Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
molinee

Drives: 2007 Black LB
How Long Should an Original Battery Last?

I have a 2007 LB with 20K on it. I am beginning to have problems starting with a fast whining sound and then a slow crank and then it slowly starts. Only has did it twice in the last few weeks, but I know it is just a matter of time before it won't start for whatever reason. How long should the original battery last. I live in Denver, CO so the winters (cold) are not that bad. Time for a new battery? Can you change them yourself or is it a problem in the Yaris? Also, if it is not the battery could this problem be caused by a steering wheel that occasionally locks up and I have to wiggle it to turn the key. Also, is there some kind of weight sensor in the driver's side that could cause the car not to start?? I am thinking that maybe I am shifting around in the seat when I tried to start the car.
-tia
molinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Have you checked the water level in your battery it may be low,
your average battery life span is 2-3 years but if kept well maintained
can last for 5yr's +.
Very easy to change yourself , provided you get the correct size terminal.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
My 2001 Echo just came through winter with no problems with the original battery.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Have you checked the water level in your battery it may be low,
your average battery life span is 2-3 years but if kept well maintained
can last for 5yr's +.
Very easy to change yourself , provided you get the correct size terminal.
My battery says MAINTENANCE FREE in about as big a font as will fit under the hood. I've had it for 67k miles now and never have any problems starting. When I look in the little magic eye to add water its still blue(or whatever color means its fine.. lol)
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
about a year and a year n half ago i left my dome light b4 going to cuba for a week..battery dead when i came back boosted it drove for 2 hours which i have to do anyways and battery has been normal since.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
My experience is that OEM batteries = 5 years of trouble-free service in the Canadian climate. Past 5 years I monitor it closely in the fall to be sure it'll have the guts to endure another winter.
Each time the battery is run dead (leaving lights on etc.) shortens the total life of the battery.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
try to let the key to "on", until everything has settled down before cranking it.

i've had this issue once... I've always turned the key straight to START each time and let the computer do its job to crank it until it starts. It did it 2 days straight.. slow to crank and felt like the battery was about to give up.

I've not had this problem since.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Batteries can last one or up to ten years. Batteries are suppose to last at least three years. There is no set life to a battery. You may have one of six cells going bad, so you experience intermittent problems. The best thing to do is replace the battery before you completely stall.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Typical lifespan of the factory battery is about 4-5 years. Depends on who is the manufacturer. If you have something like a high powered stereo. Possibly less.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
molinee

Drives: 2007 Black LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
try to let the key to "on", until everything has settled down before cranking it.

i've had this issue once... I've always turned the key straight to START each time and let the computer do its job to crank it until it starts. It did it 2 days straight.. slow to crank and felt like the battery was about to give up.

I've not had this problem since.
IllusionX ..... Thanks.... I am impatient so maybe I am faster than the computer... Will make an effort to see if that may be it. Thanks to All for some good ideas.
molinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by molinee View Post
IllusionX ..... Thanks.... I am impatient so maybe I am faster than the computer... Will make an effort to see if that may be it. Thanks to All for some good ideas.
Another trick is to turn off all stereo, fan, first before turn off your car, this way the battery has less load to deal with to start up your car.

Make sure you fasten your seat belt before you start your car also, that beep sound seems like causing a little drain for the battery to work.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Take it to any automotive shop (to include WalMart) and they can test your battery for you. It might not be the battery, and if it isn't, you'll want to know.

It is better to be sure of what the problem is and fix it, before it strands you someplace!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
dyslexicanaboko

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I have the same OEM battery, which had to be replaced for me once before when I used to take my car to Toyota for maintenance (I was under warranty). They changed it for free which was nice. I have some wires hooked up to my battery to power my HAM Mobile Radio and I wonder if that has something to do with the wear on it.

I was driving a lot at one point about 80 miles a day and I took the car on a few road trips 600 miles round trip each time. I noticed that the water level dropped in my battery, so I added more distilled water and everything was fine.

Now my battery, even filled up with distilled water, has and indicator of "Needs Charging" the white indicator. The battery is at 13 volts with the car off, which I think isn't great since it should be about 14 volts after being charged by the alternator for a while. I have had the battery for at least 3 years and I am an aggressive driver (I drive on the highway a lot at 80-100 mph usually, in Florida the 55 mph speed limit is a suggestion on I95 :P), plus it is hot as $%#@ in Florida most of the time, so I am sure that has something to do with it (where else did my battery's water go?).

I started to notice that my car takes a little more effort than usual to start, so putting all of these factors together I have decided to change my battery before I get stranded somewhere like MadMax said above.
dyslexicanaboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
victorddr

Drives: 07 Yaris CE
Normal liquid lead-acid battery usually last about 4-5 years. (Including our OEM battery.)
However, deep cycling our OEM battery will severely damage it's life.

Better option will be AGM battery (Spiral cell) since it could last much longer (10 yrs maybe), the drawn back is the price around twice as much as the OEM.
victorddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
Old post but it's been revived. Don't always trust the battery checkers. Canadian Tire told me mine was dead and I needed to buy a new one (I left the lights on). Took it back home, jumped it and ran the car for 15 min, then drove it for 10 min. that was well over 6 months ago. it's an 08 with 149,000km OEM battery still going strong.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #16
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
mine's original from 2007 and its been jump started quite a few times....
Old 08-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
ROCKLAND;
If I buy a new Batt at my local dealership, will it be the correct height. As I understand it the original Toyo part is an odd height so when you buy one in the parts store it won't fit exactly like the OEM one did.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #18
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
00544-35060-550 IS what your looking for and height will be same as factory....