Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
kralmrax

Drives: 06 yaris rs
window tinting

does anyone know what the approx. cost of tinting the back three windows of the 2 door hatch would be? in canadian dollars preferably. thanks for any input.
kralmrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
i am not sure which area are you in,
but in Vancouver here, i asked around to tint my 5 door Yaris 5% 5 window at the back, 50% front driver,passenger's window, 1 company quote me 220 something + tax, the other quote me 250 something + tax, but I end up go to one of the small reliable shop that is introduced by my friend that only cost me 190 dollars no tax, but I have to pay in cash.
They use sun gard which is the commonly used film.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
hoahmaru

Drives: 2007 White Yaris RS B Pac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
i am not sure which area are you in,
but in Vancouver here, i asked around to tint my 5 door Yaris 5% 5 window at the back, 50% front driver,passenger's window, 1 company quote me 220 something + tax, the other quote me 250 something + tax, but I end up go to one of the small reliable shop that is introduced by my friend that only cost me 190 dollars no tax, but I have to pay in cash.
They use sun gard which is the commonly used film.
Is it legal here in Canada to tint the two front windows? I tinted my back 3 windows at Toyota for $350 + tax and I asked them to tint the 2 front ones as well but they said it is not legal so they wouldn't do it for me.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
Ryu

Actually it is not illegal to tint the front window,
so that is why i tint them with the lightest one 50%,
It doesn't look any darker than the original glass cuz the glass itself has some kind of color on it also.
It is mainly just for UV protection, and temperature inside sigificantly reduced under sunny day.
Some people that I know of also tint the front window with 50% and have no problem for many years.

So I think as long as you drive slow, follow the speed limit, you will be fine with it, but don't try any darker one like 35%, 20% in the front.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
hoahmaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
Actually it is not illegal to tint the front window,
so that is why i tint them with the lightest one 50%,
It doesn't look any darker than the original glass cuz the glass itself has some kind of color on it also.
It is mainly just for UV protection, and temperature inside sigificantly reduced under sunny day.
Some people that I know of also tint the front window with 50% and have no problem for many years.

So I think as long as you drive slow, follow the speed limit, you will be fine with it, but don't try any darker one like 35%, 20% in the front.
so the solar tint that is included in the Yaris is similar to the 50% one? do you know if the solar tint is for sun glare only or does it reduce some heat in the car a well?
Old 03-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Ryu

I don't think the solor tinting one included in Yaris is similar to 50% tinting, but I am not sure what does it do exactly.

I just go ahead and do the traditional tinting
Old 03-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #7
LAHAL

Drives: 07 Yaris RS B package Manuel
hey i'm getting my windows tinted on saturday, on my 5 door yaris, i was looking at 50% for front and 20% for he back ones. Do u have any pictures, of what it looks like with the 5%, because if the 5% looks better, then i'm gonna go with that.

Thanks
LAHAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:15 AM   #8
Ryu

These are the 2 pictures with tinted glass that have 5% at the back, and 50% front, with that Rally Spoiler and lowered spring.

I just took those 2 pictures to test it out, later i will take some good shot later,
by the way it is quite a cloudy day right after i got my window tinted, so it might not look as good as sunny day.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited by Ryu; 03-27-2006 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #9
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
5% seems too much in the back, the comparison seems a bit awkward. But gotta love that spoiler tho.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
LAHAL

Drives: 07 Yaris RS B package Manuel
DAMN, 5% looks nice, the 50% on the front is barely noticeable. i think i'm gonna go with 5% now that i see it. thanks Ryu.
LAHAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
Ryu

No problem, I think the darkness of the window is based on pesonal preference.

I also saw some people do all around 35%, which is 35% back, 35% front, that sure make it evenly looking, but i don't recommend it cuz 35% at the front is more riskier
Old 03-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #12
ange008
It's just me...

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5door RS w/ Pkg. B
Quote:
Originally Posted by kralmrax
does anyone know what the approx. cost of tinting the back three windows of the 2 door hatch would be? in canadian dollars preferably. thanks for any input.
How does an exact price sound? I got mine done on the 5 door here in BC, it cost $400.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #13
hoahmaru

I got mine done at toyota for $350 CAN (including tax) - 35% back 3 windows
Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #14
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
You arent allowed tinted front door windows in Canada are you ?

Here in australia, darket legal tint is 35% ..... i have 20% all round on my echo, and will probably get 20% or even 15% on my next car. 5% rocks, but makes it hard to see at night when parking :P
Old 03-29-2006, 01:39 AM   #15
nwdixieboy

Drives: ecoh
I just bought my US Yaris and dealer said that the windows have UV tinting built in.
nwdixieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #16
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdixieboy
I just bought my US Yaris and dealer said that the windows have UV tinting built in.
Yep, that's the green tinge to the windows...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #17
Karel

Drives: 2004 Phontom Grey Camry SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
Actually it is not illegal to tint the front window
It is true that it's illegal in BC and Alberta, however, province like Ontario does allow window tinting in the front. Details are as follows:

What are the laws of automotive window tinting?
The laws regarding window film vary from province to province. The following are a summation of the laws in each province:

British Columbia - No film is permitted on the driver compartment, right and left. Any film may be installed on the side windows behind the driver. Any film may be applied to the rear window, provided the vehicle has 2 exterior rear view mirrors.

Alberta - Same as British Columbia.

Saskatchewan - Same as British Columbia.

Manitoba - For driver compartment, right and left, the minimum visible light transmittance, net, is 50%. The maximum visible light transmittance, net, is 35%. For windows behind the driver compartment, the minimum Visible Light Transmittance, net, is 35%. Where film is installed behind the driver compartment, 2 external rear view mirrors are required. The net figures that are allowed are enforced at plus or minus 5%.

Ontario - For the driver compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver compartment, any film can be installed.

Quebec - For the driver compartment, right and left, the minimum Visible Light Transmittance is 70% on automotive net basis. Any film may be installed behind the driver compartment, provided the vehicle is outfitted with 2 exterior rear view mirrors.

New Brunswick - Same as Ontario.

Prince Edward Island - Same as British Columbia.

Nova Scotia - No film is permitted on any glazing surface.

Newfoundland - Same as Ontario.

NOTE: Laws vary from province to province and may change at any time. Courage Distributing recommends you call your local Authorized SUN-GARD Dealer for the most current regulations in your province.
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #18
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
damn tint is expensive in Canada
You can have it done in New York for the liftback for less than $165US dol
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote