Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Clean Engine Compartment

My friend just bought his first car: A 2005 Hyundai Elantra. So I went over to his house to congratulate him, looked at the car, checked out the inside, and all. Everything looked pretty good...except when I popped the hood. Holy Smokes! Rust everywhere! And lots of dirt too. How can this happen in such a short time? Can this happen to the Yaris too? I do notice a little bit of dust and stuff building inside my compartment. Now, I've seen youtube videos of people spraying cleaning stuff inside thier engine, and then washing it out using thier garden hose! Is this safe for my engine? Would that prevent rust from forming down the road?
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
They actually make a spray can of stuff that is engine bay cleaner. You pretty much use it and soak the whole engine bay with it and let it sit a little bit. Then you use a hose and rinse it off with slight water pressure, not blasting the thing. Then it comes out looking like a top. I can't recall the name of the stuff but I'll be sure to post it up if I recall it.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
captainm27

So Spraying water on the whole engine won't damage it in anyway? Like the moving parts and gears and all? Just like that?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm27 View Post
So Spraying water on the whole engine won't damage it in anyway? Like the moving parts and gears and all? Just like that?
i do it all the time and I do because I know (worked at a professional car wash place for a while before) as long as you dont blast the engine bay with way too high pressure. I usually use something like garden hose pressure.

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Check the DIY section and use the search function.
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
detroiter

The hose should be fine to rinse it off. Just DO NOT use the power washer at a car wash. I made that mistake a long time ago and I learned from it. Soon as I fired up the Del Sol and pulled out, it started bogging and missing severely. Guess from all the pressure from the washer, it got water into the spark plug chamber and fouled out the plugs something fierce. It took a few days to eventually get back to running 100%, me having to pull the plug wires when I wasn't driving it so it could dry out and also replacing the plugs.

So yes, garden hose will be ok..power washer will NOT be ok.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
My brother is selling his 93 camry. The block and basically every piece of metal had oil, rust, dirt, you name it covering it. I had a wire brush and a can of oven cleaner. 10 minutes later and a spray with the garden hose it looked like new.

Unless you have a CAI spraying it off with the hose should be fine, just don't blast the alternator, spark plug boots, or air filter
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
detroiter

Oui...
Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
fuse box is ok?
splashing it with water won't really do anything to it, unless your coming from underneath it.. I didn't really feel like listing every part that shouldn't get wet, just the main ones..
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
captainm27

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleyaris View Post
Check the DIY section and use the search function.
I took your advice, Uncle Yaris, and found this thread.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4729

Ahh, I feel better now knowing that I can safely spray my engine bay with the hose. Will be trying this real soon! Hopefully this rainy weather will clear soon.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
detroiter

Just to let you know as well if you go that route, it might smell mildly for a day or two. It's nothing to worry about. It's just the cleaning products and the heat from the engine bay mixing together.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm27 View Post
I took your advice, Uncle Yaris, and found this thread.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4729

Ahh, I feel better now knowing that I can safely spray my engine bay with the hose. Will be trying this real soon! Hopefully this rainy weather will clear soon.
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
I have used Black Magic Engine Shine on mine http://www.blackmagicshine.com/produ...1-engine-shine

It works really well.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
captainm27

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Just to let you know as well if you go that route, it might smell mildly for a day or two. It's nothing to worry about. It's just the cleaning products and the heat from the engine bay mixing together.
Oh yes, nothing like the smell of mildew while cruising around!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
captainm27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktiger60 View Post
I have used Black Magic Engine Shine on mine http://www.blackmagicshine.com/produ...1-engine-shine

It works really well.
That black magic product says to use on a warm engine. Assuming your engine has been sitting all night, how long would you leave it on to assume "warm"? Like, as soon as the COOL light turns off? Or 10 minutes idleing?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
blktiger60

Ten minutes might be more than long enough. I know my heater blows warm air long before the cool engine light goes off and that takes maybe 5 minutes.

I'd say try five minutes and then open the hood and check by feeling with your hand - use the "hot stove" technique of barely touching it for a millisecond.

It depends on the outside ambient temp. On a hot day (90+) sitting in the direct sunlight a mere 2 or 3 minutes might be plenty.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #17
blktiger60

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I would hazzard a guess that any engine compartment cleaner will have a residual "chemical smell" for a bit after using it.
When I use Black Magic - if I remember right - it was not noticable the next day. Still, it's not a terrible smell and my "spiced patchuli" Little Tree over powers it fairly quickly.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #18
detroiter

^^ that's what I was going to reply. To the poster, it's not mildew that your smelling but it's the left over residual surface from the cleaning product. Some are stronger then others but don't worry about it, it will go away :)