Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
thermostat replacement

Not sure where it is. Experience tells me where top radiator hose goes.
I am at 104,000 miles and since no temp guage wont have any warning.
I am looking at a Duralast Fail safe thermostat to replace OEM part.
Any tips on changing it?

Last edited by bankrobber; 01-09-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: moron
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Follow bottom radiator hose to block. It attaches to a plastic fixture behind which is the thermostat. You don't have to remove any hoses, just unbolt the fixture with hose attached and pull off, thermostat rests in the opening. Carefully remove to save the o-ring. I went with OEM replacement. You will have to drain radiator. Make sure you put the new one in the same way as the jiggle valve has to be in the 12 o-clock position.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
New O ring comes in the box if you go OEM.
I did this job, it was easy. Just don't tighten too much or you can crack the plastic cover. Use a torque wrench...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
Follow bottom radiator hose to block. It attaches to a plastic fixture behind which is the thermostat. You don't have to remove any hoses, just unbolt the fixture with hose attached and pull off, thermostat rests in the opening. Carefully remove to save the o-ring. I went with OEM replacement. You will have to drain radiator. Make sure you put the new one in the same way as the jiggle valve has to be in the 12 o-clock position.
Thanks, I was thinking it was there. I got a good look today as I was putting in new spark plugs.

How often should it be replaced. I am thinking with a fail safe thermostat it can go much longer as no danger of becoming stuck closed.

When I refill radiator can I just use Prestone or Peak brand Anti freeze?
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I can offer no opinion on how long the thermostat should last. I will offer an opinion (strong) and say I would not put anything other than Toyota Long Last antifreeze (Pink) from the dealer in my car. It contains a certain chemical additive package with ingredients other antifreezes do not have.....this is what I did and the way I'm going. There will be other opinions on this subject. I did some homework checking this out and all things pointed in that direction.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote