Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Valvoline Conventional $11.88/5L Walmart Canada

Just a heads-up for the Canadian DIY oil change folks. I picked up two 5W20. At my 'local' Walmart, they also had lots of 5W30 and 10W30. This is one of the best prices for a brand name conventional I've seen in Canada in a while. These have the new "easy pour" spout to boot.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Great deal!
Old 12-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Is there counterfeit oil yet? Concerns me w/ Mobil 1. (Why did their synthetic trans oil have a slight amount of that rank smell of conventional trans oils?)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Is there counterfeit oil yet? Concerns me w/ Mobil 1. (Why did their synthetic trans oil have a slight amount of that rank smell of conventional trans oils?)
Counterfeit oil? As in people packaging an inferior product in brand name bottles? Not sure, but the Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) tests oil samples and 'blacklist' certain producers whose products are inadequate. I think if you buy from a reputable store, then there's probably little chance of getting a 'fake' oil in a brand name bottle. I once opened a bottle of Castrol GTX and it smelled like turpentine. The oil looked good and there was no sediment. I guess it just depends on the formulation.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 12-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I scored 10 jugs of this oil at my local wally world for $6.88 each a few months ago. Clearly a pricing error and that's why I got 10 jugs. Start the car!!!! Lol
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I scored 10 jugs of this oil at my local wally world for $6.88 each a few months ago. Clearly a pricing error and that's why I got 10 jugs. Start the car!!!! Lol
Love those pricing errors - haha. I got several jugs of Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic for $10.00 each from Walmart. When I arrived to pick them up they said it was an online pricing error and they had none left . I found the section and there were dozens of bottles, but @ ~ $40.00/ea. The store manager sold me 4 at $10.00 each as I told her I had driven quite a distance.

Also once bought a brand new Dorman trans pan with drain plug for my older Dodge Grand Caravan for $5.00, shipping included on Amazon. Price was up to over $50.00 shortly thereafter.

These things do happen!

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-28-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

The only reason you were honoured the price is cause where you live. I was born in NB. Great people. I'd be told to damn bad here in Toronto.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
The only reason you were honoured the price is cause where you live. I was born in NB. Great people. I'd be told to damn bad here in Toronto.
Maybe so. Maritimers can be a good lot. Funny, you were born in NB and moved to Toronto. I was born in Toronto and moved to NB - at the ripe age of 1.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Hahaha same here. Was only a year old when mom left the homeland. If you're 36 years old too thatd be freaky
Old 12-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Hahaha same here. Was only a year old when mom left the homeland. If you're 36 years old too thatd be freaky
Thirty six passed a long time ago, my friend. LOL. Add 18 to that. Haha. My two kids - 8 and 10 - routinely tell me that I'm over "half of a century old". Little ingrates.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-28-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #11
Jboss

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Thirty six passed a long time ago, my friend. LOL. Add 18 to that. Haha. My two kids - 8 and 10 - routinely tell me that I'm over "half of a century old". Little ingrates.
My Yaris recommends 5W30. Is it different for your Yaris or is your preference just 5W20?

Also looking at the oil capacity on my 08 Yaris Sedan on a site. It says 3.7L and 0.3L for filter.. Which is a total of 4L, is that the max capacity for the car or is that the recommend amount i use for every oil change?

I know some people fill the oil until the dipstick is 2/3 to the second hole. Not sure what the proper method is..

First time DIY oil change, sorry.
Jboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #12
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
I use long oil change intervals in my other cars so I use synthetic, and every time Walmart has it on for $25 I stock up.
I guess I should get some of that conventional for the Echo
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #13
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboss View Post
My Yaris recommends 5W30. Is it different for your Yaris or is your preference just 5W20?

Also looking at the oil capacity on my 08 Yaris Sedan on a site. It says 3.7L and 0.3L for filter.. Which is a total of 4L, is that the max capacity for the car or is that the recommend amount i use for every oil change?

I know some people fill the oil until the dipstick is 2/3 to the second hole. Not sure what the proper method is..

First time DIY oil change, sorry.
Good question about my choice to use xW20. I've done a lot of reading on thinner oils and their benefits. That said, I do also buy 5W30 and will run that in my Yaris too. My understanding is that the xW20 oils are semi-synthetic, to meet that spec, and that many conventional xw30 oils shear down to close to a 20 weight. Regardless, I feel confident that a 20 weight is more than enough protection. Not long ago, I was at a Toyota dealership and noticed xW16 oils on their shelves. I asked if that would be good in my Yaris and the counter guy said, "Absolutely".

I always fill my new oil filter before installing it on the car. I then just add a little less than 3/4 of what's left in the jug (5L) jug and adjust by checking the dipstick. You'll want to run the car for 10 - 15 seconds after you've added your oil. Let it sit for a while to let the oil make its way back to the pan before your level check. I also check it later the same day. Who am I kidding, I check mine every time I fuel up too - I wee bit OCD. Haha. I've never heard people suggest filling 2/3 of the way up the stick. I always fill to the top (second hole).

An interesting note: Toyota considers max oil consumption to be 1L/1000km. I never have to add any makeup oil between changes on either Yaris or my van.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 01-02-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
I use long oil change intervals in my other cars so I use synthetic, and every time Walmart has it on for $25 I stock up.
I guess I should get some of that conventional for the Echo
I used to buy synthetic all the time. One of my favs is the SuperTech Full Synthetic from Walmart USA (cross border shopping) or Pennzoil Platinum when on deep discount. Now I just buy whatever conventional is on sale and with the exchange rates, Canada now has better offerings. I was always a 5000 OCI guy, but now I run about 7K - 8K intervals. I test my oil intermittently with my LubriCheck device and usually around 7K, even though it suggests there's life left in the oil, I change it out.

You say you run longer intervals? How long if you don't mind?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #15
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
I go by the oil life indicator.
2011 Colorado I get almost exactly 16k (KM) and the Wife's Sonic gets to about 12k but it's turbocharged. I've been doing ii about 25 years now with Synthetic. Before the monitor systems I used to change it once a year with a filter and top up at 6 months.
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #16
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
I go by the oil life indicator.
2011 Colorado I get almost exactly 16k (KM) and the Wife's Sonic gets to about 12k but it's turbocharged. I've been doing ii about 25 years now with Synthetic. Before the monitor systems I used to change it once a year with a filter and top up at 6 months.
Thanks. Yeah, I probably waste some oil.

I bet that Sonic is quite zippy.