Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
LewisM

Drives: 2002 Yaris
Neighbor hit my door, what are my options for repairs?

A fortnight ago my neighbor reversed off her drive into the side of my car. She's accepted full responsibility, but said she'd rather pay herself instead of going through her insurance and losing her no claims bonus.
I went to a few body shops who quoted anywhere from £800-1200, all of them saying I'd need a completely new door that would in turn have to be sprayed to match my car. I found one garage that said he could do it for £450-500 with a second hand door, but even that seems steep.
To be honest I think I could do it myself - I've never done anything like this before but it doesn't look that bad. Plus I have access to a commercial spray booth, so I might even be able to spray it myself.

Everything on the door still works, so as far as I can see my options are:

1. Buy an entire door 2nd hand for about £100-150 and fit that. I'd rather not do this as the chances of finding a whole door that fits and is a good colour match seems slim. Plus taking an entire door off seems like it would be pretty complicated?
2. Try to push the dent back out, fill and sand where it's needed and attempt to respray the door. I've never actually done any spraying, let alone a car so I'm really not sure about this. I was hoping there might be some sort of product I could use that would make it easier?
3. I saw someone online talking about buying door skins, which I'm presuming are the metal that goes on the outside of a car. This seems like it would be perfect for what I need, can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

I get on pretty well with my neighbor, she's got a young kid so I don't want to slap them with a huge bill. I'm also not super bothered if the car doesn't look perfectly new, I just want it looking better than it currently does.

Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks!

Oh and it's a silver 2002 Yaris, if that makes a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car_1Resized.jpg (58.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Car_2Resized.jpg (75.8 KB, 101 views)
LewisM is offline   Reply With Quote