Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
gedster314

Drives: Asolute Red 15 Yaris
Wipers?

What are you guys using for wipers. I've always got great service from Toyota refills. Dealer tells me Toyota stopped selling the inserts and only sell the blade. For my Scion, it's $16, little pricey but I can hang with that. The Yaris blade is over $100. So what is a good after market refill or blade?

Thanks
gedster314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
$100? Yikes! I assume that is the dealership blade. Go to any auto parts dealer like Autozone or Oreilly's and you can pick up the Bosch ICON blade for around $25. Supposedly the best blade out there. If you have a problem putting it on the guys behind the counter are usually glad to help.
Myself, I just use a lower tier model from a top brand like other Bosch or RainX. Generally around $17.
I can't remember the last time I just used a refill. The springiness that holds the blade straight on the windshield gets worn.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
YarTed

Drives: 2015 Yaris 5Dr
Hi Gedster, Am glad you have the right idea & reasoning. I have probably changed hundreds of Toyota refills. I worked for various Toyota dealers mostly as Parts manager, for 22 years. If you have OE blades and they are not worn out, sliding in a new refill will bring it right back to a good blade. Is economical and quick. I have seen so many crap jobber blades used and customers opting to go back to the OE blade so they can change refills later. I have not worked at a dealer for 20 years. Since then I have worked for Toyota and have just changed the refill on my 15 Yari. Part #85214-52090 Refill . Tons of stock in Canada & US I think was Calif.Best to remove the blade first There is a clip where it attaches to the arm,you pop the clip off then the blade is easy to remove. Then assemble the new rubber with the metal strips and slide them in together and lock them in just like it had been. Hope it works out , Cheers
I see scylla has answered before me. He is correct there could be some okay jobber blades and yes the blade springs wear out. You should be able to get a number of refill changes before then and the refill should be the most econmical. Just have a good look when it comes time to change. Cheers
YarTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Yeah probably just your dealer. Rather sell whole blade for $100 than refill for considerably less. I changed my wiper refill a few months ago and had no problem buying it at dealer. Try another dealer or online next time.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Where is your car made, Japan or France?

My dealer ordered a refill @ $7 for me not long ago. Unfortunately, the refills only work in Japanese blades and not French blades.

I had to return the refill and buy the blade @ $33. Now that I have a Japanese blade, I can buy refills.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
gedster314

Drives: Asolute Red 15 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Where is your car made, Japan or France?

My dealer ordered a refill @ $7 for me not long ago. Unfortunately, the refills only work in Japanese blades and not French blades.

I had to return the refill and buy the blade @ $33. Now that I have a Japanese blade, I can buy refills.
French made 2015.

I've been to one Toyota parts site online and it showed the refill was not available for the Yaris. I'll try a couple more sites. The car doesn't need them now but if Toyota did drop the refills I better try to get some soon and just keep them handy till it does. I really do like OEM Toyota refills. They work well and last the longest for me. I'm in California where wipers can get baked in summer. You people in snow country probably like other blades for winter.
gedster314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
Or just buy the Denso which is the same as toyota sells.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Denso-Hybrid-...53.m1438.l2649
Denso makes the most genuine parts on a Toyota.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Bosch Icon have worked the best for me. I originally changed my OEM blade to a Goodyear wiper that Costco sells because I’ve had luck with them on other cars. For some reason it didn’t work well on my Yaris. I bought the Bosch Icon and it’s worked beyond expectations. I’ll never go with any other.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yaris View Post
Bosch Icon have worked the best for me. I originally changed my OEM blade to a Goodyear wiper that Costco sells because I’ve had luck with them on other cars. For some reason it didn’t work well on my Yaris. I bought the Bosch Icon and it’s worked beyond expectations. I’ll never go with any other.
I hate the bosh icon. They wear and dry very fast. And as soon as they start drying, they make tremendous amount of noise.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I went with the Michelin Hybrid wipers that Costco sells. They lasted me for around 3 years, which is awesome, considering it rains about 8 months/year up here in BC.