Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #19
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH View Post
Near the bottom of the web page.
http://www.toyota.com/recall/takata

If you click on the down arrow for each colored Zone. It gives data on what vehicles are in the first phase of the expanded recall.
Thanks, that's helpful.

California is marked red, like the south eastern states. That means I'll be prioritized for remedy, right?
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:44 AM   #20
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
I just read a disturbing article online at CNN. Evidently, Fiat/Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Toyota are still using defective Takata air bags on brand new models knowing they will have to eventually begin a recall to replace them. I am still shocked after reading this. http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/01/news...gory=companies
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #21
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
I just read a disturbing article online at CNN. Evidently, Fiat/Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Toyota are still using defective Takata air bags on brand new models knowing they will have to eventually begin a recall to replace them. I am still shocked after reading this. http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/01/news...gory=companies
Sadly enough, I cannot say that I am surprised by this.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #22
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
I'm finally getting mine replaced today. It will be great being able to use the front passenger seat for carrying people again.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #23
ern-diz

Got the remedy notice over the holidays and dropped Vader off at Toyota yesterday afternoon. Looking forward to finally getting the potential grenade out of my passenger dash. They should be pulling it apart as I type this.

We've been opting to take my better half's Accord on any drive we need to take together. Better be safe than sorry, as they say. I'm looking forward to the increase in behind the Yaris wheel time once I get her back later today.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #24
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
I've still not lost any sleep over this one....

Sent from my LG G2 with CM13 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #25
ern-diz

I didn't lose any sleep over it, but I did lose time driving my car because of it. Eleven deaths and over 180 injuries is nothing to sneeze at. No point in taking the risk of driving my car places when we have my better half's car in the garage without the recalled airbag. I'm looking forward to being able to confidently choose to take mine with passengers again, that's all.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #26
tarkus

I haven't lost any driving time either, and I've had family members in the car countless times. About as likely to be hit by lightning.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #27
ern-diz

If you say so

On Wheelwell
Old 01-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #28
Yaris874

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
Soil call toyota customer service today to see if any recall on my yaris because I only been 1 month with my yaris so I have to do like 5 recalls because previous owner never tuck it to the dealer😠😠😠😠😠

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yaris874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #29
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Recall

Yeah. My new-to-me 07 needs seat tracks, spiral cable and passenger airbag. Have vision of mechanic breaking clips/tabs and jamming screwdrivers around in electrical connectors while tugging on wires to get them apart. Maybe a few redline/flatshifts and burnouts on the check ride.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #30
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I didn't lose any sleep over it, but I did lose time driving my car because of it. Eleven deaths and over 180 injuries is nothing to sneeze at. No point in taking the risk of driving my car places when we have my better half's car in the garage without the recalled airbag. I'm looking forward to being able to confidently choose to take mine with passengers again, that's all.
Can you link to the information about those 11 deaths/180 injuries? Are they solely attributed to the airbags, or was that just a contributing factor?

I just got another recall notice in the mail. As someone in a "red" state, I will get it (as well as the other recalls) done in the near future; but I'm not sweating it either!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #31
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Can you link to the information about those 11 deaths/180 injuries? Are they solely attributed to the airbags, or was that just a contributing factor?

I just got another recall notice in the mail. As someone in a "red" state, I will get it (as well as the other recalls) done in the near future; but I'm not sweating it either!
A quick Google news search provides this, from the Car and Driver blog, as the latest article to reference the 1 billion dollar settlement, 11 deaths/184 injuries, the fact that even a small collision can trigger the faulty units and that my state of California is one of the most at risk due to fluctuating temperatures and humidity.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/takata-...es-are-coming/

I understand what tarkus, wiiyari and others are saying about it being a remote chance, but I don't see the logic in rolling the dice when you don't have to. With it out of my dash, it's one less thing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
...Have vision of mechanic breaking clips/tabs and jamming screwdrivers around in electrical connectors while tugging on wires to get them apart. Maybe a few redline/flatshifts and burnouts on the check ride.
Having an aftermarket double-din head unit with microphone, usb to the glove box, etc., I was also a touch concerned about a tech faq'n something up, but my car was returned to me without a trace of anything having been done. It was the same with prior recalls. Maybe I was just lucky?

On Wheelwell

Last edited by ern-diz; 01-05-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #32
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
If they start fixing them now I'm going to be mad because I was told over a year so I gave my 2008 back and got a 13 Elantra that I like a lot less than the Yaris it replaced...
Old 01-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #33
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
If they start fixing them now I'm going to be mad because I was told over a year so I gave my 2008 back and got a 13 Elantra that I like a lot less than the Yaris it replaced...
It's being done by geographic priority based on propensity for fluctuating temperatures and humidity as those are the factors that increase the chances of failure.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #34
tarkus

Quote:
...the fact that even a small collision can trigger the faulty units and that my state of California is one of the most at risk due to fluctuating temperatures and humidity.
Dude, you better move out of there fast, before half the state falls into the sea at the next major earthquake.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #35
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Toyota Takata airbag inflator grenade

Quote:
It's being done by geographic priority based on propensity for fluctuating temperatures and humidity as those are the factors that increase the chances of failure.
That's what's been said from multiple sources for awhile. My question: How the flip does humidity get to the inflator charge...wouldn't that be hermetically sealed for an expected lifetime of at least 50 years?
(Toyota Takata airbag inflator grenade)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #36
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
Dude, you better move out of there fast, before half the state falls into the sea at the next major earthquake.
I think the political landscape is going to do me in before the big one finally hits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
That's what's been said from multiple sources for awhile. My question: How the flip does humidity get to the inflator charge...wouldn't that be hermetically sealed for an expected lifetime of at least 50 years?
(Toyota Takata airbag inflator grenade)
You'd think so, but they went through the exercise of ranking and color coding each state on the map. Happy CA was ranked a red state (far too ironic).

On Wheelwell