Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Riced-yaris

Drives: 1998 EL, 2000 Civic, 2008 Yari
Weird Squeeking noise after lowering

Ok, so i finished lowering my Yaris at home 2 weeks ago. At low speeds, theres a lil squeek or when i take small turns in parking lots theres a squeek. I have made a few assumptions, I wonder if any1 else would agree:

1) Warped rotors - my friend suggested this, since its only low speeds
2) I installed the bumpstops wrong - I just slipped them onto the shock piston
3) The lil cushions that are on the coils of the Tein springs
4) The new angle of the lower ball joints
5) Possibly the rubber shock tower mounts maybe moving a bit at low speeds and they touch the strut towers

This lil noise is killing me. It bothers me, because my girl drives it and it annoys me b/c I cannot simply go to Toyota and bitch now, or else the warranty will be voided...
Riced-yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Did you put the wrap around the springs? The stuff to help keep them from rubbing together?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Your warranty isn't voided, toyota would have to prove the parts installed caused the problem(which in this case would be pretty easy), but if you went in for a blown motor, they would still have to honor the warranty.

Warped rotors isn't it - you would feel vibration on heavy braking if they were warped.(With that said I can warp the stock rotors in a single trip to crestline(a little mountain town) and back if I'm not careful) I've warped the rotors 3 times on my yaris, and never heard them squeaking, just making lots of other bad noises.

I think the "lil cushions" on the springs are to cut down on noise, not make noise

Ball joints and strut towers doesn't sound right either, as tons of people on here have tein springs, and I haven't heard anything about either of these being a problem

Bump stops deal more with bottoming the springs out, rather than light turns, but if they are installed wrong, it could cause squeaking. Some people just remove the bump stops with aftermarket springs.

My best guess is you have new springs, and they make noise until they settle.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Riced-yaris

Tein S-techs come with this piece of plastic wrapped around the spring. I left them on, cause I assumed that they were there to reduce noise, in the event the spring compresses to a point that the coils touch.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
U need spring wraps the tightly coiled portion is rubbing together probally the rear mine do the same thing. One trick i did was rub brake caliber lub on the coils to they dont squeek and rub now.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
Riced-yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Your warranty isn't voided, toyota would have to prove the parts installed caused the problem(which in this case would be pretty easy), but if you went in for a blown motor, they would still have to honor the warranty.

Warped rotors isn't it - you would feel vibration on heavy braking if they were warped.(With that said I can warp the stock rotors in a single trip to crestline(a little mountain town) and back if I'm not careful) I've warped the rotors 3 times on my yaris, and never heard them squeaking, just making lots of other bad noises.

I think the "lil cushions" on the springs are to cut down on noise, not make noise

Ball joints and strut towers doesn't sound right either, as tons of people on here have tein springs, and I haven't heard anything about either of these being a problem

Bump stops deal more with bottoming the springs out, rather than light turns, but if they are installed wrong, it could cause squeaking. Some people just remove the bump stops with aftermarket springs.

My best guess is you have new springs, and they make noise until they settle.

Your probably right...Its not the first time I have lowered a car. I usualy have more rationale thinking, but like I said, its my girls car...so its driving me nuts trying to figure out this noise.

I keep telling myself at times, that its the springs being new, which has caused the noise.

As for the warranty being voided, Toyota will say that I lowered my car, which made the suspension trouble. I can already imagine it...
Old 05-19-2009, 12:40 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I have the Tein's, no noise. Can't think of what it would be either. And swap them out to the stock, and if there is still noise, bring her into the dealership. They'll never know.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Riced-yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I have the Tein's, no noise. Can't think of what it would be either. And swap them out to the stock, and if there is still noise, bring her into the dealership. They'll never know.
Sighh...did an alignment last week already. So its pretty much a waste, if I put the OEM springs back in. I would need to do 2 alignments now, just to bring it to the dealership to look at...would cost more. I'll have my mechanic take a look at it sometime this week...
Old 05-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
Riced-yaris

Arghhh...I HATE THIS CAR!!! The noise has gotten worse. My mechanic sprayed lithum grease on the shock towers. Noise went away for a a few minutes. He suggested that I take everything apart again and make sure the spring is sitting properly. I think it maybe the stupid plastic sleeve on the spring coils now...