Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
DIY: Hatch Popper using Scion IQ Hatch Handle (2006-2011 Liftback)

IQ Handle Painted.jpg

I have been meaning to add a hatch popping mechanism to my Yaris since the day I installed my remote starter (which has a trunk popper output) the weekend after I purchased the car in October 2008. With this DIY, I have finally gotten around to it...

A huge thank you is owed to enviri on this one. He has been talking to me about wanting to implement the JDM Vitz electronic push button hatch handle for over 2 years now. The problem was that the handles are over $200 (if you can even track one down from overseas).

Recently he had the opportunity to kick the tires on an IQ and immediately noticed that it had a similar electronic hatch handle. He inquired on the
price and found out that they are under $100 (because they are purely a switch, whereas the JDM vitz ones have the receiver for the smart key built in). So, he ordered one and brought it to me to experiment with.

I pulled apart my hatch and found that the IQ hatch handle was not just similar, but rather fit the recess in our hatch perfectly. I experimented with the switch, an aftermarket door actuator, and some logic for disabling it when the doors are locked and PMed him to order another switch, since I decided to steal the one that he brought by.

The Scion IQ switch (69209-74010-xx) comes in 10 colors (A0=070, B0=1F7, B1=1G3, C0=209, D0=3P0, E0=4T3, E1=4R8, J0=8R3, J1=8T7 and K0=9AH) only a couple of which match Yaris colors, so I had to paint mine (with blazing blue 8T0 from automotivetouchup.com).

Here's a video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiM2vZrdA4o

And, here's my DIY on how to do it:
2006-2011 Yaris Hatch Popper DIY.pdf

I developed the little interface module in the DIY to handle the logic for disabling the hatch handle switch when the doors are locked. One may ask "why can't I just use a relay for that?", and the answer is that the lock/unlock signal is not a constant signal, but rather just a pulsed signal that reverses polarity. So, a bit more than just relay was required.

If anyone is interested, I can make them a module for $25 shipped to the US or Canada or can supply the complete kit (minus the IQ switch, which can be ordered from your local dealer or an online OEM parts source) for $100 shipped.

As a side note, in the video you will notice that my hatch pops completely open when I hit my remote starter's trunk pop switch. Your mileage may vary on that one, as the door thrusters just open the hatch a couple of inches, and the rest of the opening is up to the gas struts. So, if your struts are in good shape your hatch will probably pop all of the way open (at least on non-cold days), but if they are tired, or the temperature is low they will most likely not finish the job.

Tags
actuator, hatch, popper