Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
conurebuddy

Drives: 5 dr Yaris LB
problem car

The Yaris I bought 5 days ago (brand new) needs a new transmission. I know its still under warranty but should I be worried that this car is going to be problematic in the future, or do you think this is just a random thing? Has anyone else had serious problems with their Yaris from the start? I realize I posted a similar thread recently, but a new transmission seems like reason for concern.
conurebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by conurebuddy View Post
The Yaris I bought 5 days ago (brand new) needs a new transmission. I know its still under warranty but should I be worried that this car is going to be problematic in the future, or do you think this is just a random thing? Has anyone else had serious problems with their Yaris from the start? I realize I posted a similar thread recently, but a new transmission seems like reason for concern.
That has to be a lemon. Toyota does not build products that lack quality and the Yaris no exception. It might lack luxury but it does not lack quality. This is not normal.
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I would be concerned as well, not with the Yaris in general but with your specific car.

Florida has a Lemon Law, I would look into it just in case. Here is a good overview of how you are covered:

Quote:
How The Florida Lemon Law Works

The Lemon Law covers defects or conditions that substantially impair the use, value or safety of the new or demonstrator vehicle (these are called "nonconformities"). These defects must be first reported to the manufacturer or it authorized service agent (usually, this is the dealer) during the "Lemon Law Rights Period," which is the first 24 months after the date of delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer. If the manufacturer fails to conform the vehicle to the warranty after a reasonable number of attempts to repair these defects, the law requires the manufacturer to buy back the defective vehicle and give the consumer a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle. The law does not cover defects that result from accident, neglect, abuse, modification or alteration by persons other than the manufacturer or its authorized service agent. DO NOT DELAY in reporting a problem as this may cost valuable time and protection.

Consumers should KEEP RECORDS of all repairs and maintenance. A written repair order should be obtained from the service agent (dealer) for each examination or repair under the warranty. The consumer should note the date the vehicle was taken in for repair and date he or she was notified that work was completed. Odometer mileage when the vehicle was taken to the shop and when it was picked up after repair should also be noted. Consumers should keep all receipts or invoices for payment of expenses related to the purchase/lease of the vehicle and to any repair.

If the vehicle has been back to the service agent for repair of the same recurring problem at least three times, the consumer gives written notification by certified, registered or express mail, to the manufacturer (not the dealer) to afford a final opportunity to repair the vehicle. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. Upon receipt of the notification, the manufacturer has 10 days to direct the consumer to a reasonably accessible repair facility, and then up to 10 days from delivery of the vehicle to fix it.

If the vehicle is in and out of the authorized repair shop for repair of one or more different problems for 15 or more cumulative days, the consumer gives written notification of this fact to the manufacturer (not the dealer), by certified, registered or express mail. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. After the manufacturer’s receipt of the notification, the manufacturer or its authorized service agent must have at least one opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle. The consumer may be eligible for a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle if the vehicle is out of service for repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.

If the manufacturer does not provide a refund or a replacement vehicle, consumers may invoke their rights through one or two arbitration programs. The dispute must be submitted for arbitration to a manufacturer sponsored program, if that program was certified by the State of Florida when the consumer purchase or leased the vehicle and the manufacturer's warranty or other written material explained how and where to file a claim with a state-certified program.

A list of Manufacturers who sponsor state-certified programs can be found by clicking here , or to find out if a manufacturer has a state-certified program, Consumers in Florida may call the Lemon Law Hotline (1-800-321-5366), consumers out of state may call (850) 488-2221. "State-certified" means the manufacturer’s program meets certain state and federal requirements; it does not mean that the program is administered or sponsored by the State of Florida.

If a manufacturer has no state-certified program, or if the manufacturer has a state-certified program, but the program fails to make a decision in 40 days, or the consumer is not satisfied with the state-certified program's decision, the dispute must be submitted to the Florida New Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board, which is administered by the Office of the Attorney General. The consumer initiates the process by contacting the Lemon Law Hotline (1-800-321-5366; 1-850-488-2221) to obtain a Request for Arbitration form. The form is submitted for eligibility screening to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Consumer Services.

Once a case is approved for arbitration before the Florida New Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board, a hearing will be scheduled within 40 days. A panel of three arbitrators hears the case at a location that is reasonably convenient for the consumer. Hearings are held during normal working hours and are conducted in accordance with Florida's Open Meetings Law. Arbitration hearings are conducted in English. Consumers who do not speak or understand English must bring an interpreter to the hearing, at the consumer’s expense. The interpreter should be fluent in both languages, since the hearing may contain very technical evidence that must be translated precisely. At the hearing's conclusion, the board renders an oral decision which is subsequently reduced to writing and mailed to the consumer and the manufacturer.

If the board determines the vehicle is a "lemon," the consumer is awarded either a replacement vehicle or a refund (the Consumer may choose whether they want a refund instead of a replacement vehicle), including costs incurred in connection with the acquisition of the vehicle (collateral charges) and costs directly caused by the substantial defect which resulted in the award (incidental charges). The consumer is charged an offset for the use of the vehicle. The offset is calculated according to a statutory formula based on the mileage attributable to the consumer as of the date of settlement or an arbitration hearing, whichever occurs first. The case is dismissed if the board rules in favor of the manufacturer. Decisions of the board are final unless an appeal is filed with the circuit court within 30 days. If the award is not appealed, the manufacturer must comply within 40 days of receipt of the written decision.
Best of luck to you, you may have had the unfortunate luck of getting one that had a bad transmission in it; but if you look through this forum you will see the vast majority of Yarii are trouble-free!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
BAD TRANSMISSION? please elaborate.........
Old 04-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccurrent View Post
That has to be a lemon. Toyota does not build products that lack quality and the Yaris no exception. It might lack luxury but it does not lack quality. This is not normal.
I would agree with that.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
nerp

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Meteorite Metallic
Yeah tell us the story. I want to hear. Manual or Automatic? What is the problem?
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerp View Post
Yeah tell us the story. I want to hear. Manual or Automatic? What is the problem?
+1
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
bah... the amount of Yaris being made and sold around the world. SOME must have problems right off the lot. It's no surprise.

if car xyz is being made in 2 samples only. and one fails, that makes 50% reliability right ?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
It's a random thing -- until it's not.

My experience reading this message forum is that the Yaris is, like most Toyota products, well made and very reliable.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
conurebuddy

I wish I could explain what was wrong with it but they didnt even tell me. I brought the car in for the check engine light 2 days after I bought it. They said a sensor in the transmission was sticking, and it took about an hour to fix. So the light came on yesterday, and thinking it'd be a quick fix I just brought it in and waited. After about 4 hours I asked him when it would be ready and he was like "probably monday. needs a new transmission." I dont think they were ever planning to tell me that until I asked. then he hands me a slip to get a rental for the weekend, but they wont rent me one because I'm 6 months away from being 21. so toyota left me stranded at their dealership with a brand new car that doesnt work. the dealer I bought the car from guaranteed me a rental whenever it needed work too, knowing I was under 21. is toyota supposed to be good with their customer service too, or just in their actual car quality? I'm extremely disappointed with the way they handled everything.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
SailDesign

Drives: .
My local dealership (Newport Toyota) has a fleet of loaners. No rental. all they need is a credit card swipe in case anything stupid happens, and you're good to go. You KNOW they have insurance for the really bad stuff, but if you scrape it against another car on the lot, they will exact something from you....
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
conurebuddy

yeah, my dealership owns their cars that they rent out to you too. they just wont give you one if you're under 21, even though they say they will when you actually buy the car.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Don't be concerned. The Yaris is far from problematic. Apart from the recall there is nothing to worry about. Just be glad your getting a free brand new transmission.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
yeah, my dealership owns their cars that they rent out to you too. they just wont give you one if you're under 21, even though they say they will when you actually buy the car.
A car salesman saying something that isn't true before a sale? WHAAAAT?

How many miles were on the car when you got it? Could be a random defect, could be the car one of the lot boys drove around on his last day.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
I just got a new transmission? Its fantastic now that it works, good luck with your car!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #16
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
This is a one in a million thing. The Yaris is literally one of the most trouble free cars you can own. I think once your new transmission is in, you should be fine.

There's a member here who already has well over 300,000 miles on his '07 (courier work) and he hasn't had a single problem yet. Just oil changes, tires, spark plugs, ect.

Good luck.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #17
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
This is a one in a million thing. The Yaris is literally one of the most trouble free cars you can own. I think once your new transmission is in, you should be fine.

There's a member here who already has well over 300,000 miles on his '07 (courier work) and he hasn't had a single problem yet. Just oil changes, tires, spark plugs, ect.

Good luck.
ummm my transmission did not go into third gear, but it was a slow death for my transmission I have 33,757 miles on my car.... started making synchro death noise at 6,000rpms from 2nd to thrid(jan-august 08), then 4,500 rpms from 2nd to thrid (august 08-Jan 09) and then 3,000rpms (Jan 09-April 09)... and at that point I got completely fed up and took it to the dealer for a new transmission
Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #18
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
My alarm likes to go off randomly while your cruising on the freeway and then you have to pull over and disarm and rearm and disarm. And then the drivers door dosnt unlock with the remote only when it wants to. And theres a loud noise every time you lock or unlock the door you can hear it from the inside. I assume its the door lock actuator. I have had my yaris for about 7 months now. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote