Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
So what you're saying is;

1. You have put your 4Runner on a dyno? Makes MORE BHP than it should? I'd like to see that dyno sheet.

2. You go 8,000 miles before changing your oil... And continue to say you have more EPA horsepower ratings, fuel mileage, etc?... Right. Proof?

3. ''All the compression it should'', yet you don't have a number...

4. No damage to the motor whatsoever? So you must know of Blackstone Labs? May as well post up your progressive stack of every oil analysis you've gotten, along with that dyno sheet.

I'm afraid, my friend, I do not go to high school , so the cars you speak of, ''grandpa era'', are not a factor. But it made you sound kinda badass I guess

Mr. Burgman... I'm seriously convinced you have no idea what you're talking about. I'll take your ignorance to my last post as a sign of you not knowing what aaannny of that actually is (measuring blocks, open/closed loop, etc). Using biiiig sophisticated words doesn't help the fact that you're talking from your ass... And speaking to me as a lesser person isn't gonna go very far. Props for trying though. This is a technical forum, not a pissing contest ().

And in all seriousness, the two of you should check out mobil 1's formula list...
What I said was: NO damage to motor of any significance.

You are preaching 'technical', yet cannot even read correctly. idiot.

I am not saying it will never wear out, I am saying that 11 years of 'start and go immediately' have no real impact
on the thing as a daily driver. you can sit and warm up your car all you want there, Chieftain... all you will
do is waste gas. I can start and go and still have a decent engine at 11 years plus. so there. real world use.

if you race a car that is a different matter entirely. warm ups are needed on race engines.

yes, a warm motor does perform better, but is warmup needed on a daily around town driver. NO.

Whatever. I am not into finite oil or engine analysis on my cars. it is a friggin car, not a nuclear warship. I worry more about steam engines and ceramic impellers in real life.
----
tests were done at 166,340 miles

dyno results were

original dyno run at 2000 miles was
163 hp /234 torque (186 hp adjusted)

166,340 miles run was
168 hp /234 torque (190 hp adjusted)

compression tests at 166,355 miles

1- 178psi
2- 175psi
3- 181psi

4- 188psi
5- 182psi
6- 179psi

all 6 tested on warm engine within 2 minutes

I did these checks because I -was- gonna sell it, but then decided I will never
sell it

Do I know of Blackstone Labs ? sheesh are they any better than Lockheed Martin or Pratt and Whitney at
materials analysis ? want me to send you some NASA stickers ? done with this one. pointless.

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 03-14-2010 at 01:29 PM.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
From my own experience, I would be inclined to say "impressively little" wear. Significance is relative. I tend to keep my cars a very long time. Like 20 and 40 years. (Call me sentimental.) And I dread overhauls. They always seem to result in some sort of complication. And, at the very least, expense... no matter how long the original lasts. It's possible that a certain amount of extra warm up might be beneficial over the very long run. Or... it could be, as you say, insignificant... even in my situation.

It's an interesting topic. Actually "topics", since we have two questions. How do warm ups affect fuel economy under different use scenarios? And how do they affect wear? I was planning on scoping out the easier of the two: fuel economy, this week. But surely Car & Driver, or Consumer Reports, or *someone* with better resources has researched these things.

I just now got back from a long trip and am not too keen on a Google-hunt, sorting out all the credible wheat from the unreliable chaff. But I figured I'd mention.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Boost Addicted

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5spd, 2005 GLI 1.8T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

You are preaching 'technical', yet cannot even read correctly. idiot.

I am not saying it will never wear out, I am saying that 11 years of 'start and go immediately' have no real impact
on the thing as a daily driver. you can sit and warm up your car all you want there, Chieftain... all you will
do is waste gas. I can start and go and still have a decent engine at 11 years plus. so there. real world use.

if you race a car that is a different matter entirely. warm ups are needed on race engines.

yes, a warm motor does perform better, but is warmup needed on a daily around town driver. NO.

Whatever. I am not into finite oil or engine analysis on my cars. it is a friggin car, not a nuclear warship. I worry more about steam engines and ceramic impellers in real life.
----
tests were done at 166,340 miles

dyno results were

original dyno run at 2000 miles was
163 hp /234 torque (186 hp adjusted)

166,340 miles run was
168 hp /234 torque (190 hp adjusted)

compression tests at 166,355 miles

1- 178psi
2- 175psi
3- 181psi

4- 188psi
5- 182psi
6- 179psi

all 6 tested on warm engine within 2 minutes

I did these checks because I -was- gonna sell it, but then decided I will never
sell it

Do I know of Blackstone Labs ? sheesh are they any better than Lockheed Martin or Pratt and Whitney at
materials analysis ? want me to send you some NASA stickers ? done with this one. pointless.
Hahaha yes indeed, I must be an idiot. Well I guess the three of us can agree on one thing... That this is a complete waste of time. So this shall be my final post as well on this thread.
Boost Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
Well I guess the three of us can agree on one thing... That this is a complete waste of time. So this shall be my final post as well on this thread.
Boost Addicted,

I don't think that this thread necessarily has to be a waste of time. It could be a good thread or a bad thread, depending upon how the participants handle it. 127.0.0.1 and I tend toward the "just drive it" opinion. You're the fellow carrying the "warm it up first" side. And that's a very reasonable view. But maybe it seems like we're ganging up on you or something. I don't know.

I'm less concerned about right or wrong, or the winning or losing of an argument, than I am with what useful, helpful, or education information comes out of the thread.

I'm wondering... where is the pivot point? How far or little can you push the throttle before wear per mile stops decreasing and starts increasing... or fuel per mile stops decreasing and starts increasing.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote