Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #199
KingForADay

Drives: 2013 5 dr. Liftback Yaris LE
$3.49 on the low end at non-Arco stations here in Orange County, CA. A jump of a dollar from a month or so ago. I think some of it is due to the refinery explosion from a few weeks ago in LA county.
KingForADay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #200
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
GAs is coming down! It was $2.25 ten days ago, then $2.19, and this am $2.17.

This is in South Jersey.

Everybody get your friends to buy a Yaris (OK....a Fit) and it will come down even more. Is there anything better than colapsing gasoline prices? Sex? Drugs? Well CGP is right up there! Tell your wife! Tell your friends buy SMALL and Thrifty!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #201
pjon

Drives: Yaris Icon+ 1.33 vvti
It's increasing in the U.K. for some reason.
It dropped to £1.03/litre ($1.56) a few weeks ago. Approx. $7.08/Imperial Gallon, but has steadily increased to £1.14/litre ($1.71). Approx. $7.76/Imperial Gallon.
Remember, we are not called "rip off Britain" for nothing!
pjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #202
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
$2.44/gallon regular unleaded here in northern MN.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #203
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
Been staying around $2.249 here. I'll have to fill up again in the next few days, I hope this tank is better than the 38.3 indicated on my UltraGauge.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #204
Jcp123

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Wow. I can't imagine not using A/C in the car here . I've only had one car that didn't have A/C. during that time I spent quite a bit of time in north of Sunol parts of the I-680 corridor. And to top that off, the color of the car...black. A car without A/C....never again.

The difference to me is that you can opt out of some costs here, and that one has much more control/say/input here.

Telephone, etc fees are higher, and there is sales tax on most services here, where that doesn't exist in California.....but the services usually cost more...with the added cost being more than the tax differential.

Texas has two homestead exemptions. One is open to anyone. You must submit a pre printed form to the appraisal district 'swearing' that you do live there. There is an additional homestead exemption for Age 65+ (my next door neighbor has the same standard exemption that I do, but he also has the additional age related exemption). After moving to this area and building my house in 2008, JOOC I decided to compare The Woodlands to comparable suburbs in LA/OC and in the Bay Area.....similar properties with similar amenities, low crime, greenery, etc. I figured that a $250,000 house in The Woodlands would cost $1,250,000 in either of the areas of California. Five times as much. I'd bet the difference, percentage wise, is at least as much if not more now. My homestead exemption brings me under 3%, but I do know people who pay 3.4%. I'm aware that people in parts of Oakland, CA have SEVENTEEN DIFFERENT ADDITIONS TO THEIR PROPERTY TAX BILL (mostly parcel taxes). This brings their 1.0% base rate up to 1.7% These additions will = a lower % of the total for people who haven't been in their house very long (not as much benefit from Prop 13). So the rate in Texas might be twice as much, but the amount that is based upon might be five times as much. The standard exemption in Texas limits assessed value increases to 10% per year, whereas Prop 13 in California limits such yearly increases to 2%. The overall amount (not the rate) people pay for property taxes in Texas is often less than it would be in California......AND.....no state income tax. The 9.3% state income tax rate in California starts at a bit over 40k per year. Here in Texas you can mitigate the overall impact of a property tax by buying a less expensive property and, since most of the property tax goes to the local school district, you can go to board meetings and have direct input if you so desire.

True, but the registration fee is a very small flat amount that is based on the type of vehicle, rather than being based on a percentage of the purchase price as in California.

I'm agnostic. When I moved here, I expected (mostly re internet research) to be questioned all the time about church. It has only happened a few times. From my observation, the size of the area/metro might determine the extent to which this might be an issue. Others might come to different conclusions.

Yeah, pretty silly.

Yeah, re buying your own.....but the flat terrain can sometimes make finding a place to watch planned displays a PITA .

I agree, generally some of the most truly polite people you will ever meet.

I wish we had the same water quality your area does.
Re: taxes, I'll take your word for it. I haven't taken the home ownership plunge yet :D

Montgomery county is sort of an exurb of Houston, no? I'm sure you get more progressive city dwellers around there. The religious stuff drives me nuts here! Bible Belt is alive and well, strange after spending the first 20 years of my life where religion was a non-issue and believing the Bible Belt was an old wives' tale which made a convenient scapegoat for whatever was bothering someone.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:28 AM   #205
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp123 View Post
Re: taxes, I'll take your word for it. I haven't taken the home ownership plunge yet :D

Montgomery county is sort of an exurb of Houston, no? I'm sure you get more progressive city dwellers around there. The religious stuff drives me nuts here! Bible Belt is alive and well, strange after spending the first 20 years of my life where religion was a non-issue and believing the Bible Belt was an old wives' tale which made a convenient scapegoat for whatever was bothering someone.
Especially in the southern part lof the county, progressive people, I find, are usually more often transplants from other states, rather than people who move out from Houston. A book entitled "Next stop, Reloville: Life Inside America's New Rootless Professional Class" mentions that The Woodlands ranks second among all U.S. communities/CDPs/towns etc. re the percentage of residents who were born in another state. Only Alpharetta, GA (where some relatives of mine from California happen to live) has a higher percentage of residents born in another state.

