Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
robkay

Drives: Hatch
2007 hatchback making a weird whirring sound

Last Friday my wife came back from a 45 minute drive and told me that car was making a "noise." I drove it for a few minutes and it was definitely making a new noise. As soon as you start it you can hear this sound, not an raspy grind or anything, just sort of a steady whirr in the front.

During my test drive it was present at all times, all gears (automatic) all speeds--forward, reverse, park/stopped. All the time. The car seems to run fine, shifts through all the gears OK. The sound is almost a gear-like sound, but not quite. Tried A/C on and off, no change.

So, the next day I took the car out around town and the sound was gone. Gone until yesterday (Monday) when my wife again came back from her 45 minute drive. I made a couple short drives with the car today and the sound is still there. Not 100% certain, but I "think" the sound is coming from the end of the engine where the belts are. Fluids, including tranny, are all up where they should be.

I'm getting ready to off on a round trip of about an hour and a half drive each way, so I'm sure hoping it goes away again.

Mileage is 82,000. Haven't had to do a thing to it.

Anyhoo--anybody have a thought?

THX
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Check the accessory drive belt. Also look for red coolant stains on the bottom side of the hood on the right hand side. Possibly the water pump is going.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Could also be a failed water pump bearing. Which doesn't necessarily show leaking signs.

Best is to find where exactly the sound is coming from. I suspect the water pump.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
robkay

Thanks for the suggestions! Yesterday I made an 80 mile drive and the car made the noise the whole way. It then sat for about 4 hours. Upon hitting the starter for my return trip you could here the sound start to spin up for a second or two, then it went away. It was not heard again the entire 80 mile trip home. Completely silent. Weird.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Does the sounds change when you turn the A/C on?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
robkay

I don't believe so. I thought it might be a tensioner or something. Have tried AC on and off, but it doesn't seem to make a difference as to whether the sound is present or not. As far as pitch, I will have to listen closely to that.

My wife commented that she thought the pitch changes as the car shifts through the gears, but I have not noticed that myself. It's like the sound is either there, or it is not.

Oil, ATF, and coolant all look good. No drips on the floor, no spatter under the hood.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Rad fan kicking in when it doesn't necessarily need to be on?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
robkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Rad fan kicking in when it doesn't necessarily need to be on?
Nah, it's not a "normal" sound in any way. It does not kick in and out at all. Either there or not. Very noticeable and troubling. Thanks, though!

I will say this, though maybe unrelated. For some period of time--like a couple years or more, After backing out of the driveway, then starting forward you can hear this sound which I would characterize as kind of a hydraulic "breath" sound. I say breath because it isn't really a hiss like from an air hose, more like sort of an exhale sound. Probably unrelated I suppose.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkay View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Yesterday I made an 80 mile drive and the car made the noise the whole way. It then sat for about 4 hours. Upon hitting the starter for my return trip you could here the sound start to spin up for a second or two, then it went away. It was not heard again the entire 80 mile trip home. Completely silent. Weird.

When my water pump bearing failed, it would only do it when the water was cold. Once the water reached operating temps, it was silent.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
robkay

Back with an update on the problem. Last Fall I took it to a shop to have it looked at. Based on the perceived location of the sound we thought it was probably the water pump--which I was going to have replaced anyway. Well, a new OEM pump had no effect on the sound.

It is getting a little louder and sounding more of a gear-like whine to me. I'm thinking it's the tranny. Weird thing is, though--it still comes and goes! Sometimes you don't hear it at all. When it comes it might be there all the time...for days. Then it goes away and you don't hear it for days. I think it starts up when the car is warmer, though. Will probably have to run it in to a dealer one of these day, although I hate to go to dealers.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
IllusionX

You would need to locate the noise. Garages have listening devices for that.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #12
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Did you remove the drive belt and run the engine to see if the noise goes away? If it does that leaves the alternator.

My sons alternator bearings went on his ECHO. They made noise for like 50k miles. We never fixed it.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #13
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
If you want to zero in on where noise might be coming from, try finding a long screwdriver. Place the metal end on what you want to listen to, and place the handle against your ear. Be careful near moving parts, obviously.

Voila! Poor man's stethoscope.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
loretnoble
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Mine is making the same noise. I have no idea what it is. I have a 2007 with 150,000 miles on it. Seems to be coming from the belt area. Thought of just changing out the belt for the heck of it. I don't want to go to the dealer either but I'm getting worried. I don't want anything to break down in mid drive. Car drives perfect otherwise. Did you every find out what it was?
loretnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:19 PM   #15
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Did anyone ever find out what their noise was?

Mine recently started to make the same noise and I can't figure out what it is, nor can the garage. Alternator belt was replaced with no change in the sound.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
RutherfordmanX

Drives: 2017 Yaris Hatchback
There is a you tube out there for Yaris alternator noise. As soon as I watched it and heard it I knew that was my problem. Replaced alternator and it fixed it. I drove for at least two years with the noise so it will go awhile. The screwdriver trick worked to on figuring it out.
RutherfordmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #17
robkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Did you remove the drive belt and run the engine to see if the noise goes away? If it does that leaves the alternator.

My sons alternator bearings went on his ECHO. They made noise for like 50k miles. We never fixed it.
Hey everybody. Just a follow-up on this. I had taken the car into a shop that specialized in Asian vehicles. They did exactly what bronsin suggested above and the sound seemed to go away. They thought it sounded more like the water pump than the alternator. I kind of agreed, so we went ahead and replaced the pump. That didn't fix it. I didn't mind, though, as I wanted to get the pump replaced anyway.

Drove the care several more months and the sound would come and go. Then, this Fall, it got a lot worse. Took it back in to the shop and the owner was in a jackass mood and I decided I didn't need that. I found a different shop out of town (Ann Arbor, MI) that had really good reviews on Yelp. The guys there are great and were certain it was the alternator. They were right. There is no longer any hint of the sound.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
RutherfordmanX

Drives: 2017 Yaris Hatchback
I installed a NAPA alternator. From time to time my battery light will come on. There are some reads on here about that with after market alternators. It always goes off the next time I crank up and does not affect performance. If you get a factory alternator then I think you won't get the light but they are much more expensive. Just thought I would mention this in case it happens. My 2008 is past 325,000 miles now:)
RutherfordmanX is offline   Reply With Quote