Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
MidnaFan

Drives: Focus
Eyeing a new 2014 SE hatchback...

I'm going to need a new car within a year and I've been looking at Yarises online and on Kelley Blue Book; I've compared the Yaris I want with Corollas, Priuses, and any other below-$20,000 car out there and I like the look and hatchback-yness of the Yaris SE. I want something that's gonna last ten years without much, or any, unexpected maintenance troubles or surprises; that's also the reason I'm wanting the SE (automatic), if I'm going to have it for a decade I want it to be something I'm happy with.
So here is where you fine people come in, is the Yaris reliable? Does it develop some annoying idiosyncrasy after a few years? As someone who is 6'2" is it going to be smaller inside than my Ford Focus?
Everything so far from what I can tell online looks good, so y'all tell me what's bad.

MidnaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnaFan View Post
I'm going to need a new car within a year and I've been looking at Yarises online and on Kelley Blue Book; I've compared the Yaris I want with Corollas, Priuses, and any other below-$20,000 car out there and I like the look and hatchback-yness of the Yaris SE. I want something that's gonna last ten years without much, or any, unexpected maintenance troubles or surprises; that's also the reason I'm wanting the SE (automatic), if I'm going to have it for a decade I want it to be something I'm happy with.
So here is where you fine people come in, is the Yaris reliable? Does it develop some annoying idiosyncrasy after a few years? As someone who is 6'2" is it going to be smaller inside than my Ford Focus?
Everything so far from what I can tell online looks good, so y'all tell me what's bad.

I've sat in examples of several trim levels within the Focus line at car shows, but I don't remember how any of them felt re roominess. I'm a bit over 6'3", and I have plenty of room in my Yaris.

I just passed the 7 1/2 year mark re ownership earlier this month. I bought the car with 120 miles on it (driven between 2 dealerships owned (at the time) by the same family). I'm closing in on 280,000 miles at this point. The only repairs (other than regular maintenance --tires/air filter/battery/oil and filter/spark plugs/bulbs etc.) I've had to do are the front wheel bearings at 110k and the alternator at 159k. I've probably been too casual re maintenance. I've only done 19 oil/filter changes and 4 air filter changes. I've replaced the headlight bulbs and the rear plate bulbs twice each (most expensive bulb has been about 12 bucks, and about half the time my local dealer has installed the bulb for free...I've probably spent under $50 total on labor for those 6 changes).

The heat here takes quite a toll on batteries, but the OEM battery lasted 2 yrs 11 months and 138k miles. I replaced it with a super cheap battery that lasted 3 years and almost 90k miles. The next super cheap battery...not so lucky...just over 16 months and 45k or so. I recently replaced that battery with a more expensive (but light years better) NAPA Legend battery.

My current tires went on at just over 225,000 miles (3rd replacement set, 4th including OEM), so the first 3 sets averaged over 75k miles each.

Just before hitting 210k miles, I had the spark plugs changed (only time), the serpentine belt changed (only time), and the parking brake adjusted/dust blown out of the rear brake shoes, and added a bit of coolant (no flush). I later replaced the control arm bolts as a preventative measure (see thread). Still have original clutch, radiator, engine, brakes, water pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, A/C, rear shocks, front struts, stereo etc. I was rear ended by a woman in a Camry on a 'low speed cloverleaf to a feeder road' a few months ago. I'm fine. My Yaris (after the bumper work) seems fine. Her insurance paid for everything.

The only negative I can think of is stability while driving through EXTREMELY STRONG cross winds. Most of the times I've experienced t.his, it has been while driving on the 80 MPH limit portion of I-10 (covers most of the distance between San Antonio and El Paso). This might not be an issue with the SE.....hopefully some SE owners will see your thread and chime in.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Surprising low maintenance costs. I haven't done anything but preventative maintenance and mine is about to hit 90,000 miles and I bought it in May of 06.

Well besides the mods. =). The car is surprisingly fun to drive for what it is.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I'm 6' 2" and the car is very comfortable. At just over 80K miles, I've changed tyres, battery, and hatch lifts. I love this car! It runs better now than the day I bought it. BTW, best automatic transmission I have ever driven!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
MidnaFan

Drives: Focus
Thank you very much all, especially nookandcranny :). This information has helped me quite a bit :). You guys rock!
MidnaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnaFan View Post
Thank you very much all, especially nookandcranny :). This information has helped me quite a bit :). You guys rock!
Good luck re your search !
Old 05-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
all Toyotas have crappy water pumps that usually go around 75-80k miles, but everything else is great.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
all Toyotas have crappy water pumps that usually go around 75-80k miles, but everything else is great.
Not exactly a valid blanket statement. 210,000kms on mine and original pump is not showing any signs of failure. I know a lot of owners in the over 100K mile club who've not had any issues. We hear a lot about failures on here, but we don't hear about those without issue.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
yea, total bullshit. Mine has 90k and not a problem, my father has a 1982 supra with over 250,000 miles and never had a problem with the water pump.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
yea, total bullshit. Mine has 90k and not a problem, my father has a 1982 supra with over 250,000 miles and never had a problem with the water pump.

i agree my made it to 150km only reason for replacement was a small leak on and off in the blow off otherwise it was fine ....i do find that they do go earlier on cars with AC , that is just based on my observation.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
but we don't hear about those without issue.
Almost 281,000 miles.....original water pump still on my Yaris and still performing well (no leaks, and no telltale 'sounds') .
Old 05-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
i agree my made it to 150km only reason for replacement was a small leak on and off in the blow off otherwise it was fine ....i do find that they do go earlier on cars with AC , that is just based on my observation.
I don't know about the ECHO, but in the U.S., the Yaris (at least to consumers...fleet might be different) has always come with A/C as standard equipment (I know that isn't the case in Canada). Given that the Yaris is the cheapest new Toyota, I wonder if all USDM Toyotas 2007 MY and beyond have come standard with A/C ? CTScott would probably know. I'd think that the only USDM vehicle that might not is the smallest, most stripped/bare bones pickup.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
Zantiszar

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2014 stocky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I don't know about the ECHO, but in the U.S., the Yaris (at least to consumers...fleet might be different) has always come with A/C as standard equipment (I know that isn't the case in Canada). Given that the Yaris is the cheapest new Toyota, I wonder if all USDM Toyotas 2007 MY and beyond have come standard with A/C ? CTScott would probably know. I'd think that the only USDM vehicle that might not is the smallest, most stripped/bare bones pickup.

I live in Puerto Rico (we have USDM cars) and over here if you bring a car without A/C I can bet that you will never sell it since over here in the island temps are 70-98 F year round so A/C is a must :P

Sent my iPush 4s?
Zantiszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
at this point everything in the USA has ac.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
at this point everything in the USA has ac.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I so want AC in my car may just install one tho 900$ is lots for a OEM then about 4 hrs work :/

sent from Mars !
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
I so want AC in my car may just install one tho 900$ is lots for a OEM then about 4 hrs work :/

sent from Mars !
I hear ya . In the 90s I bought a new Colt/Mirage with no A/C....and a black exterior to boot! I told myself I could add the A/C later. I had another car at the same time that had A/C.....an Acura that averaged many fewer miles per gallon....but even though I was paying more for gas while driving during hot weather, I still didn't force myself to part with the money to add A/C to the Colt/Mirage.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:18 AM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantiszar View Post
over here in the island temps are 70-98 F year round so A/C is a must :P

Sent my iPush 4s?
It gets well below 70 F in my zip code during the Winter...it has actually snowed a few times since 2008. With the heat index, it gets much hotter than 98 F outside my house. The hottest day since I moved here was in August of 2011. It was 105 F at my house, with a heat index of 120 F. A few miles away, the temp was 107.9 F...but the higher humidity level there brought the heat index into the mid 140s F (147 F, IIRC).