Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
txprsn

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
2009 Yaris Sedan engine vibrates; is this normal?

I just bought a 09 Yaris Sedan (Automatic) and have noticed the car has a slight vibration. I can feel it on the seat when I am driving. I would not classify this as a shake, more like a slight vibration. When I open the hood, I can see the engine and some ducts and hoses vibrating, but not shaking (perhaps if I post a video it could help describe it). I feel it when in idle and then not so much in the highway, perhaps bc of ambient noise/motion.

Is this normal...how loud and how much should a Yaris vibrate.

I noticed this a few days after I bought it and I want to say after I put gas from Quick Trip (87). I tried some Chevron with Techron today and noticed it still vivbrates.

Maybe I'm being paranoid and picky.

Never driven a Yaris (or toyota) so I dont know what to expect. I come from driving a '03 Passat.
txprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
ya, it vibrates kind of a lot. If you call it slight don't worry. If it gets suddenly worse, then you might have a problem.

If you're really paranoid, you can throw some lucas in the transmission and engine, and hell the fuel tank too if you want. All 3 products noticeably reduce vibrations in my yaris.. Could be a placebo though...
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Mine feels awfully smooth. Of course, I came to it from an inline 5 cylinder Volvo and a 90° Nissan V6 in a Mercury Villager. Both shake a lot more than the little Toyota 4 banger. Oh yeah, I used to ride Harleys too.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Mad Goon
New To The Import Thing..

Drives: 07 Yaris 71 Comet 69 Maverick
Send a message via AIM to Mad Goon
Thumbs up

Noticed some shake in the wife's 07 as well.. Of course it doesn't dance as much as the 302 in my Comet, but I've noticed a lot of engines have a slight vibration.. I always thought this was normal.

Vibrations could also just be related to how well the vibrating objects are anchored to the engine bay.
Mad Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Yep. They all vibrate. An inline 4 looks nice and symmetrical, but is inherently unbalanced. That's why big 4s often use spinning balance shafts to compensate.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
txprsn

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Thanks guys for the feedback....by what you guys tell me this may be normal behavior.

BTW any of you in the US know how the free oil change works from Toyota dealers? I'll post it as a separate question, though.
txprsn is offline   Reply With Quote