Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Cool Front and rear speaker installation pics

Hope these help, especially if you too go with modifying the stock speaker mounts. I used Pioneer TS-G1644R all the way around (four total; cheap, from an NYC eBay seller). In my install, no wire connector adapters were needed. Not shown is soldering the subwoofer leads to the rear speakers in my two-door 2007 liftback.

Left OEM front door speaker, with the door panel removed:

Topsides of new speaker (left) vs. old front speaker (right, still in OEM mount):

Ditto, except backsides:

Spacer ring removed carefully by prying. Razorblade used later for cutting out the old speaker:

Clipping all the supports from the back:

After cutting around the edge of the speaker, cutting the original speaker-to-connector wires. Keep the wires attached to the mount long for now:

Old speaker removed. Is very lightweight, but gave decent sound at least compared to the awful OEM speakers that were in my RAV 4.1s:

For the fronts, I drilled three holes in the flange of the old black plastic mount (thickest part where three of the largest clipped-out support legs), and used a little Shoe Goo between the mount and the speaker's metal frame (do _not_ get it on the cone or the flexible rubber ring that attached the cone to the frame) and three of the machine screws that came with the speakers to attach them. First made sure the wires are aligned! Then I reattached the spacer ring after notching it in three places. Also used Shoe Goo, from Walmart, to attach the ring.

I let the glue cure overnight, then soldered the further shortened leads. The positive and negative wires and terminals lined up nicely. Protect the cone from the solder!

Completed right front speaker, reinstalled (fuzzy pic taken quickly):

Right rear speaker before:

New rear speaker, left:

For the rear speakers, I was able to reuse the OEM mounts, but because they are smaller than the fronts I couldn't use the three small machine screws to attach the new speakers to the OEM mounts. So I used a lot more Shoe Goo, and also let them cure more than a day.

The new, and also Shoe Goo'ed foam weatherstripping on the reused white trim rings make the speaker fit nicely against the now reinstalled rear panels, and they are preventing rattling of the panel against the speaker.

The new speakers sound quite good, especially considering the very low cost (well under US$100 for all four). They are definitely much heavier than the OEM speakers. Their sound is crisper than the OEM's, and there's more bass. But just a little more bass is my preference:

Bazooka powered subwoofer installation, http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40420
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Great photos! I'm looking at doing this in the next few weeks.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
nice work I need new fronts ounce I get my issue fixed

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
m3177o

Drives: White Egg
hey Lugnut,

thanks for the pic. it gave me a much clearer insight on what im getting myself into. nice job btw. i just realized how open it is in the back. lol
m3177o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Very good!

I'm sure many YarisWorld members will benefit from this!

Thank you,

D.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Very good!

I'm sure many YarisWorld members will benefit from this!

Thank you,

D.
And I benefited from all the prior posts here on the topic; that's what makes these types of forums so great for working on vehicles!

Hope they never go away, like many a website and use of similar USENET newsgroups.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3177o View Post
hey Lugnut,

thanks for the pic. it gave me a much clearer insight on what im getting myself into. nice job btw. i just realized how open it is in the back. lol

For the rear speakers, yes. But a couple of things: 1) the metal where the speaker mounts to is quite thin and floppy, so consider reinforcing if you'll have major bass. 2) The metal has very sharp edges, so I still have cuts that are healing from reaching behind both the old and new speakers.

And look for future pics, in another thread (watch for link in my signature below), about the conversion to a two-seater! Lots of room back there too with the rear seat out.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
7:34pm

Drives: 07 Yaris
nevermind, got it

Last edited by 7:34pm; 08-03-2013 at 01:35 AM.
7:34pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Lars
Yaris beginner

Drives: Yaris XP9F
Nice one thanks... This DIY is a little scary!! :D Let's see what I can do...

PS: What's that shoe goo you talk about? Glue for shoes?? :D
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Panel removal http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...+panel+removal
Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
This DIY is very interesting since you are keeping the OEM plugs. hehe
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
please pin this ...this is a great write up on the install..i know for those that dont want to cut supports out u can pick up speaker mounting kids cheap. Planing on doing my fronts soon.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
yarisgeo13
yarisgeo13

Drives: gloss black 5 door
Send a message via Yahoo to yarisgeo13
Nice up grade for the sound system! My local Best Buy has the up grade stereo system for my 2013. I'm thinking of the up grade.
yarisgeo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #14
II Driftos II
I've made a post!

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris YRS 3dr
Lugnut, you wouldnt have info on how to remove the rear trims to get to the speaker would you? Or would anyone else know of a thread on here with info of how to?
II Driftos II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
LugNut

The rear trim panels are no fun to remove -- I had found helpful info by searching this site. Definitely pull out the rear seat before trying, and be careful so that you don't damage the plastic panels and mounting plugs. I used various plastic trim removal tools (Harbor Freight's -- both the orange and blue sets) to help pop out the individual retainers.