Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Beautiful car mate

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #20
Carvin'07
Selling all mods

Drives: '07 Bayou Blue - totally stock
Cool

Hi kwiken,

For background, I used to drive a 1992 '6 bolt' turbo AWD DSM - Eagle Talon/Mitsu Eclipse modified with boost controller, K&N filter, suspension, 264 degree cams, piggyback computer, 550cc injectors, Walbro 190lph pump etc, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiken
... how to get an extra 15-20 more hp without piggy backing,re mapping,or anything that has to do with putting it on a dyno.All I want is a safe/cool temp 160hp....
The best option in my opinion is to upgrade/install a bigger and more efficient intercooler and piping. A front mount intercooler is the best option if you have the room in your bumper opening. Be careful of the brand and the thickness of the core as it will make a dramatic difference in pressure drop (reduces the turbo pressure because of the extra volume required by the intercooler). This will make the intake charge more dense and thus more power. The turbo is the major contibutor to heat and thus robs power from your engine. The only drawback with the front mount intercooler is that you may need to install a higher CFM rated radiator and A/C fan. These are not too expensive and can dramatically improve the heat management of your engine bay.

Definitely a full exhaust from the turbo back is a good idea as well. The bigger and more free-flowing the better. For your desired power level, you might consider a 2.5" full exhaust. A free flowing catalytic converter as well would benefit you. You could port your exhaust manifold and all other cast exhaust pieces to be matched with the adjoining piece. This is easily done in your garage with a Dremel tool or air-powered die-grinder with a carbide bit. Sorry, I'm not sure if you have cast pieces on your vehicle -- I'm not familliar with that model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiken
... Another problem is it is designed for min 95 oct fuel.In thailand they use a lot of Ethonal based Gasahol which claim 95 oct. but I am not sure if it can be used on a tubo(any ideas)
Gasahol, although they claim higher octane, it does not have the same efficiency as normal gasoline. The BTU/volume is lower. Thus, it may be higher octane than other grades, but the ethanol in it effectively lowers the octane by a slight margin over their claimed level. When I used to do quarter mile runs, I would put in a full tank of 94 octane gasohol and it was only marginally better than the 91 octane non-ethanol (measured by knock sums on similar temperature days).

You may be able to gain much more extra power by upgrading your intercooler and piping (as few bends, or as gently bent as possible to ensure the speed of the intake charge is highest) than by anything else.

I hope that this helps,
Carvin'
Carvin'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:16 AM   #21
RossP

Drives: MK I Vitz 1.0l F Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
You can find the Yaris Turbo only in Switcherland.
And finland/swden
RossP is offline   Reply With Quote