Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Is it bad not to have an inner front fender?

Is it bad not to have an inner front fender? Driving through a berm of very hard snow The right inner Front fender was torn off. Also the front bumper cover was cracked on the right-hand side. I think that can be fixed. By me!

What will happen if I drive as it is? Will components under neath the fender be damaged?

Thanks!

PS I have the inner fender and it’s pretty much on damaged.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Is it bad not to have an inner front fender? Driving through a berm of very hard snow The right inner Front fender was torn off. Also the front bumper cover was cracked on the right-hand side. I think that can be fixed. By me!

What will happen if I drive as it is? Will components under neath the fender be damaged?

Thanks!

PS I have the inner fender and it’s pretty much on damaged.
I mean, some pictures would be helpful, but I'm pretty sure nothing is necessarily "wrong" with it. For the most part, the yaris body panels are aesthetic and there's mostly nothing immediately behind them that's particularly important. Of course, save for the main support structures and crash structures and whatnot, but judging by your description, the only thing I can think of that may cause some serious concern for now is if the damaged pieces come into contact of things they shouldn't, such as spinning wheels and suspension bits. Post some pics of the damage and perhaps someone smarter than us can chime in.
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I would think water is going to splash up onto places you might not want but I don't know how bad that is.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
bronsin

All I have left to take pictures with is my iPad. I have some but they won’t post to this site as it is they have to be reduced. Can you tell me how to do that I can’t figure it out.

Looks like the front bumper cover is cracked too. If left by itself it will eventually shredded to pieces. So that means the shop has to do the work. They want $900 for the inner fender and bumper cover.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
bronsin

Yeah I’m worried about water getting in the engine and the electrics under the fender and the bumper cover. So it’s got to be fixed right. I could just drive it on sunny days I’m retired I just need to go shopping and run errands. But eventually it would be used in the rain and that might be trouble!
Old 03-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
There's various aftermarket parts out there that are waaaaaaaaay cheaper. I used aftermarket inner fender liners on my 2007 and they fit okay. Good enough for the 20ish dollars they cost haha.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Other issue to be concerned about is rocks/salt being spun off the tires and hitting to paint. Once chipped rust will start to form fast. That's one of the major benefits to those guards is it blocks the rocks from contacting the metal
Old 03-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
bairjo

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ner-liner.html
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
bronsin

Thanks for that last post that’s what I need to know! And what I suspected. I’m just going to have to bite the bullet.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Like Dodge Aries K says, they're dirt cheap and I don't think it would be a bad install after having replaced my headlight bulbs. It's low cost/effort vs a lot of damage that could happen as a result of the piece being missing.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
quite easy to replace yourself. Usually its only the front part that is shredded or if you are low enough the top part of the liner. Genuine ones are stupid expensive for things that will get shredded up (for those of us lowered). I went with cheap $15 ebay ones per side. But like most non oem parts, i had to adapt it to fit perfectly. Basically i cut it in half, and overlapped it on top of the OEM one. (imagine 2 pieces of paper on top of each other but offset) I did it this way because it didnt quite match 100% on the rocker panel side.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Just had the same thing happen. Ripped out the driver side on a snow bank.
Engine shields are really messed up. Duct taped it all together while waiting for ebay parts. Less than 1/2 the cost of dealer.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #13
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
engine compartment pan shields scoop snow in reversing Toyota Yaris

Left and right pan shields scoop snow when backing up...can deliver grit to serpentine belt. Thinking about ways to mod.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote