Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Yaris Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Overall Exterior Paint Care

Ok, so after reading several forum posts I'm still a bit confused about the wax/polish/clean/erupt/glisten/frost/embolden (ok, I'm done) debate.

Maybe I am making everything a bit too difficult for what it has to be. There have been some wonderful posts on the topic, from people that seem to have a deep expertise with keeping a car protected and looking nice.
Among these, sorry if I omit but I would really like to hear from keesue, Nimble, bigsky2 among others on the questions I have remaining.

By the way, I'm only talking about OTC stuff (no super premium show waxes/whatever). 1800 bucks for WAX is unreal. 20-30 bucks for a decent product that lasts is an option.

*****From bigsky2*****

I believe Maguiar's clay bar is ok to use on a clearcoat paint finish. It is stated as being clear coat safe.

For waxing, I'm going to use Maguiar's Gold Class LIQUID Wax. It has been proven to be as effective as the paste. I like the idea that it's easy to apply, hence allowing you get a nice thin coat on it, and just as easy to remove.

I've a question though... I had a conversation with someone who is an auto detailer and he explained that a protecting the car is a 5-step process.

1) Wash - get rid of dust and dirt
2) Clean - get rid of scratches and other minor defects
3) Polish - brings out the shine in the paint, protects the shine
4) Wax - protects the paint from the environment
5) Maintain - all of the above

My question is, Is POLISHING necessary for a new car?

****End Quote****

A.)
I understand, now, that it is necessary. But what is a polish? Examples? What is a wax? Examples?

****From Nimble****

Wash
Spot dry (no need to fully dry since you're going to clay next)
Clay
Rewash
Fully dry
Polish
Your favorite LSP (last step product) i.e. sealant or wax, I prefer sealants.

****End Quote****

B.)
This post is super clear and concise, is this order the general opinion or the all powerful "Rule" that everyone follows?

For example, what I plan on doing is this:

1. Washing with a simple (biodegradable if it matters, I try to be green (hence the Yaris)) car wash formula.

2. Drying with this drying cloth I bought (Walmart, 6-8 bucks). I don't have it at hand but it feels rubbery when wet and if allowed to dry gets stiff and is not flexible.

3. Claying with Mother's clay kit. Might be Megs but I forget. Was a kit at wallyworld (where I got all the carcare stuff) that had a yellow clay bar in the box.

4. Re-washing with same wash as before.

5. Drying with same cloth.

6. POLISH?? WTF do I do here, with what, how!

7. Waxing with Meg's NXT paste wax. Maybe more than one coat, maybe not.

C.)
What the he*l is a sealant? Is every wax a sealant? Is every sealant a wax?

D.)
How to "touch up a job like this"? How often to repeat steps 1-7? Should I wash in between? Wax? Scream? Cry?

Please set me straight on this. I plan on keeping this car looking good for a good long while if possible and would like your opinions on protection/ease of care.
Yaris Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I've been reading these posts for a while and will finally put my 2 cents in. I've been waxing my cars, or my brothers, for nearly 50 years now....I like it simple:

1) Wash with a soft cloth and mild detergent.
2) Dry with a chamois (got mine at Walmart too) ...soak it in a bucket of water and work it till soft first!
3) Polish only if paint is faded or scratched/swirled....remember polish only works by removing the top layer of paint.
4) Wax with product of our choice...preferably long lasting as top priority.
5) Wash again with only water and soft cloth.
6) Dry with Chamois again.

I've never seen a need for claybar, never used it...what can I say! I'm sure not everyone agrees with me!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
Every step has its purpose.

Like churp said above, polishing is primarily for restoring lost shine. It works by "cutting" the top layer of paint off (hence "cut job"). You should have shiny new paint right now, so IMO I wouldn't bother with this for a long time. (I've heard of people "polishing" new paint to smooth out orange peel.. maybe someone else can comment on that)

Claybar is for picking up fine dirt/microscopic debris that is embedded in the paint (stuff that doesn't come out with wash). This stuff usually takes time to accumulate on the paint. Claybar, like polishing, is not something you do with every wash (maybe every 6 mo - 1 yr, depending on how anal you are =p). When I tested it (I used a Mother's claybar kit from autozone with spray/etc), I found that it did make the difference between glassy smooth feeling paint vs slightly draggy paint, but.. I felt that it took WAY too long to do, so I'll leave it for professional detailers every year or two for my car.

Wax/Sealant.. every few washes. It's your paint's first layer of protection. My favorite wax ever is Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid. I prefer it over the twice-as-expensive Meguiar's NXT Generation paste that I have, just because the gold class is WAY easier to put on and take off. The difference in shine is almost zero as far as I can tell. Not sure if NXT Gen lasts longer though.. Turtle wax ice = not the best shine, but very easy to put on & forgiving with missed spots/crannies/plastic/etc.. In fact, I keep my bottle of ICE in my kit just for the plastic trim on my car. I have 20 year old plastic on my car, and the ICE changes it from gray to black.

Professionals, please correct me if I've given any wrong info, but this is the information I have gathered over the years (and my opinions about waxes after personal experience).
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
grampi

Drives: Corolla
If you want to get the absolute best look possible from your paint, follow these steps:

Wash vehicle with Dawn dish washing detergent.
Go over all painted surfaces with a clay bar (this removes any overspray or particles that may be embedded in the paint)
Polish with either Zaino, Duragloss, or Classe
Repeat application of polish as necessary and you will have people commenting on how nice you car looks!

BTW, using Dawn is not something that should be done on a regular basis. All other times use a good non-polish removing car washing detergent.

Last edited by grampi; 08-02-2007 at 12:05 PM.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote