Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #73
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Here I find weather changes cause accidents. Last spring on the first nice sunny warm day I saw 7 accidents on my way home. Every time we go from a week of one kind of condition to different one it's chaos on the roads.
Same thing here in the Houston area when going from dry to wet. Here it's like Absolutely Red 12 mentions it is in LA (re rain after dry) but it makes much less sense here....It rains more here than it does in LA, so you'd think people would be more adept at driving in it...fat chance.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #74
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
But you have to (with every carrier I have ever had) bring the liability limit of the underlying policy up to a certain limit (the lowest I have ever seen is 300k and that was rare) before you can buy an umbrella policy and have it kick in.....so it wouldn't be 200.00 it would be 'his 200.00' (which might end up being a bit more or less than 'your 200.00') plus the cost to bring the limit up from the legal minimum he has now to the 'able to buy an umbrella policy minimum'.
Correct, I have $500,000, I don't want to sell any of my houses for someone's bullshit whiplash claim.

More lawyers than accidents in LA!!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #75
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I thought I was a good driver too
...and life teaches us the difference between thinking and being.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #76
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
After reading all theses posts now that I paid my car off it looks like its time to drop to liability insurance.
That's one reason I always buy new vehicles for cash. All the money I save on financing costs and insurance over the life of one vehicle pays for the next new one.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #77
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
That's one reason I always buy new vehicles for cash. All the money I save on financing costs and insurance over the life of one vehicle pays for the next new one.
Me too re buying new vehicles and paying cash to have zero finance charge and to avoid the comp and collision requirement that having a car note requires. I also buy relatively inexpensive cars (so I won't moan and groan as much if I have to write a check for a new car re getting in an accident that is my fault.....and I haven't had to since adopting this policy for myself long ago). I know this saves me quite a bit. That would be great if it saved enough to pay for the next car. I've never stopped to calculate how much it is saving me long term.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #78
MyWhiteYaris

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris 3dr
I live in MN, have clean driving record and I pay 164.00 a month for full coverage on my 2011 Yaris. it sucks.
MyWhiteYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #79
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Me too re buying new vehicles and paying cash to have zero finance charge and to avoid the comp and collision requirement that having a car note requires. I also buy relatively inexpensive cars (so I won't moan and groan as much if I have to write a check for a new car re getting in an accident that is my fault.....and I haven't had to since adopting this policy for myself long ago). I know this saves me quite a bit. That would be great if it saved enough to pay for the next car. I've never stopped to calculate how much it is saving me long term.
It would depend on how big the loan you compare it to. Several on yw have 5 year loans with significant interest. But even with that, it is mathematically not possible to save enough for another car.Even at 10% over 4 years, it adds $3000. Even at 10% over 5 years, the total paid would be a little over $19 grand. Now if you look at what some dumb people do, and get upside down on loans and trade 2 year old cars with 5 year loans on them, then you can truly get screwed.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #80
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Now if you look at what some dumb people do, and get upside down on loans and trade 2 year old cars with 5 year loans on them, then you can truly get screwed.
Yeah, uninformed () people fall into the distraction of being 'sold the payment' and don't look at the total cost. Kind of like tactics that politicians often use.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #81
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I once walked out of a car dealership cause they wanted to charge me like 9% interest annually over a 8 year period. Doing the math in my head .. I said to myself "this is nuts" and I walked out. I can still see the look of shock on the ladies face.

I am happy that I paid cash for my Yaris.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote