Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2012 SE
just installed 1zz throttle body

Disconnected the battery. Took out the original tb. Applied gasket maker on 1zz tb but i let sit for only a few min. Put the new tb in but realized the coolant hose didnt fit so i bypassed it with a brass pipe that i got from lowes for 3 bux. Installation took about 45 mins i think. Reconnected the battery and started the car. No check engine light but At first the car sounded as if it was dying for 5 seconds but after that it stayed at a 4k rev then dropped down to 2k within 10 seconds. I had the car on for 15 mins. As i was driving i didnt notice much of a change when i accelerated moderately from 0 to 6(i guess i expected too much from a throttlebody) but as soon as i floored it, the rpm shot up to 6.5k rpm easily. When i leave have the car in neutral the car is rev hunting from 1k-3k for liken 5 seconds( i have an automatic)I just hope nothing bad will happen since i bypassed the coolant and i only waited a few minutes to install the tb after i applied the gasket maker. Overall, this mod was okay lol. Next mod: mi crank pulley.

Btw i didnt adjust the idle screw yet so let me know what you guys think.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:12 AM   #2
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

update: i notice an increase of gas assumtion. My gas meter is going down quicker than before����
Old 07-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
MedMantle

Drives: Yaris '05 1.3 Hatch "R.I.P."
I'm not too sure how they operate on an AT. Bypassing the coolant pipes should not be a problem, I have had mine bypassed for more than a year already, it's just to keep the TB from freezing or something. From what I have heard you should let that gasket maker dry overnight so it doesn't get sucked into the engine.

I'd suggest lowering your idle till about 1K. When I cold start it goes up to 3K RPM and slowly goes down to about 1K :) The rev hunting is still a bit of a mystery to me, but it seems to get a lot better after a day or so **
MedMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
You really should have waited a lot longer before starting the engine. Generally it takes about 30 min. for the liquid gasket to become dry to the touch. (ask me how i know) That's why I prefer not to use it unless I have no other choise.

Really, the longer you wait, the better. Now, who knows, you mighty have just gotten a sticky throttle body due to the gasket maker.

I would suggest checking the throttle body to make sure it's clean, and operates smoothly. If everything looks good, then like MedMantle said, reduce your idle to about 1k, and the hunting should be alot better in time.

Also, your observation is correct, the new throttle body will only affect your top-end power, because that's when the engine needs more airflow. Low-end, it really isn't going to make a big difference.

Last edited by invader166; 07-04-2015 at 01:58 PM.
invader166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Thanks for the input guys. But im still shocked my gas meter is dropping really quick. I might just change it back because of that
Old 07-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeelo View Post
Thanks for the input guys. But im still shocked my gas meter is dropping really quick. I might just change it back because of that
I still do 370 miles per tank and some occasional speed bursts to 110-115mph. I also get sometimes over 400 miles per tank when I drive nice. lol I doubt it's the TB causing higher fuel consumption.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
scod4025

Drives: 12 LE 5d HB 1nz-fe Automatic
All your issues are caused by not adjusting your TB I had the same issues when I installed mine mpg dropped to 23mpg and the searching is your ECU trying to find a lower idle I had the issue until I'm got it under 700 rpm at idle

Its all in my thread

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53738

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Last edited by scod4025; 07-06-2015 at 08:06 AM.
scod4025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Thnks scod! I'll try to adjust it again this week and update you guys. However i may have stripped the idle screw a little. The allen key i used fitted perfectly until i tried to loosen the the screw which now isnt budging at all. Idk what exactly to do at this moment.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
scod4025

If you did strip it out you can drill it out and put in an cap head screw, if you look at the Throttle Body review thread this also happened to crankyoldman and this is what he did to fix the issue, if I have time ill look and see if can find somewhere that sells the long allen screws

Edit: wow just noticed your right down the road from me Ill see what can find in the area
Old 07-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #10
scod4025

Here found these from the specs that are in the TB review thread and the have 2 or 3 stores in Stockton if I remember right. let us know how it goes let me know if you need more info, will pull my set screw out later if I get time to see what end it has on it

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/25359?term=set+screws&r=~|categoryl1:"600000 Fasteners"|~ ~|categoryl2:"600047 Set Screws"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600049 Socket Set Screws"|~ ~|attrlength:1350|~ ~|sattr04:^"1/4" - 20"$|~ ~|sattr06:^Oval$|~
Old 07-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Forgive me in advance and tis are newbie questions, but I'm confused. If the route to forced induction via turbocharging calls for bigger injectors and a bigger TB, but invader166 is indicating than the bigger TB only benefits top rpm performance how is Turbo charging the 1NZ-FE of any benefit on the street where Mid range is used most of the time? I hope I'm not asking a foolish question, but the responses are leading me to the conclusion that turbo charging the engine isn't going to give me more power across the power band, or if it is, a significantly lower compression ratio is needed to achieve that power which will eat up fuel and remove any economy from the vehicle. I'm really confused.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Toyotoad View Post
If the route to forced induction via turbocharging calls for bigger injectors and a bigger TB
Where are you getting that information on the TB from? Most S/C and turbo implementations on the 1NZ that I am aware of have not touched the throttle body. In a lot of cases, yes larger injectors have been installed, but stock TB is left in.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #13
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Where are you getting that information on the TB from? Most S/C and turbo implementations on the 1NZ that I am aware of have not touched the throttle body. In a lot of cases, yes larger injectors have been installed, but stock TB is left in.
The Zage Turbo kit has the additional option to be run with the 1ZZ TB. I'll see if I can find that link again. I thought it a little odd myself but as I indicated I'm just starting to understand the route to forced induction on the 1NZ-FE.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
scod4025

Ok so with a TB on a N/A engine you wont see much of an increase of power and will likely see a drop off in the low rpms but you will have a quicker throttle response in the mid range and will be able to have a better top speed and performance in the high rpms, But when you start getting into F/I you things are a bit different as to with a turbo you will see the gains in the same areas as a bigger TB but at larger amounts with the supercharger you will see the increases at the lower rpm range and will fade out at the high rpms so it will depend on the type of driving you do most daily drivers will benefit more from a S/C then a turbo and they can see increase in gas mileage depending on how the system is set up. Now for people that would like to have their cake and eat it too there is double charging which will give you both a S/C and a turbo but these systems are complicated to set up as to if you want them in series or in parallel and have to double your air cooling capability

so it really depends on what you want to do with your car just need to get it set to how you want to drive your car and what you are willing to sacrifice, be it engine longevity, high rpm, low rpm, or cash

and everyone else please point out things I missed or might have gotten wrong
Old 07-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
WeeYari's right. You don't really NEED to have a bigger size throttle body if you're going the forced induction route since I think the Zage turbo kit and Blitz supercharger are designed to work with the stock TB. At the same time I don't think that would that really hurt anything either. My idea was that a bigger TB would reduce restriction, and thus increase the efficiency of the supercharger or turbocharger. I don't know for sure if you'll be seeing a huge gain by doing that though.

However, if you were to get a bigger size turbo or supercharger that can supply the engine with that extra air that the TB allows for, your could be seeing some big numbers. (with proper tuning of course)

Can you imagine, fitting a GTX turbo designed for a 1.8L corolla on a yaris.