I would say the people of the southern portion of Montgomery County (where most of the population resides) are generally conservative, but reasonably sophisticated conservatives...generally well traveled, well educated folks who have experienced a fair bit of what life has to offer. Not people who most would likely consider rednecks.

The website 'The Daily Caller' ranked the 20 most conservative counties in the United States. Montgomery County ranked third on that list. Number one was Williamson County, TN (suburban Nashville...includes Franklin, TN...one of the most beautiful non coastal towns/cities in the country, IMO). Number two on that list was Gwinnett County, GA (suburban Atlanta, adjacent to Fulton County where some of my relatives from California live). Montgomery County is considered sort of a 'tea party hotspot', and Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain had their debates here during the 2012 cycle. The last Democrat to carry Montgomery County in a presidential election was President Johnson in 1964.

There are over 3,000 counties or county equivalents in the United States. The growth percentage in population from 2000 to 2010 made Montgomery County the 24th fastest growing county in the United States over that period of time.

In 2012 I was part of a fascinating three way conversation with two very different other people. One was a single guy who moved here from the Bay Area to build his dream house, on acreage, and had a horrendous experience. He's originally from Southern California, and had been taken to party political events (he's a Democrat) starting at age four by his furniture store owner dad. The other person, sharp as a tack, was a woman in her 90s, a lifetime area resident, who had owned restaurants and invested the profits in residential real estate and the financial markets. They only seemed to agree on one thing.....that most Texans are friendly, but that it is a fake, 'Minnesota Nice' kind of friendly. I wholeheartedly disagreed with them then, and I still wholeheartedly disagree with them.

I imagine that size, location, and the nature of the economy combine to make the Tyler area a place where the 'bible vibe' would be more intense (than my area), and harder to escape or ignore.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 AM   #206
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Still going up here. I got gas about 19 hours ago. $1.98 9/10 per gallon, tied for 4th cheapest in our metro. Two stations at $1.89 9/10 per gallon were the cheapest, and another station was at $1.95 9/10 per gallon.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #207
Jcp123

Gassed up today @ $2.249. A disappointing 38.06mpg.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #208
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Is there anything better than colapsing gasoline prices? Sex? Drugs?

Quote:
Tell your wife! Tell your friends buy SMALL and Thrifty!
One caveat. Lower prices = less tax revenue for government. Rather than, as a response, to look for ways to trim government spending.....many goveernments instead would look for new streams of revenue...to come from the taxpayers .
Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #209
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Still going up here. I got gas about 19 hours ago. $1.98 9/10 per gallon, tied for 4th cheapest in our metro. Two stations at $1.89 9/10 per gallon were the cheapest, and another station was at $1.95 9/10 per gallon.
Got gas about an hour ago. Same price.....$1.98 9/10.... and same station (Kroger at SH 249 & FM 2920 in Tomball, TX). However this is now THE cheapest station in our metro, rather than 3 others being cheaper, as was the case last week.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:15 AM   #210
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Visiting my parents in PHX for a couple weeks. Regular is generally 2.29 right now. For some odd reason premium is as much as $.50-60 more! Wtf is up with that?!?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:55 AM   #211
bronsin

$2..1 here this am in NJ> Its coming down pretty slow but steady.

I wonder why oil you put in the engine is still so high?
Old 03-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #212
Jcp123

Holding pattern - 2.249 here. At 5 cents/mi, I'm not complaining. Esp. since 84 miles of my last tank were paid by the company @ $0.35/mi. Pays for the whole tank with $ left over.

Engine oil? At least one of two things:
1. We have been acclimatized to higher engine oil prices
2. Volume is low enough on engine oil that cheaper base stocks haven't worked their way through to the shelf

Retailers set the final price though, so it may be that they are still hedging and anticipating higher prices. Or, the heavier elements which come out of refining might be going to other uses at the moment.

Who knows.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #213
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Regular gas $1.149 CAD a litre in Chilliwack this AM. I sort of smile as we were paying around 1.35 to 1.40 CAD when oil was double the price it is now. The Canadian dollar has gone down about 25% since then but even taken that into account somebody is making good money off us. Hate to see what the price will be when oil goes back up to $100 per barrel.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #214
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp123 View Post
Gassed up today @ $2.249. A disappointing 38.06mpg.
38 is disappointing lol? I average about 32...
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #215
Jcp123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
38 is disappointing lol? I average about 32...
It is for me. I'm showing 42+ for this tank :D
Old 03-18-2015, 06:00 AM   #216
bronsin

This am one station dropped 2 cents and another raised two cents.