Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #91
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
^

By the way, I did, too, drive approx. 50 miles to get my Yaris since I wasn't having very good luck with the local dealerhips.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #92
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I drove 25 miles west to deal with a guy I could talk straight to, at a dealership where the service department isn't run by people with bad attitudes. One Echo and three Yarises later, I'm very happy and would recommend Toyota of Kingsport to anyone. (And Michael Cox, the salesman.)
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #93
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I drove almost 100 miles each way to get what I wanted and I went there and back twice. The first time was to put down the deposit (no one locally was willing to track down the color I wanted) and then I went back 10 days later to pick up the car.

Did most of the negotiation over the telephone. I knew the price over the telephone before I drove up to put down th deposit. They agreed to add the cuise for FREE when I got there to put down the deposit and when I picked it up they had added floor mats for FREE for all my trouble and coming so far. They knew I had gone past 10+ dealerships to get to them.

It's worth it to make the trip to get what you want at the price you want to pay then take it to the other dealer for service just so they know you bought one any way.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #94
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Ok, the "vacationing" car salesman from Don Moore Toyota in Owensboro, KY, has taken the time to respond to my inquiry.

He included a page of auction sales results in his Email to show me that 2008 Cobalt LS's are going anywhere from $7000 to $9200. See the chart below.

The salesman, Jeff, says that he can probably let the Yaris go at invoice price and give me $8000 to $9000 trade-in. I asked him if invoice on the Yaris and $9500 trade-in would be out of the question, considering that the Cobalt is in PERFECT condition. (I pointed out to him that, according to what he sent me, a couple "average" condition cars went for $9000.)

I told him to get back to his vacation and wait until next week to get back to me, if he wanted to.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:26 AM   #95
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
I would definitely make the trade. The Yaris will probably stay more reliable than the cobalt as it gets older, and it will hold its value better, so if you decide to sell it in 3 years, it will still be worth something.

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #96
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

OK, Jeff got back to me and said that my proposed deal of invoice on the Yaris and $9500 trade-in allowance on the Cobalt might work, but we would have to get together in person and let their "official appraiser" see my car. That's reasonable.

The question is, IF I get that deal, SHOULD I do it????

Tomster
Old 04-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #97
brainless twit

Drives: 2009 base sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
And this is probably the worst place to ask that question, because you already know what most of us are going to say.
brainless twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #98
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Well, if you go back and read the post where I told about the deal I got on the Cobalt, you will see that when all rebates, my GM Card earnings, and my trade-in allowance on that old beater pickup are applied, I got the Cobalt for $10,630 plus tax and license.

If I get $9500 for it, I would be losing only $1100 on it, looking at it like that.

I know, it STILL doesn't make sense, since I have perfectly good car with only 15K miles on it that gets decent gas mileage and has a monthly payment of only $228.

Tomster
Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #99
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I say heck yeah, do it!

They're giving you a more than reasonable offer for your Cobalt.

I know your Cobalt is a nice car, but you obviously don't have that bond between man and machine.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #100
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
OK, Jeff got back to me and said that my proposed deal of invoice on the Yaris and $9500 trade-in allowance on the Cobalt might work, but we would have to get together in person and let their "official appraiser" see my car. That's reasonable.

Tomster
In my opinion, yes. As computerlove87 pointed out, in a few years a Yaris will be worth much more than your Cobalt. Nothing against your car, but it is a Chevy; and if they are willing to give you a good trade-in on it, and you want the Yaris so bad (which is completely understandable), then you should take the offer.

My Passat was starting to fall apart but it probably had a couple of years left in it, and I was happy not making payments on a second car at the time; but I just fell for the Yaris hatchback so much that I knew I was going to get one. I had the same desire for a Jeep for the longest time, and finally got one two years ago but now I wish I had done so sooner. Life's too short to put off the good things, as long as the rest of your life is stable and secure (job, mortgage payments, etc) and you can afford it, I would say go for it!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #101
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
If your going to only lose out on 1100, and everything else will be close such as monthly payments, etc...then I say go for it. Like everyone else said, if you stick it out with the Yaris, it's resale value will definately make up that 1100 down the road...probably even much more so then that. I see it all the time around here in Detroit, the domestic vehicles usually always resell for alot cheaper then the imports which can usually pull a higher premium even if it has more miles, worse condition, etc.

And if the bug bites you, you can always style up the Yaris or put some mods on it to handle like a street legal go-kart. Not to mention the car should last years due to the Toyota engine. I've never owned a Toyota before mine but I hear all the time about how tough they are so I guess I'll find out if it's true or not, so far I find it very believeable :)
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #102
Giobatera

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Well, with that being said, let me put it this way. "HELL YEAH BRO!!!!" Get the Yaris and enjoy it to the extreme!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #103
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:

Tomster

Sad to say, $1100 doesn't go very far these days, so if that's the only obstacle I'd say get the Yaris already!
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #104
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Do it!
mr9865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #105
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Ok, if the loan calculator on Edmunds.com is correct, if the dealer rip-off fee is the same at Don Moore Toyota as it was on my son's car deal at Hudson's in Madisonville, if I really do get the Yaris at invoice ($15,386 vs $16,285 MSRP), and if I do get $9500 trade-in allowance on the Cobalt, and if I go through my credit union for 5.25% for 72 months, the payment would be only be $267 vs the current $228. That's just $39 per month difference, and I would get most of that back in gas savings.

I would, of course, be making 72 payments of $267, for a total of $19,224, but by keeping the Cobalt, I would make 53 more payments of $228, for a total of $12,084. Would it be worth $7140 (minus gas savings) over the next six years for me to get the Yaris??????

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Tom

Last edited by YarisOwnersDad; 04-03-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #106
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Would it be worth $7140 (minus gas savings) over the next six years for me to get the Yaris??????
Unfortunately, only you can make that decision.

I would suggest to see if your son will switch you cars for a week, and make sure you absolutely love it before you decide to spend the $7K more.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #107
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Well, I will have saved a couple thousand in gas expense after those six years. (If I keep driving 18K miles per year, and if I get 38 MPG on the Yaris vs. 28 MPG on the Cobalt, then I will save $2030 in six years on gas, using $2.00 per gallon for the gas price. I think we all know that it will go back up eventually, as much as we wish it wouldn't.)

At the end of the six years, I will have a seven year old Cobalt with 126,000 miles on it, if I don't trade, or I will have a six year old Yaris with 108,000 miles on it, it I do trade. Not sure how much difference there would be in the value of those cars.

We haven't brought insurance into this equation yet, either. I need to find out how much it will go up, but I doubt it will be very much.

Tom
Old 04-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #108
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

I just checked to see how much my six month premium would go up, and I'm afraid we have a show stopper here.

NOT!

It would go up $13.82 per six month premium.