Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #55
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i spent $16.00 cnd and it seems like im gettng 8 squares on them..not bad at all.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #56
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I changed mine at 10,000 miles and it seemed real dirty.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #57
RomGrr

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
yeah.... who cares.... humans can't tell the difference... i've got one year of experience with this type of DIY filter.

Also... this would ONLY be a problem if you drive around with your air on MAX all the time and still felt you needed a stronger fan in your car.

All who drive around town with the fan on max all the time please raise your hand.

thought so.
:::raises hand:::

We've had 105-110 heat index here the past few weeks. If the car had a moonroof I'd probably attempt to ring a home window unit up to it

I'm a little confused...this filters the air being sucked into the air conditioner, or the air being blown into the cabin? And how would changing the A/C settings affect this (i.e. setting to recirculating)? The filter seems vital to a long lasting and efficient A/C system. How can this not be included with the car?
RomGrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #58
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I had mine out for a while (made new ones), and had a musty smell when using the AC. Now that I have a new filter in, the smell is gone.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #59
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
the filter is post-ac, it only filters the air coming out of the blower of the ac unit. as such, the unit's operation is unaffected by leaving it out, it just means that whatever allergens/dust your external ac air intake suck in will end up in some amount inside your cabin. with the filter in place, the dust that makes it to your cabin is greatly reduced, and with an allergen rated filter you can cut down on pollen and the like. helps allergies while driving.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #60
LilBlue

Drives: 08 2dr
Hey, found this site today. It's amazing what all you guys do - providing so much information. I was looking for a new cabin filter at a local parts store, couldn't find the part number in the book. A quick goog brought me here, and after just a few minutes I had discovered that the cheap skates never even put one in from the get go, made 4 filters myself, installed one, and took most of the dash trim out just to look around with a flashlight and see what I could see.

Awesome.

Oh, and I only got 4 filters 'cuz my house A/C filters are 20x20 so that's what I happened to have laying around. Could -almost- get 6 out of it, but so what. I get the nice allergen filters in bulk so the final cost for 4 was under $1 each anyway.

Again, awesome. Thank you so much for this.

One tip that might help somebody else - the 3/4" thick house A/C filter can be squished down if you have extra like I did. As long as you cut your duct tape to the right length and hold the pleats when you are "assembling", then you'll get more surface area in there and you still end up with the target size. As far as getting it into the fan box, it's not a perfect fit and I expect some air will find it's way around. Maybe a high-performance version of this idea would be to make a nice well-fitting/sealing "tray" that replaceable filters could be shoved in there with. For now I am quite happy with my cut up filter and tape. It is vastly better than _nothing_...
LilBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #61
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Hi LilBlue,

Welcome to YarisWorld. I'm glad you found this DIY useful, and there are lots more here to keep you entertained for days on end.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:36 AM   #62
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJohnson View Post
the filter is post-ac, it only filters the air coming out of the blower of the ac unit. as such, the unit's operation is unaffected by leaving it out, it just means that whatever allergens/dust your external ac air intake suck in will end up in some amount inside your cabin. with the filter in place, the dust that makes it to your cabin is greatly reduced, and with an allergen rated filter you can cut down on pollen and the like. helps allergies while driving.
Actually the filter is between the air inlet and the blower. The air comes in, goes through the filter, through the blower fan, and then through the rest of the AC and finally the vents.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #63
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
that is not accurate. The air is blowing upward from the blower, into the filter, and out the vents. I promise. I tested. Open your filter housing and turn on your AC. a quick hand over the blower motor while running (CAREFUL!) will confirm that the air hits the filter after the blower, and mere visual inspection will easily show the path of the air once it passes the filter.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #64
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJohnson View Post
that is not accurate. The air is blowing upward from the blower, into the filter, and out the vents. I promise. I tested. Open your filter housing and turn on your AC. a quick hand over the blower motor while running (CAREFUL!) will confirm that the air hits the filter after the blower, and mere visual inspection will easily show the path of the air once it passes the filter.
I tried that the very first time and I also thought the air was blowing up. But after looking at all of the parts a little closer, it actually blows the other way.

You might want to check that again. Look under the dash while turning the knobs that selects re-circulate or fresh air. You will notice that this will move the plastic door that is right above the filter. When the door moves to the back, it closes off the outside air inlet and opens the re-circulate inlet. When the door moves to the front, this closes off the re-circulate inlet and opens up the fresh air inlet. If air was blowing up into the filter, the air would always blow into the car from underneath the dash or would blow cold air outside the car, and would never go out the 4 vents on top. You will notice that the vents are not connected to the system here. They are connected on the bottom side of the blower, not the top.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #65
RomGrr

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
I tried that the very first time and I also thought the air was blowing up. But after looking at all of the parts a little closer, it actually blows the other way.

You might want to check that again. Look under the dash while turning the knobs that selects re-circulate or fresh air. You will notice that this will move the plastic door that is right above the filter. When the door moves to the back, it closes off the outside air inlet and opens the re-circulate inlet. When the door moves to the front, this closes off the re-circulate inlet and opens up the fresh air inlet. If air was blowing up into the filter, the air would always blow into the car from underneath the dash or would blow cold air outside the car, and would never go out the 4 vents on top. You will notice that the vents are not connected to the system here. They are connected on the bottom side of the blower, not the top.
You are correct. I finally had a chance to try this today. Yanked off the glove box and tested things. Turn the car on and go sit in the passenger seat with the A/C blowing full blast on recirculating (so you have access). Go get a tissue or toilet paper. Hold it close and see which way it wants to go. It's definitely sucking, which I'm guessing means the car is sucking unfiltered air into the compressor. Regardless, the A/C unit has to be filtered somehow. Show me in the factory manual where this filter is, otherwise it has to be this cabin filter. Take the filters off your home air conditioner unit and see how long it lasts. I'll definitely be adding a filter from now on. I'm pretty damn pissed that the car shipped without one. For such a cheap price, this little paper filter could easily add years to the life of the compressor.
RomGrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #66
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The compressor doesn't compress air. It compresses refrigerant. That air only goes through the fan, AC evaporator and/or heater core.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #67
yarisBMD

Drives: 3dr hatchback
Thanks, this is great! I just picked up my new 3dr 09 LB and checked at the dealer before I left the lot. They claimed they don't have any on hand (?) but that they would be in contact. I'm making my own as we, uh, text! Thanks!
yarisBMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #68
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
All you have to do is look at the fan blades and note the direction of rotation. I'll be making some filters when I get off work. Yum!
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #69
Boost Addicted

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5spd, 2005 GLI 1.8T
Interesting... I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but the directions for this are actually in the Yaris manual.

However, they call it an A/C filter? Which is why I was stumped and just didn't put anything in there.

No auto place sells these filters? You have to buy one from a hardware store?
Boost Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #70
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
Yes. It is actually a home furnace/central air filter.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #71
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

From post #69 in the "cabin filter missing" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08YarisAZ View Post
If you need to replace the cabin filter, there is a good thread about making your own, or you can go to a parts store - I used Advance Auto Parts, and picked up the Purolator C35667. It costs around $15. You can also get them at Pepboys and sometimes Checker. I have also used the Wix version, but it wasn't as good.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #72
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
Interesting... I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but the directions for this are actually in the Yaris manual.

However, they call it an A/C filter? Which is why I was stumped and just didn't put anything in there.

Depends on what you're wanting. DYI, or install one already made by Bosch, WIX, Fram, Beck/Arnley, etc...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote