Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
Body trim for echo

Hello Everyone,

I am asking a question about the yaris/echo from 2001-2004. I understand that all the exterior trim was black but has faded to grey. I am considering redying the plastic since its faded or just using the plastic paint and repainting it black. I just wanted to make sure I had it correct. I have the mica green color and all the photos and a copy of an old brochure seem to indicate that it was black.

I was thinking of using showroom new dye or the kyrlon plastic spray paint. I repainted some plastic Adirondack chairs with the plastic paint since they were faded. It looks brand new and it kept the original texture of the plastic and its been a year now with no fading/peeling/cracking with the new paint. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this. I know on some older plastics hitting it with a heat gun brought the oils to the surface for a long term new look. I don't think that will work on this trim.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
TheDriver916

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
i think its mothers that makes a product called back to black. I used it on my impala were the trim faded just like yours. its kind of a mix between a plastic wax and armoral so use it a few times and see how it goes before you start painting anything. But my impala's fading wasn't too bad and Ive seen some echos that the trim gets really faded.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
the problems with the back to black is that it runs when it rains and leaves black streaks. The streaks won't really show but if i'm going to spend time rubbing something into the trime, I'd rather do it once.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote