Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Dropped battdry hook inside engine bay

I was changing out the battery and the hook that secures the battery dropped inside the engine bay. I looked and couldn't see where it dropped to. How worried so I be about it rattling around if I can't find it? Would I be able to go to auto parts store pick it up or do I need to go to the dealership? What about driving around without the end hook temporary?
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It is a Toyota specific part. My biggest concern would be driving over it and having it poke into a tire. Check on top of the tranny. If you remove the battery and the battery pan you should be able to find it.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
M4One

I still cannot find it after removing the battery and the pan. It's weird because there almost seems like a perfect spot where it could have dropped through to the ground, yet I can't find it, unless it rolled off somewhere l I can't find it. I even moved my car hoping it might drop out.

What about the driving around without the battdry being secured. Safe?
Old 11-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4One View Post
I still cannot find it after removing the battery and the pan. It's weird because there almost seems like a perfect spot where it could have dropped through to the ground, yet I can't find it, unless it rolled off somewhere l I can't find it. I even moved my car hoping it might drop out.

What about the driving around without the battdry being secured. Safe?
No - I would definitely secure it in some way. You may be able to purchase an aftermarket hold-down that will work.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:47 AM   #5
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Did you check on top of the plastic panels that go to the bumper?
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
MedMantle

Drives: Yaris '05 1.3 Hatch "R.I.P."
I once dropped a fuse down there and literally found it a week later just lying there on the gearbox. The stuff can seriously disappear. Like "sex" said, maybe take off the front bumper and it might just be lying there **
MedMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #7
M4One

The good news is that you can go into your local auto parts store and pick up a battery hold down kit. I went to Canadian Tire and got the 10" (25 cm) for $6.49 before tax. There's a shorter 8" one, but the 10" is the right size. Each kit comes with 2.

The bad news is I still haven't found the original, though I do think it did fall into the panels underneath the bumper. Not directly behind the bumper, but past it. So, without being able to safely lift up my car, I'm not able to access to where I think it is.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:12 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4One View Post
The good news is that you can go into your local auto parts store and pick up a battery hold down kit. I went to Canadian Tire and got the 10" (25 cm) for $6.49 before tax. There's a shorter 8" one, but the 10" is the right size. Each kit comes with 2.

The bad news is I still haven't found the original, though I do think it did fall into the panels underneath the bumper. Not directly behind the bumper, but past it. So, without being able to safely lift up my car, I'm not able to access to where I think it is.
When you go to sell the car before giving the keys to the new owner kick the left front tire. The battery hook will fall out of wherever it is.

Seriously the important thing is to get that battery tied down so it doesn't come loose and cause more problems.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
M4One

Yeah, the battery is nice and secured now.