Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
Jeanseb29

Drives: Toyota Yaris RS 2011 (HB)
AFE intake installation problem

Hi,
I just finished installing an AFE intake in a 2011 RS I bought 4 months ago. My problem is with the part I'm holding on the photo. It was originally holding on to the oem intake tubing close to the throttle body. Now its not fixed to anything and I don't know what to do with it. I saw on an other post someone who screwed it to the metal box right in front of the intake tubing but in my case I can't reach that point because of the length of the tubings. Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Jeanseb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanseb29 View Post
Hi,
I just finished installing an AFE intake in a 2011 RS I bought 4 months ago. My problem is with the part I'm holding on the photo. It was originally holding on to the oem intake tubing close to the throttle body. Now its not fixed to anything and I don't know what to do with it. I saw on an other post someone who screwed it to the metal box right in front of the intake tubing but in my case I can't reach that point because of the length of the tubings. Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

Pretty sure those tubes and that solenoid is used for evap purging into the intake from the canister. That said, you could get some longer tubing that is good for fuel vapors and trim the longer one. What you can do with that is it gives you a chance to move the solenoid elsewhere and secure it wherever you could.

Otherwise, zip tie it is all I can think of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I ziptied nine back when I had my 1nz. Just make sure nothing runs. It is your evap solenoid iirc
Old 10-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
That's very odd that they didn't account for relocating that part. Even the crappy $50 eBay CAI that I bought to fabricobble my supercharger intake had a flange with a hole to mount the evap solenoid.

The metal bracket is screwed to the back of the solenoid, so if you're feeling crafty you could make a new mount that attaches somewhere else nearby. The bolts on the throttle body are fairly easily accessed and have some extra length to accommodate the coolant filler neck.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Jeanseb29

Thanks for your quick reply's. It gonna be zip tied temporarily until I have more time to change the hoses. Here' another picture from a different angle before the zip tieing.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Jeanseb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
That's very odd that they didn't account for relocating that part. Even the crappy $50 eBay CAI that I bought to fabricobble my supercharger intake had a flange with a hole to mount the evap solenoid.

The metal bracket is screwed to the back of the solenoid, so if you're feeling crafty you could make a new mount that attaches somewhere else nearby. The bolts on the throttle body are fairly easily accessed and have some extra length to accommodate the coolant filler neck.
The step by step instructions that came with the afe intake where unclear and the pictures very pixelated. Same as with the pdf you can find on their website. I will take a look in couple of minutes to see if I can bolt the metal part somewhere.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post

I agree with this. I recommend get crafty with it and post back! I’m looking at an AFE intake as well, I’m curious what you’ll end up doing with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Drives: 2012 Toyota Tundra and Yaris
I zip tied mine. been like that for 20,000 miles and so far so good
Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
For such an expensive intake of expect afe to have figured it out...
Old 10-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
Jeanseb29

Problem fixed! I removed the screw that hold the metal bracket from the solenoid and replaced that bracket with the angle bracket in picture 1. I had to cut a piece of plastic on the solenoid to position the bracket in the right position so it doesn't look weird. Picture 2 and 3 show you before and after removing the small plastic piece. I guess it served as a guide when fixed on the original bracket so I don't care cutting it. I then used a hose clamp to hold the metal bracket against the intake pipe. Just under the higher clamp.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
yeah then soon after you find out that the heat shield rusts up and crumbles.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote