Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
jackrabbitnomore

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 Tires

I just replaced the stock Potenzas that came on my 2007 S Sedan, 5speed. I only got 32k out of the tires, could have maybe gotten another 4-5k but was getting uncomfortable with bad rainy conditions in C. Florida lately. They were the crappiest tires ever. Anyway after searching the interwebs for LRR tires, I discovered this new tire from Bridgestone, the Ecopia EP100. They are designed as fuel efficient with the lowest RR of any tire made to date. (Less than .05 RRC)

I've only driven them about 200 miles, and won't have reliable FE numbers for a couple of weeks. But I can tell you already that they are going to make a huge difference. I can glide for a long time, with a lot less decay in speed from 55-60. Also I can tell my RPMs at different speeds are noticeably lower.

Oh, I should also say that I also went up one size from stock (185-60R15) to 195-65R15. They just barely fit, with about 1.5 inches from the fender wells outside, but there are no problems with rubbing. The increased height and overall size give the car a much beefier look, and the ride and handling are greatly improved, especially in wet, windy conditions and higher speed (75+)

I will update this post when I have some numbers. I have been averaging 37 overall, with no real effort and driving pretty much like a maniac. I know I can now break 40mpg with just a little effort.
jackrabbitnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Check your speed...

...when your speedo reads 70mph, you're actually travelling at 73.65 mph.
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html
Old 05-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #3
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
As your tires break-in, your mileage should go up some. It can take a few thousand miles for the tires to break-in. You might want to check your odometer vs a long highway section that is marked in miles. It will very likely show that you are under recording miles on the odometer, and that you need to adjust for the larger tires. I believe you made a good move in the tires. I am driving on Prius Tires, and they are great for mileage.
Good Luck!

Last edited by roadrunner; 05-29-2009 at 08:01 PM.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Cosworth

Drives: S sedan
Wow, you went up 2 sizes!!! 185/60/15 --> 195/65/15! I was looking at the tirerack site and it doesn't seem like they have 195/60/15. :(

Could you comment more on your experience with the tires as time goes by? Especially on stability at highway speed & wet traction? Thanks!

I will probably go with 185/65/15 to minimize change in diameter, if I go w/ Ecopia.
Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
jackrabbitnomore

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Bridgestone Ecopia EP 100

So, far I couldn't be happier. They ride like a champ, and the extra height helps clear curbs and parking bumpers, whereas I used to scrape them occasionally. The car handles a lot better - cornering, braking, and more stable feeling at higher speeds.

Gas mileage on my first tank was 35.5 mpg. I was averaging 37, but haven't kept track too well since prices were down. Also, I haven't really tried too many HM techniques. I am starting to get back into DFCO, and cycling A/C off when I can. I haven't done ICE off in quite a while. Probably this summer if prices keep climbing, I will be doing all of the above.
jackrabbitnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
You realize anything that may have been saved with rolling resistance, has likely been regained in all that extra un-sprung weight, right?
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
You realize anything that may have been saved with rolling resistance, has likely been regained in all that extra un-sprung weight, right?
+1.

If you want FE you get a narrower, not wider tire.

Of course, with you drive at speeds 75+ mph a wider tire would be more stable, but you're never going to get great FE at speeds consistently over 60 mph.

That being said, if you like your new tires that's all that matters.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
They have these tires in the stock size now for the Yaris Liftback from TireRack. They're summer LRR tires and placed second in the test TireRack conducted for fuel efficiency. Other factors were rated as well. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=121

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
interesting stuff....the aveo needs new all season tires....not as many options in 14" as id have hoped from that test...! only 1 tire in the top 3 for fuel efficiency has a 14" size...and at that theres only ONE size! 175-65-14
Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
you changed tires sizes ? throw all your comparison on MPG out the window
you changed the game entirely.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
well, he'll have to calculate mileage with the change in the odometer readings...
Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. The only way to get a REAL LIFE comparo in MPG from the "better RR" would be to have purchased the same size tires that you had before.
Yes you can maybe still compare, but lots of math will be involved.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:30 AM   #13
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Wish they had them in 185/60/15 (assuming they wear down slower than the Potenza's). I could use a normal MPG again as a DD once I get R-comps for the track

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridgestone, mpg, oversize tires, rolling resistance, tires