Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
Warranty Information for US Yaris Owners

Hey guys I figured I would make a thread for this because I am sure I'm not the only person curious to see how long my warranty is or what the terms are.

I just had a conversation with a man from the service department at my dealership (so don't take it as COMPLETE fact) but he explained a few rules to me.

First thing's first
I pulled this from the yahoo auto site:
http://autos.yahoo.com/2009_toyota_y...d_at-warranty/

Warranty
Basic
36,000 miles / 36 months
New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Covers repair/replacement due to defect in materials/workmanship.
Powertrain
60,000 miles / 60 months

Powertrain Warranty. Covers repair or replacement of engine, transmission, and front and rear wheel drives.
Paint
N/A
Rust
Unlimited miles / 60 months
Corrosion Perforation Warranty. Paint defects are covered under Comprehensive Warranty. Normal paint aging conditions are not covered.
Tires
N/A
Wheel Alignment
N/A
Seat Upholstery
N/A
Sound System
N/A
AC / Refrigerant
N/A
Safety Restraint
N/A
Original Battery
N/A
Replacement Parts
N/A
Wear Items
N/A
Noise Emissions
N/A
Adjustments
36,000 miles / 36 months
Covers service adjustments. Wheel balancing and wheel alignments are limited to one repair during first 12 months/20,000 miles. Five complimentary maintenance services for the Prius, to be performed at the first five 6 months/7,500 miles maintenance intervals following recommended driving conditions.
Service Adjustments
Unlimited miles / Lifetime
Various Vehicle Service Agreements provide extended protection.
Maintenance
N/A
Courtesy Transportation
N/A
Towing
Unlimited miles / Lifetime
Not available
Transferability
Fully transferable to subsequent owners at no cost for the remainder of warranty.
Areas Of Coverage
N/A
Extended Warranty
N/A
Insurance
N/A

Now for the important part. This is how the warranty works as explained to me in terms of modification.

You are allowed to modify the car BUT if a problem arises, the warranty is void if the part you installed directly affected the problem.

IE:
If you install an aftermarket exhaust and your catalytic converter goes bad, your warranty is void.

However, if you install an exhaust and your shocks blow out, warranty isn't voided.

Also, if you encounter a problem, it seems to be perfectly ok to put your stock stuff back on. Just don't say you had aftermarket stuff on your car when you take it in.

The Bottomline is: If you are concerned about your warranty, make sure all of your mods are reversible.

P.S.- Certain TRD parts will void warranty such as the cold air intake.

Hope this was helpful to certain people. I don't want to say that this is completely accurate, I could have been misinformed. But if someone can confirm this, it would be useful to new Yaris owners who want to mod!

Cheers!
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
LEGATO``

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
this is very good info for me

so lets say if i were to buy a set of lowering springs i.e tanabe nf210's, and install them, this in its own self would not void my warranty correct?

it will only void it if i install them, and something goes wrong with lets say my wheel alignment?
Old 09-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

from my understanding, you are right

so lets say you install full race suspension and brakes, and your exhaust has a leak (not caused by hitting the ground or anything). your warranty is still good
Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
LEGATO``

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
oh okay, thanks for the info

i still got a year left for my warranty and that's the reason why i've been a little hesitant on buying actual products that would take out stock components
Old 09-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

dont take my word for it but generally on cars, especially japanese ones, suspension doesnt fail

just make sure its installed correctly and youre all set!

Tags
aftermarket, void, warranty