Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Injen Hydroshield Install and Review

I just got mine in the mail today, and installed within 20 minutes. Wouldve taken 5 or less, IF I didnt have foglights blocking the access area to my Intake filter.

Note that I have the Original AEM filter on mine, cleaned recently. Heres the pics.

AEM Filter alone:

Hydroshield and Filter:

Now when you install the shield, its pretty easy, it has elastic on the end that wraps around the filter, so it can fit snug against the filter once its on all the way. Simply slide it up and on slowly, making sure its an even fit. The shield made it all the way over the filter piece and ended up snug against the back of the filter (rubber part) where it leads to the outlet.

Filter and Shield Together:

Snug across the base:

Snug and tight:

I tried to get the fitment even across this section, but couldnt get it done. Tried at it for at least 5 minutes and just gave up, its still on there good enough to hold on tight.

Reinstalled:

Better pic installed:

Now I got a red filter from the top view!

In the end, I am happy with it so far, I hope to update this thread with a real test of how it works... I did remember sweating a bit from the heat, and a drop of sweat beaded off the material just as intended! Product works on the small scale, just hope it can bead off some of these Florida thunderstorms.

I will be taking the car for a spin today and see if it seems like the prefilter does any restriction on the intake.

REVIEW:

Well today I got a good 50 or so mile drive in on the filter, it doesnt seem to change a whole lot when it comes down to the way the car responds, if it does...its too small of a loss to notice at the seat, but at a Dyno it might do something negative, >1HP (IF there is even enough loss of HP to detect)

So it didnt rain today, so I did the next best thing. Went to one a Typhoon III Touchless car wash system, got the most expensive wash, which meant more wash and rinse cycles. Left the car on so it would try and suck water particles into the filter, needless to say. After the wash, I checked the prefilter and there was just a bit of water still clinging to the material, the I decided to do my 'test'...which was just try and see if I could get some of that water from the outside of the prefilter to the actual intake...nope.

Even after going through a touchless car wash, with the engine running. When accelerated to WOT less than 2 minutes being exposed to what would be the same of a nice drive in the rain. Nothing effected the car. So the true question was, was I lucky and no water got to the intake enough to drown it (doubt it)... Or did the Hydroshield do its job, I hope it was the second one.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:41 AM   #2
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
lol i love how u were trying to get water in

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
nice buy,

just one question:

what did you use to clean the dry-flow filter?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Sabretooth
37HSSV

AEM sells a kit, you can pick it up for about 9 bucks plus shipping.

Its basically a process of putting water in a bucket to a level in which the water doesnt pass the level of the cotton filter. You add the solution, water turns soapy... then you move it around in a turning motion to clean it (loosens up stuff on the filter), after doing that a while, you rinse the filter. Then empty the bucket, do the process again with the other solution bottle. Let the filter dry completely, then isntall.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
fits any filters? I have fujita 's filters from my intake...

I like this, since i drive in the rain and fog light cover is removed to let more air through to intake on my car.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Fujita sells many different sizes, you would have to check what exact type of filter you have and then you can find out what size of Hydroshield you need.

I just bought one that was closest in size to the AEM filter I have.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Interesting. You won't have a hp difference. I dyno'd my Yaris with only an intake by itself and then by blowing freezing cold air directly onto the filter with absolutely no difference in hp whatsoever. So I doubt a sock for your filter will drop any. Anyway, nice find. All I knew of before was the by-pass sponge.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Sabretooth
37HSSV

ya, I was opting for the Bypass filter, then found this...decided to give the cheaper of 2 options a try, and if this failed. Then go with a bypass. So far this is holding up, but strange enough I want it to rain here, and it just wont rain.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
today and tomorrow will be good test days ;)
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Sabretooth
37HSSV

It rained a lil bit yesterday, but it wasnt the good soaking that I was hoping for, hopefully we get some rain strong enough to be considered a flooding. lol.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #11
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Today...couldnt had been a better day to test the new Hydroshield.

It rained for about 2 hours before I even had the chance to start the car, so hoped the same event would happen as before I had the shield, water would soak the intake before I even started to drive. Its usually a 25% chance this doesnt happen.

It didnt happen, tested at WOT to make sure. Everything was smooth throughout the powerband, no effect from the rain or water. All the way to work it drove like it was dry and sunny outside.

When I got to work, it rained for about another 6 hours before I got the chance to drive the car to lunch. Got in the car, once more drove the car a bit, then checked to see if the shield did its job. Once more, Hydroshield ftw!

It rained pretty off and on all throughout the night, I got out of work at 4am. Only to find out work sprinklers on! (WTF water waste!), but that meant more water was spraying on/near the front end of my car, in a mist fashion (which can enter the intake easier without a pre-filter). Once more, tried to see if everything was soaked...NOPE, car drove fine!

So heres my FINAL Review of the Injen Hydroshield...
BUY IT if you have any problems associated with water either entering your intake system, or just moisture is causing havic with your intake.

I ran the thing through a car wash, engine on... then through a light rainstorm, then it rained all day! night! and then I got more water from sprinklers! Before the Hydroshield my car would be sputtery in the high RPM's trying to fight off the water. So I would drive slow... At least in the last couple days, the amounts that were subjected to my car havnt changed the performance or even the usual pain of driving a car with a Cold Air intake (no bypass filter) in FL.

I am not claiming this is the savior of my problems, I can still see problems if I submerge my filter, but this has solved my problems with moisture soaking my filter and causing my car to act crazy during the wet months of the year.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Movetoyou

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
So the hydro shield is worth buying?
Movetoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
i actually HAVEN'T touched my TRD/AEM cold air since i put it on 47K miles ago.....

IMO this hydo-shield is really up to the individual's taste.....
ROCKLANDTOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote