Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
45k clutch is going

I am at 45k and the clutch is starting to surrender. I bought the car used and I dont beat on it much. I bought it with around 24k I assume the previuos owner was not a good driver and really let the clutch have it. Or this normal life spam of the factory clutch? with my current clutch there is none of this happening only this till I change it.
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
O.O
do you ride the clutch a lot?

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
06silveryaris

no but I think the previuos owner did. This is the first time a clutch has gone so fast
Old 02-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
82,000 on a 07 5 speed. Never had a clutch slip ever
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
06silveryaris

I do little hwy driving and here in PR its very hilly and slow. As far as slipping during acceleration, it has not gotten that bad yet but has started to jerk at regularly.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
IF at a stop, you have the car in gear and depress the clutch while waiting, it will polish the flywheel and eventually cause slipping and chatter. While stopped on an uphill, you ride the clutch to keep the car from rolling backwards will ruin a clutch. Many people think they know how to drive manual, but they make simple mistakes that cause premature failure.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
now i've wondered this for a while..... i always thought u knew how much clutch u had left by the grab point and how far up the pedle travel it is?? vs how much travel is left..... what is ment by its getting jerky? my car is jerky between shifts but i've always figured that was me getting use to DBW and the small friction point

i drove a car once that needed a clutch adjustment (old cable clutch) and it was slipping like a mofo but for the most part it was smooth......
Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
how do you know if your clutch is bad? sorry guys this is my first manual trans car. i'm at 70K and it's still feel fine, a little stuck sometimes, but i think it's need new oil. Do i need to replace or repairs...? at 100K or something?

Thank you
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I don't think i'm the easiest driver on a clutch, but 2 out of my 3 cars have been manuals. Combined on those 2 cars i've driven about 60,000 miles, 42k currently on the yaris... and i've never burned up a clutch.

sounds like previous owner had a heavy left foot.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Defective clutch binder?

I replaced the clutch in my wife's Corolla. She got it hot once in slow construction traffic and it started coming apart. The grab point kept getting higher and it started getting hard to shift into gear from a dead stop. When I pulled the tranny there was clutch yarn and loose pad material everywhere. I drove an 80's era Corolla for 250K miles and never had a clutch problem. She had 50K miles on it. In 30 years of driving I've never had a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford clutch go out either.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.

Last edited by metalshark; 03-07-2010 at 07:32 PM.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
IF at a stop, you have the car in gear and depress the clutch while waiting, it will polish the flywheel and eventually cause slipping and chatter. While stopped on an uphill, you ride the clutch to keep the car from rolling backwards will ruin a clutch. Many people think they know how to drive manual, but they make simple mistakes that cause premature failure.

so you saying holding the clutch down while in gear and riding the clutch are both bad, right?

I drive manuals but dont own one....

however when I do drive one.... when at a light I will take it out of gear and put the Hand brake on... then when I need to go I will put it in gear and slowly release the hand brake to prevent rolling back like a lot of people tend to do over here in this country

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
how do you know if your clutch is bad? sorry guys this is my first manual trans car. i'm at 70K and it's still feel fine, a little stuck sometimes, but i think it's need new oil. Do i need to replace or repairs...? at 100K or something?

Thank you
Standard clutch test:

1. Park your car in safe spot with nothing in front of you.
2. Fully engage the parking brake.
3. Start the car and leave it in neutral.
4. Depress the clutch, shift to fifth gear (parking brake still engaged), and slowly let out the clutch and do not give ANY gas.
5. If the car stalls, your clutch is still good.
6. If the car does not stall, your clutch is starting to go.

If you fail the test and do not stall, repeat for 4th gear, and then possibly third.

If you do not stall 3rd, you BADLY need a new clutch. You may be able to squeeze a little more life out of clutch that fails 5th gear and/or possibly 4th. . .
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
06silveryaris

Luckily i has not gotten worst these past couple of days but I will replace soon anyways just cause the pedal feel is off and the jerking. I would not be surprised about premature wear since I do have to balance gas and clutch a few times on a daily basis in some hilly entrances. I will take advantage of the situation and change the tranny oil too when I drop the tranny.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
06silveryaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Standard clutch test:

1. Park your car in safe spot with nothing in front of you.
2. Fully engage the parking brake.
3. Start the car and leave it in neutral.
4. Depress the clutch, shift to fifth gear (parking brake still engaged), and slowly let out the clutch and do not give ANY gas.
5. If the car stalls, your clutch is still good.
6. If the car does not stall, your clutch is starting to go.

If you fail the test and do not stall, repeat for 4th gear, and then possibly third.

If you do not stall 3rd, you BADLY need a new clutch. You may be able to squeeze a little more life out of clutch that fails 5th gear and/or possibly 4th. . .
I'll try that too
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
yaris2010RS

i did it! lol, clutch is good (awww) but i still feel its grabbing too high..... any ideas?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #16
djct_watt

Move your foot? I would get a second opinion first if this is your first manual car. . . but a high grab point is not a bad thing. . . you want to ensure that the clutch is completely disengaged when shifting.

Anyway, loosening the clutch cable will lower the grab point. But again, if you do not slip in 5th, then everything is working fine. . . the pedal should slip all the way to very last inch or two of travel. Try driving a Porsche GT3. . . heavy heavy clutch, a very high catch point, and a very finicky throttle.

Here is an exercise to help learn your clutch (I do this on ever MT car, the very first time I drive it). Shift to first, and then with no gas (and parking brake released), slowly let out the clutch. Learn to do it slowly enough and be smooth in the catch point that you can start rolling and completely release and engage the clutch without using ANY gas. I can do this on almost any car, save for a big rig or a heavily loaded vehicle. As long as the clutch is good and you are on flat land, it can be done EASILY.

In fact, the Yaris is so light, I tend to do this in traffic, allowing me to drive with just one foot.

Other cool things to learn:
Learning to shift without using the clutch via perfect rev matching (you shouldn't do this, but it's a good skill to have).
Rev matching on downshifts
Double clutching on aggressive downshifts (like downshifting into first gear, or jumping 5th gear to 2nd/3rd after an unexpected loss of speed).
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #17
djct_watt

And sorry if that post sounded condescending. . . it is very possible that the cable needs to be adjusted, but 99.99999999% of the time, people just aren't used to their clutches.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #18
yaris2010RS

lol, i dont understand y everyone's first comment has to be a smartass one

and i can do that in my car, with my new custom intake i can do it up my driveway too.

and here is my smart ass comment :) the yaris clutch is fluid clutch, not cable..... meaning u dont know what ure taking about :) (i mean no disrespect, iunno when they switched to fluid over cable but 09+ is fluid

i'd like it a bit lower since that is how i got the car, got use to it, let my mom drive it and now its funny.... lol

also i have asked this many times before...... does anyone else notice their clutch will grab low one time, then next time grab quite a bit higher?

EDIT: SORRY, NOW I SEEM LIKE A DOUCH.... i didn't realise u also drove a 2010...... before anyone has a chance to get mad at me, possibally different regions have different clutch systems. the North American Yaris is fluid controlled