Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Tinted Windshield?

I had the Yari at the tint shop the other day to get an 8-inch, 20% windshield strip put on. Of course the usual is 4, but that windshield is huge! Anyway, he asked me if I wanted to tint the whole windshield! At first I thought maybe, and then I told the guy to just do the strip.

Surely he wouldn't have tinted that whole windshield 20%! I looked through the strip that night and couldn't see shit. Possibly 35% would be okay, but I honestly don't know the laws on that. I do know that my 20% all around on the windows is not legal, but I do live in South Jesus, Kentucky after all...so, no worries about that.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i may not be able to help too much...... but i can confuse things a little more for u :) lol

in my area it is completly illegal to tint the front windsheild. even the strip ontop can only be 6 inches from the top.

also in my area the drivers front side and passanger front side can only be 35% and back max (if i have heard correctly) is 25% but ppl get away with 20%.

i will find out tomorrow for u for sure (i work with alot of ppl that deal with this stuff on their cars)

shouldn't the guy at the tint place know all this info? lol
Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
also when it comes to tint, with pollerized sunglasses u see lots and lots of imperfections in especially aftermarket tints. i wouldn't want a chance of that on my windsheild
Old 09-20-2010, 02:40 AM   #4
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
also when it comes to tint, with pollerized sunglasses u see lots and lots of imperfections in especially aftermarket tints. i wouldn't want a chance of that on my windsheild
Yup I see dots wearing polarized. Would not be a good combo with front window, tho o though about doing something really light like 70

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:38 AM   #5
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Quote:

I'm sure the guy knows, but then again he tinted my windows illegal too. Around here, you sign some paper for them that says if you're stopped you'll not tell the cops it was them who tinted the windows illegally. It's a weird setup in my area. In a bigger city no one will dare tint your car illegally. You can't get them to do it. We know that the tint is illegal but about 75% of the vehicles in my area have dark tint so you cannot see inside. That's the way ours is, but it's illegal and we've even been stared at by cops at traffic lights, but we discovered they were only looking at our rims. lol!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
i have my whole windshield tinted 35%, and the rest of the windows 20%. I have no problems at all with police. I drive at night fine. I do not have any problems with imperfections. My tint is very illegal, even if the windshield was not done.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
nightstalker

Drives: 08 yaris lb
I have my windows tinted all the way around 20% except the windshield but the only reason my lady got a ticket for was because she was speeding 20 miles over the limit
nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
i may not be able to help too much...... but i can confuse things a little more for u :) lol

in my area it is completly illegal to tint the front windsheild. even the strip ontop can only be 6 inches from the top.

also in my area the drivers front side and passanger front side can only be 35% and back max (if i have heard correctly) is 25% but ppl get away with 20%.

i will find out tomorrow for u for sure (i work with alot of ppl that deal with this stuff on their cars)

i am sure the guy knows, but they always say, i will do what you want, as long as you are ok with it being illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I'm sure the guy knows, but then again he tinted my windows illegal too. Around here, you sign some paper for them that says if you're stopped you'll not tell the cops it was them who tinted the windows illegally. It's a weird setup in my area. In a bigger city no one will dare tint your car illegally. You can't get them to do it. We know that the tint is illegal but about 75% of the vehicles in my area have dark tint so you cannot see inside. That's the way ours is, but it's illegal and we've even been stared at by cops at traffic lights, but we discovered they were only looking at our rims. lol!
I think any shop will tint your car the way you want, i mean you are paying them. As long as they tell you it is illegal, it is up to you.

But the windshield, i am not sure that is really legal anywhere. The strip is, but 8 inch is a ton.