Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #109
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
What we're all trying to get at is that we hope it works, but would hate to see it crack because of how you designed it without any flex in it.

On that note have you considered the use of spring clamped slip joints? Laminar flow but will allow the pipes to move should they need to.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #110
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
it doesn't matter in my case since my roll mount will have been taken care of.
I'm not using the stock dog bone spring bolts flex joints are all irrelevant. The only reason I'm even considering a flex joint is to reduce exhaust noise slightly and help remove thermal growth caused by the catalyst.

My comment about the flex joint is that the bellows cause friction in fluid flow which causes turbulence which reduces flow. For that alone I wouldn't want to run them in my primaries where any slowing of gas flow can have drastic consequences.

I've done the math, run the simulations and calculated the load and stress points. I'm very confident in my design that I don't feel its going to suffer a fatigue failure.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #111
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Flux core welds look like crap but you should be able to weld SS with it as long as you have the correct filler.

There's also quite a bit more that needs to be considered with header design, just welding longer tubes can actually result in power loss if it calls into a dead range where the reverse shockwave happens too quickly or too slowly. There are other things to consider in regards to load and heat and such but that would quite a bit of time to type out.
That's ok. I think at this stage of the game I'll just leave everything be.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #112
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
I'm not using the stock dog bone spring bolts flex joints are all irrelevant. The only reason I'm even considering a flex joint is to reduce exhaust noise slightly and help remove thermal growth caused by the catalyst.

My comment about the flex joint is that the bellows cause friction in fluid flow which causes turbulence which reduces flow. For that alone I wouldn't want to run them in my primaries where any slowing of gas flow can have drastic consequences.

I've done the math, run the simulations and calculated the load and stress points. I'm very confident in my design that I don't feel its going to suffer a fatigue failure.
Dude, you're so worked up you can't even read what I typed. I said SLIP JOINT. Not FLEX JOINT.

This is a Slip Joint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slip_joint.jpg (21.1 KB, 163 views)
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #113
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I skipped over that point as I assumed you thought slip joints are a way to control exhaust flex.
Yes I did consider a slip joint originally as a way to join the 2 sections of pipe but chose against it for various reasons. The biggest reason I chose against it was that slip joints are weak. In my situation there is still load traveling through the second set of pipe even though there is minimal engine movement in the exhaust its still carrying the load from the 30 lbs of exhaust and that load is effectively being distributed through only one of the pipes which doesn't have a ton of bearing area. If I was mounting the second section of pipe lower down I would probably go to a slip joint, it wasn't appropriate in my situation.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #114
tooter
play every day

Would one of these help?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #115
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I don't know maybe. I prefer to stiffen the dogbone rather than add weight somewhere else.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #116
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
I think some of you guys are loosing focus on the big picture... Build a prototype, get it on the car and see if it makes power. If needed issues like a flex joint, ball joint or the engine support can be addressed when a production piece is made.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #117
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ +1.

The TRD Trans mount is stiffer and does more to control engine movement than the NITTO torque damper (which does work, just to a lesser degree).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #118
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
is this going to delete the cat and O2 sensor or just relocate it farther down the path? sorry, I am a latecomer.

I do like the idea of the longtube header. can't wait to see the finished product and dyno sheet.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #119
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

+2^ Jason

Cali do you know the durometer of the rubber used in the TRD mount?

The rules require I run a catalyst so I will have to keep that. I will be modifying my existing race mid-pipe for this exhaust system so it will accept the new collector location, but I will likely have to redesign that as there is an issue with length. The mid pipe is actually one of the bigger issues I'm still battling, there's a problem unique to this engine design that create a really bad off throttle drone.

The rear o2 will be kept since there isn't a reason to remove it, I may just weld a new bung onto the rear of the cat or use an CEL eliminator I'll probably try both and see which one is easier to keep in the long run.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #120
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Cali do you know the durometer of the rubber used in the TRD mount?
I've not been able to find that information. So the answer so far is "Stiffer."

I have the TRD engine mounts + trans mount and my motor doesn't move much at all any more. Nice and loud in the cabin too.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #121
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post

I have the TRD engine mounts + trans mount and my motor doesn't move much at all any more. Nice and loud in the cabin too.
I can definitely vouch for the Energy poly motor+tranny mounts doing exactly the same thing lol
The car is loud and whole car vibrates
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #122
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

well no pictures but everything has been tacked together...the secondaries were way more difficult than I was expecting. All that's left is to burn everything together and my header will be done.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #123
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Well its finally finished. I'll post a video our something later tonight.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #124
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

All I'm going to say is I'm glad i did this the seat of the pants feeling is intense
Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #125
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Can't wait to see it in action!!! First one!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #126
tooter
play every day

Quote:
All I'm going to say is I'm glad i did this the seat of the pants feeling is intense
You took an idea and made it real... that's a respectable accomplishment.

Now how about some pics and videos?