyone heard of or done any research on this.

I would love to see a dashboard switch for "ultimate economy mode or UEM", and "performance mode". How cool would that be?...

Since it is drive by wire the ECM could be programmed so that in UEM it would translate "mashing the pedal on takeoff" to a gentle pedal push for smooth efficient accelleration. Performance mode would be just that, a program for max performance...

Anyone else think this is an interesting thought??
It would be neat... many sportbikes and high performance cars already have this feature...
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
chongopants
Banned

I would love that personally...
Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
there's a couple of devices like this, by pivot and blitz. Though they are most often used to increase throttle response, they also have an "eco" mode which does the opposite

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
chongopants
Banned

Wow really, I thought blitz might have something. Can you link them? or do you know what they are called?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbetty View Post
Having driven a new stock Horizon at 80 mph on US highway roads in WV the tire grab on the road was very limited. US DOT testing has proven at 55 mph all four tires are off the road more often than all 4 tires are on the road. You must have a death wish to want to drive over a 100 mph on US public highways. The speed limiter and gearing on street legal US cars should slanted toward fuel economy with a max speed 80 mph.

I think that all states should have tough inspection standards that check for illegal unsafe mods. There should be random road checks for cars as well as for 18 wheelers.

110% total disagreement here. There are already too many regulations and limits. Of course, I'm the person that's bummed that the speedo on one of my bikes doesn't indicate >189mph.

I think your Horizon example would fit into the exception category rather than the rule. I rather like exceptions though, just maybe not this one.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Wow really, I thought blitz might have something. Can you link them? or do you know what they are called?
Here's a DIY on Blitz's one:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17596

and Pivot's page for their device:

http://pivotjp.com/product/frame-thf_c-e.html

If I am not mistaken, Blitz offers seven modes (3 economical, one normal, 3 sporty) while the Pivot one has 3 (echo, normal, sport), so you should be able to fine-tune the effect better with the Blitz one

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
chongopants
Banned

Awesome man, GJ on the post. I will definitely get one if I can get them to ship to the US, no US distro for the pivot one... But if anyone gets one let me know what they think... is it worth the cash?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Awesome man, GJ on the post. I will definitely get one if I can get them to ship to the US, no US distro for the pivot one... But if anyone gets one let me know what they think... is it worth the cash?

Of course not... you could just moderate your driving style for free and take a performance driving school to learn how to drive faster when you want to.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #16
chongopants
Banned

Well I am not going to go into it to deeply, but I am hosting a get together in Houston, Tx and everyone is welcome that can make it. Its under the SW section... All are welcome...we need to yaris it up.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
chongopants
Banned

even you eti....

khorb koon
Old 09-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbetty View Post
US DOT testing has proven at 55 mph all four tires are off the road more often than all 4 tires are on the road.
If that's even true, you need to give the vehicle and road tested, as it can not possibly be the same for every road or car. I think you'll find a saleen S7 keeps its wheels on the ground just fine at any speed ;)

Going 50 in an excursion is more dangerous than doing 90 in a lamborghini(or a well prepped yaris)
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote