Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Gas is going up again

i'm thinking about all the Yaris and economy and hybrid owners that sold their car for dirt cheap to get a Suv/minivan/etc again
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
stupid move imo. gas is bound to go up again, soon.

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5619925.ece

I'm trying to phase driving out of my lifestyle because it pisses me off to be a slave to gasoline so these blood sucking vultures can make such obscene profits by ripping me off at the pump.3 years ago i was driving 500kms a week,now i'm doing about 50 per week,i've still got 4 bars left from a pre Xmas fill up
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

I'm trying to phase driving out of my lifestyle because it pisses me off to be a slave to gasoline so these blood sucking vultures can make such obscene profits by ripping me off at the pump.3 years ago i was driving 500kms a week,now i'm doing about 50 per week,i've still got 4 bars left from a pre Xmas fill up
that's crazy! don't leave the gas in there too long though, you might not have any car to drive!

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
Quote:

y even bother owning a car then...just sell it and save money that goes into insurance every month. rent a economy car if necessary (i.e. during weekends) since many rental companies will offer u free pickup and dropoff service.

not worth paying $$$ every month on insurance if ur only going to drive it 200km a month...pff

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

Seriously, you'll be glad that you bought some of this stuff and are using it.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
As a professional driver, during the holiday seasons (when I was single), 200km's wasn't uncommon on my personal vehicle.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawesh View Post
i'm thinking about all the Yaris and economy and hybrid owners that sold their car for dirt cheap to get a Suv/minivan/etc again
I've met few of them. Most of the folks I know who bought an economy car still own it and most of the ones who own an SUV or what have you still own that too.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
I still own mine. Fuel prices will rise again. Maybe not this year, but once OPEC cuts production we'll see it at the pump. They've started to cut back already, but it'll take some time before its completed.

My 5.9L Durango gets 12mpg (US) on a good day. Attach my 5,000lb landscaper to it and I'm lucky to see 10mpg...all city driving by the way. I need it for work! I haven't bought my Yaris yet. I ordered one back in Nov, but the dealer screwed up, so I'm waiting a bit longer. I normally buy domestic but this one will be for the wife. The compact domestics are all ex-korean cars that were designed back in the late 90s for crap sakes! The dealer wanted me to sign for the hatchback last fall when it came in, meanwhile I had ordered a sedan!

I see the Yaris, or any compact for that matter, as a second car for errands as it can't carry much, back seat room is tight even for adolescents and I've always been one to purchase vehicles with some balls, irregardless of mileage. Eventually a Yaris will replace my '99 Taurus that has treated me quite well over the years as I don't really need a two ton car with a 3.0L V6 now that I have a landscape business on the side and use my truck when I need/want to carry things that can't fit into the car. I wouldn't buy a hybrid, they're too overrated for the times as a non-hybrid vehicle of the same model will cost less down the road in fuel and in maintenance.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Gas is going down here. Was at $1.77 last week and it is now down to $1.57.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #11
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Gas is gradually creeping up. Yesterday in SE NY it was 2.09 $
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
We are paying $2.22 a gallon as of this morning.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Down to 1.63 here in Indy today.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
We are paying $2.22 a gallon as of this morning.

thats gotta suck
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #15
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Wow, Big Dave, your low gas price is outstanding.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Gas creeping up here, too. $2.31 this morning, across the street. Was about $2.19 when I got the Yaris a couple of weeks ago.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #17
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360cubes View Post
I still own mine. Fuel prices will rise again. Maybe not this year, but once OPEC cuts production we'll see it at the pump. They've started to cut back already, but it'll take some time before its completed.
I agree!

Quote:
I see the Yaris, or any compact for that matter, as a second car for errands as it can't carry much, back seat room is tight even for adolescents and I've always been one to purchase vehicles with some balls, irregardless of mileage. Eventually a Yaris will replace my '99 Taurus that has treated me quite well over the years as I don't really need a two ton car with a 3.0L V6 now that I have a landscape business on the side and use my truck when I need/want to carry things that can't fit into the car. I wouldn't buy a hybrid, they're too overrated for the times as a non-hybrid vehicle of the same model will cost less down the road in fuel and in maintenance.
Then the Yaris is ideal for you, since you'll have both a truck for large stuff and a little grocery-getter car for small errands.

That's why I got the Yaris, too, to run errands and stuff. I use do drive on average 100 miles a day but I've changed my lifestyle and since I am close to the city now, I rely much more on public transportation than I did before, so the Yaris is pretty much just for running errands and the occasional trip out of town.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #18
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmoon87 View Post
y even bother owning a car then...just sell it and save money that goes into insurance every month. rent a economy car if necessary (i.e. during weekends) since many rental companies will offer u free pickup and dropoff service.

not worth paying $$$ every month on insurance if ur only going to drive it 200km a month...pff

You know, it's not always cheap to rent cars. I looked into it. We have Zipcars and City Cars around here, as well as rental services like Hertz, Enterprise, etc. but they're not cheap at all around here.

I think owning a good entry-level, reputable car like the Toyota Yaris and using it conservatively is a pretty good choice, too.