Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
euroa4

Drives: BT A4, VR6 Jetta, Yaris
Squealing after water pump blew

My gf and I took her Yaris across country for Memorial day weekend. The waterpump started making a noise in Ohio and without knowing anyone, we decided to hail mary it to her fathers in Kentucky. We no longer to her dads and the water pump finally flung the belt b/c the bearing was no longer present (at 64,XXX).

We get a new pump, put it all together and a new belt. It started and was fine for the first day, but after that, when she starts the car now, it squeals VERY loud, and she has to drive the car a little bit down the road and it stops.

Now, its squealing while idling, turning and even driving down the road.

Any idea what it could be guys? Alt is good. Could it be the new waterpump? we unfortunately didnt buy a dealer part, as we werent near a dealer.
euroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Loose belt. Tighten it up.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
euroa4

we have.. we even thought it was overtight, as her uncle pried to tightened it.

still does it.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

May have gotten a little contamination with oil, antifreeze or something. It's slipping at any rate. Clean the belt and pulleys really well with detergent and check the tightness. There are belt dressings, rosin and such that you could try if that doesn't work, I suppose.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
I think you might want to just get a new belt from a DIFFERENT manufacturer. I have experienced other instances of squealing with new belts, and it seems, sometimes the angle of the "V" is just a little off, so the grip in the pulley is not what it should be. Replacing the belt with a different brand cured the problem. You might want to, when the belt is removed, try turning the pump pulley by hand to verify that it's not binding....
PB Blaster, or (WD-40 last resort) might even quiet the belt till it works itself in...
If you spray the belt, and pulley and the squealing does not stop... It might also be that you're chasing the wrong belt squealing...
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
euroa4

I did put some PB on it last night.. i think it might just be the Duralast belt, which is all they had in stock.

Today I am going to get a better belt for it and take it apart and clean the pulleys and really crank the belt.. it squealed LESS with the belt heeman tight, then it does now, just pulled tight and cranked down.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I'm thinking that spraying lubricant on a slipping belt might not be the most rational approach to the problem.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by euroa4 View Post
we have.. we even thought it was overtight, as her uncle pried to tightened it.

still does it.
if you burnt the belt from it being too loose initially, then the squeal
may never stop
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Along the lines of belt dressings and such, and being a cheap ass shadetree sort of guy, I'll pass on that I've been told molasses or syrup works to increase a belt's coefficient of friction.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
euroa4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
if you burnt the belt from it being too loose initially, then the squeal
may never stop
When it was first put on, it was VERY tight. The alt was pried over, you could barely twist the belt. It squealed some then.

We got back home to PA, I loosened it some, its starting to squeal more. I know its from being looser, but if its slipping, its not affecting anything more then making noise. its not "loose" by any means. Its still very tight.

I am thinking its the belt.

I sprayed PB on it, thinking if the pulleys are nasty, it'd at least keep it quiet till i could clean them.

I am going to pick up a better brand belt in a few minutes and replace it, cleaning the pulleys once the other belt is off.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
euroa4

put a new belt on, so far so good.

my worry and point of this thread, was incase maybe if coolant gets into the AC clutch, it'd screw it up, etc.. as it did its worse squealing with the AC compressor engaged.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
spray it with brake cleaner while it's running, or put some rtv on it and then immediately start it.

it doesnt take too much rtv as it will spray everywhere...but like a small glob on ur finger and rub it into the grooves if it has them...and then turn it on and let it rub in a while...
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote