Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Deep scratch removal

I have a deep scratch down to the ecoat. Man this paint is thin. I plan on using buffing compond with a power buffer to smooth the edges, then use one of the Autozone paint brushes to fill in the scratch. Then buff with compound, then swirl remover. Sound like a plan?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
try scratch x, i got a few out ..the first day.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
the best thing to do I found is wet sand the area with 600 grit aprox 6" on either side of the scratch...
Then go buy a color match paint pen and cheap $20 air brush... dump some of the paint into the air brush, thin it slightly then spray the scratch. be careful and practice first with the air brush because you just spray the scratch not the area around it... After a few coats do the same thing with clear but spray aprox 3" wide area over the scratch.
Then wet sand everything with 2500 after it dries to smoothen out any scratches left from the 600 grit, then polish to a mirror shine.

if you don't want to use an air brush , use a paint pen to fill the scratch, then wet sand just the repaired scratch to blen it with the surrounding paint, then polish it...
Old 05-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
regal

this is too deep without addimg some paint amd I'm, too cheap to buy a pint from the PPG jobber.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
the best thing to do I found is wet sand the area with 600 grit aprox 6" on either side of the scratch...
Then go buy a color match paint pen and cheap $20 air brush... dump some of the paint into the air brush, thin it slightly then spray the scratch. be careful and practice first with the air brush because you just spray the scratch not the area around it... After a few coats do the same thing with clear but spray aprox 3" wide area over the scratch.
Then wet sand everything with 2500 after it dries to smoothen out any scratches left from the 600 grit, then polish to a mirror shine.

if you don't want to use an air brush , use a paint pen to fill the scratch, then wet sand just the repaired scratch to blen it with the surrounding paint, then polish it...

This ithe right way to repair a scractch just wasn't dsure if autzone paint is buffable. Everytime I walk into the PPG jobbber it costes me $150,
Old 05-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
As long as the paint has fully cured, lightly wet sand it with 2500 and it will buff out just fine
Old 06-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
regal

I ended up going PPG it was exactly $150. They have this new 2k clear in an aresol can, looks convenient as hell and saves a lot of dough on a small job like this yet has the same durability as factory. Even bought some 2K glaze to get smooth as possible, going to be a pro job. My porter buffer just arrived.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I find the paint pen from the dealer does a good job on scratches,not perfect but you have to get very close to see that a scratch was there, $10
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
regal

Yes but its not a "project" and you don't get to revisist your old talents:) It'll wear off in a few years too. This 2K clear will last a long time.