Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Exclamation spring install. Help needed asap!

Today I figured I install my tanabe df210s today. weather isn't on my side and is on the verge of a downpour, but I'll work in the rain if I half to.

I've ran into numerous problems just taking off the front stock suspension. I started on the driver side and ended up having to take the wiper assembly out and all the metal shrouds due to lack of tools I suppose.

Anyways, I cant seem to get the top strut nut off, at all. Won't budge. Everything I have tried hasn't worked. If I keep up trying I'll end up striping everything out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Have you had a read of this .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yaris spring install.pdf (2.19 MB, 45 views)
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Jeemee

man I have read both DIYs. I see a good impact being the only way. Both DIYs said they did it with a open box end and a 6mm hex. But my bluepoint wrench couldn't get that angle even with the wiper assembly removed and the black shroud. Both the wrench and hex were slipping and SAE stuff wouldn't fit properly either. I can understand how to do it, but I can't figure how the fuck to do it, lol.

I have given up today, but if anyone has any tips on how to do this easily please let me know.

Anyone in central Arkansas on here? Know of anyone with an impact or maybe a more vast selection of tools?

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Old 05-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Jeemee

Step 14 =

Last edited by Jeemee; 05-01-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Make sure you aren't trying to remove the spring top nut, it isn't supposed to be removed until the strut is out of the vehicle. Remove the 3 smaller nuts. I think the larger center nut might be spinning the strut rod anyway, so it might not back all the way off. Either way, you DO NOT want to release all that spring tension while the strut is still on the car. Very bad. If you follow the DIY, the Yaris struts should be one of the easiest removals out there. The rear is even better.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Jeemee

You know, you just may be right! Can anyone clarify this, as it's not really that specific in the DIYs. Are the two nuts, one holding the top of the strut in place and one holding the spring. This is how I assumed it was. It very well may be only one nut, and it's hold the spring.

You know, I never thought of that! Let's make me feel stupid shall we lol

Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
It's one nut.

Quote:
due to lack of tools I suppose.
Probably. A 17mm OFFSET box wrench will get that nut off without having to remove the shrouding.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Jeemee

Yeah, no offset wrench, but do I need to loosen the nut first, or will it come out without? I removed the shroud so I could reach it but it would not budge.

Here's a quick list of what I did

Took wheel off.
Took nut off of sway bar link.
Took off both lower strut bolts and nuts
Took off wipers, assembly, and shroud
Took off brake line nut
Took off dust cap on top of strut (a 17mm nut stared up at me and laughed )

Here's a quote from the "Tanabe" DIY:
Quote:
Once all is removed, the only thing holding the strut/spring assy., is the upper nut.
...Leading me to assume there are two nuts.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

[QUOTE]It's one nut./QUOTE]

Crap. I mixed-up my Yaris w/ my Miata. I've changed struts/spring on both in the last couple of months. Sorry about making things even more confusing.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Are you holding the shaft with an allen wrench while you loosen the 17mm with an open-ended wrench or offset box?

Also, you can get an affordable/decent offset box wrench set (metric) for $10-$15 at your local Auto Zone or Wally world. Well worth the investment.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Jeemee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Are you holding the shaft with an allen wrench while you loosen the 17mm with an open-ended wrench or offset box?
Yes. 6mm. Started to slip before it broke loose (allen key not wrench).

Old 05-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
need to take off the top nut bolt first to remove it...u could buy a cheap $30 lighter operated impact wrench at kragen or autozone...03z33 and i were having the same problem yesterday and he decided to buy those cheap impact wrench...sucker works like magic..
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
Jeemee

If there is only one nut (assuming it holds in the spring) do I need to loosen it to remove the strut assembly from the car? At which then I'd compress the springs for an easier removal of course.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
Jeemee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
need to take off the top nut bolt first to remove it...u could buy a cheap $30 lighter operated impact wrench at kragen or autozone...03z33 and i were having the same problem yesterday and he decided to buy those cheap impact wrench...sucker works like magic..
Thanks!! Question about impact: Pneumatic or Electric?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
Jeemee

Oh and I have a 18v Makita Impact Driver. A buddy has it right now. It puts out about 100ft/lbs of torque I believe. Think that will get it done?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
12v electric impact wrench

struts have two bolts...one on top that holds a plate to the car and the second one will b the one holding the spring down...we did not decompress the springs...we held the strut down pointing to a safe direction and used the impact wrench....have fun!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #17
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
i was having hell getting that nut off also... it broke loose fairly easy with some quick taps on the wrench with a rubber mallet. i say taps but really i had to hit it pretty hard. just make sure the wrench is on good.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
Jeemee

Thanks again!

Quote:
12v electric impact wrench
Know the torque rating of it?

Quote:
we did not decompress the springs...we held the strut down pointing to a safe direction and used the impact wrench
That's how I installed my skunk2s on my old prelude lol! I figured I'd go the safe route since I'm alone.

I'd like to thank everyone for the fast responses. I was a little worried about the speed as of my last post of my exhaust (been only a few posts and it's been up over 24 hrs lol)

I will attempt once again tomorrow unless weather says no. If I run into any problems I'm sure everyone will hear from me again. Glad I decided to tackle the hard part first lol